Plug Ins Not Showing Up On PT!

at the risk of making a further arse of myself,,,,,,,:p

theres none of the ones i downloaded lately showing up at all

downloaded as a .dmg
,,which i then click on to open,,and move the plug in icon
into the Digidesign/Plugins Alias folder

the VST ones will only work if you purchase the VST/RTAS wrapper from FxPansion. And you don't necessarily need to install them into the Digidesign plugins folder

the .dpm files you have there are mostly all the plugins you already have installed that came with Pro Tools (or were RTAS ones you downloaded). Provided you installed them correctly, they should be there.

the VST ones will only work if you purchase the VST/RTAS wrapper from FxPansion. And you don't necessarily need to install them into the Digidesign plugins folder

the .dpm files you have there are mostly all the plugins you already have installed that came with Pro Tools (or were RTAS ones you downloaded). Provided you installed them correctly, they should be there.

They might work with the wrapper - there's no real guarantee.

theres none of the ones i downloaded lately showing up at all

downloaded as a .dmg

Just because they are dmg files doesn't mean that what is contained in the image file is necessarily RTAS format. It could just be a mac installer for a vst.

Last edited:
They might work with the wrapper - there's no real guarantee.

most should. Of the ones I've tried only a handful seem to have problems (I have most of the ones he listed). Of the ones that don't work they still show up but some have GUI problems or just crash on opening. Still, for the cost of the wrapper, it's worth it just to have even 10 of those plugins at your disposal

For the benefit of Mobsterpop and before we get to deep into wrapping and unwrapping non-RTAS plug-ins.

Mosterpop if you're planning on staying with Pro Tools it would be wise to digest what is and what is not Pro Tool compatible.

Digidesign historically has always driven to keep their systems clean by demanding that all third party plug-in developers code specifically to Digi's spec. Hence the RTAS protocol. Thousands of debates concerning this "closed door" protocol have long since come and gone. Like it or not, and for what ever reasons, one thing is fairly clear. RTAS plug-ins were written specifically for Pro Tools and the advantages of that should be obvious.

An interim software protocol referred to as wrappers came along and said you can use what was originally designed for VST applications (Cubase for example) in Pro Tools by installing a wrapper. The merits of doing so are expanded plug-in selections. But it obviously does not come without a price. Some VST plug-ins work with a wrapper some decidedly do NOT.

I'm not sure how and what you are doing with Pro Tools. Some do audio and composition some much more in tune with tinkering with software. If it's audio your really interested in the massive amount of RTAS specific plug-ins should get you several decades down the road before you're out of usable plug-ins and you have the piece of mind knowing that if and when your system acts up you'll not have to worry about non-supported plug-ins.

In the mean time I might suggest that if your not sure about what you can and or can't install...............DON'T

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the replies guys, i always appreciate it

i really am just muddling on with Pro Tools as i go
hence the dumb questions i find myself having to ask on here
im really not at all technically minded in the least
so even getting to where i am now in PT has been a challenge

all id ever used before was either cassette recording machines
or my wee red box Fostex MR8
So its been quite the step up for me

i do find the idea of the plug ins of various types all very confusing

jeez,,i never even ever did get my head around the idea of having an aux track for reverb,despite the best efforts of Benny/Brett and all:o

i must revisit that thread if its still on here now that i think about it
cos im still just using reverb on each track as i need it,
and i know thats not good

i wil take JosephHanna's advice and desist from downloading any plugins
as i really have no idea what im doing
i just thought,hey,,these are free,,lets play with these
but it wasnt to be!

im just trying to get my songs recorded at home ,sounding as good as i can

Back