Please take a look at my web site.

64Firebird

I'm working in a new we site for shameless self promotion. It's far from finished, but I'd like to know how it looks on different people's screens. I do a lot of artwork on my computer, so I have a very high res and it may not look as good on other systems. I don't want things like having to scroll to the side.

Anyway, here's a link. Let me know what you think.

Click Here.

Looks like it gets the job done so far :) My only suggestion so far would be changing the font to something like Ariel. I dunno. I just never like seeing Times New Roman on webpages.

What's your exact purpose for the page? You might want to develop other sections like gigs, bio, contact, guestbook, merch etc...Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I plan on doing all that. I just wanted to get some input on how it was looking before I went too far with it. I'd really hate to have to redo everything after it was finished.

You don't like the font? I've never thought about it. I just chose it because it's easy to read. But, it might be better with something a little more interesting.

Well - It's an extremely simplified geocities page.

I think to make any sort of decent site one would have to use fireworks at least.

Also you are using that frame on the top of the page...

Any web designer will tell you frames are absolutely unacceptable.

They are not compatible with other browsers at all - and can cause nightmares!

My site is done with all html (except some php) and of course the fireworks picture....

http://www.audiowebs.com/Home/Home.php

I'm not saying check it out because I run a web business - I mean check out the simple use of tables and blue shades :)

If you have any specific html questions or some javascript ideas I could help ya (for free).... lemme know!

Wow, AudioWebs, you are full of erroneous pronouncements today!

I think to make any sort of decent site one would have to use fireworks at least.

Fireworks (from Macromedia) is a graphics program that has some tools that make it easy to prepare images for the web. It wouldn't help him build the site per se.

Also you are using that frame on the top of the page...

Any web designer will tell you frames are absolutely unacceptable.

They are not compatible with other browsers at all - and can cause nightmares!

I'm a web designer and I'll tell you that frames are perfectly acceptable if you know how to use them properly. The reason they are unpopular is that they are difficult for novices to work with and very easy to muck up.

Any recent version of Netscape or IE handles frames just fine, and this was also a true statement five years ago,

Not only are they acceptable, sometimes they are the best way to do certain things.

AudioWebs, maybe you can be a little less absolute in some of your statements here at Home Recording? There are many very savvy people here that will call you on stuff like this, and it's not a great service to the uninitiated to tell them blanket "truths" like this.

I agree with AlChuck, you gotta settle it down a notch there AudioWebs.

(anyway....)
About your website 64 firebird:

I would make the main image (very first page) centered. It showed up on the right hand side of my screen (unless that's what you are going for)
As far as the frame is concerned, leave it or take it off, whatever, it's your call. I would make sure the scrolling bars don't show up though (peeve of mine)

P.S. nice gear collection
:D

AlChuck - Apparently you have never used FireWorks, and are not currently designing websites. And if you are, and you're using frames - then you have not gotten much certifications in the past 5 years.

Fireworks makes web coding in the following formats

PHP
CSS
JavaScript
HTML

This has nothing to do with making images. This is pure web code. I have certification in PHP, CSS, ASP, HTML, C++, and DELPHI as well as in FireWorks, Flash, and a few other programs.

My comments come from ten years of experience and are for 64's help only. I'm not interested in debating this. I know what is and isn't up to date and don't need to debate professional training.

sae said:
I agree with AlChuck, you gotta settle it down a notch there AudioWebs.

Yes I just quoted myself :D

Help 64firebird, and get off your soap box.

Oh ya I forgot:

for someone that has been doing webdesign for 10 years, your site don't look so hot...maybe some of your projects do, but I didn't see any listed. :rolleyes:

I can think of better examples of color coordination (is that the proper term mr. webdesign?) than your site...which is OBVIOUSLY spam.

I mean you state that your "company" is there to make websites for artists, etc. and you don't have that many posts, so there is a good chance you registered here to advertise.

Heh - insulting really is a sign of smarts.

My site doesn't look so hot?

Who says having longer experience would make you have a site with sounds and flash and movies and crap?

You're not a web designer so you wouldnt know - sites simplicity and ease of navigation is important.

My site has gotten be "oodles" of business.....

......so apparently it's just fine.

simple=good
I will not disagree with you there.

Why do you assume I am not a web designer?

You sure don't charge like a webdesigner. Are you really doing this for a living?

What are you running your server on anyway? Clarkconnect? Do you at least have a good connection for your $15 for 6 months hosting?

come on.

I don't want to argue.

There is an unwritten rule here at hr.com...don't go spouting off like you know everything Most people here are humble.

We are hijacking the thread. I am done with you.

sae said:
simple=good
I will not disagree with you there.

Why do you assume I am not a web designer?

You sure don't charge like a webdesigner. Are you really doing this for a living?

What are you running your server on anyway? Clarkconnect? Do you at least have a good connection for your $15 for 6 months hosting?

come on.

I don't want to argue.

There is an unwritten rule here at hr.com...don't go spouting off like you know everything Most people here are humble.

We are hijacking the thread. I am done with you.

Hey Sae, how are ya.
Well, I mean it's statistically unlikely you would be a web designer.

Currently I have 5 sources of income. All normal by themselves but add up to decent for a single person. I came out of the 9 to 5 job area 2 years ago and decided I'd branch out and have some from.

AudioWebs is designed for as I said audiophiles, but specifically those who really don't want to pay anything for a website, but are surprised at our prices.

I am doing it as a small hobbie and a favor to the musical community.

There are millions (probably) of people such as 64 firebird who would like a nice place to put up their work. But at 50 dollars an hour or more, it's not worth it.

It's a just a helpful small company for kids and grown ups who want a nice site to go with their music :) I like to promote the sharing of music!

I wasn't pretending to know everything, but I do know a few things very well - and I make it known.

My hosting service is very good. I currently have 6 of my own websites with them and have not had a single second of downtime since 2001....

They use redirection for their updates.

Regarding my hosting price - Like I said I do it as a little hobby for music people online. It brings in neglegible money - and I'm not expecting it to bring in more!

Good lord, AudioWebs, I really don't know what to say. I don't really feel like getting into a pissing contest. Your blanket pronouncements are no more true because you have "certification in PHP, CSS, ASP, HTML, C++, and DELPHI as well as in FireWorks, Flash, and a few other programs" and come from "from ten years of experience" than my statements are wrong because I have no certifications and have, oh, I guess only about seven years in web stuff.

Re FireWorks, I guess I'm off base, last I looked it was a graphics package, and I supposed it probably had tools to write HTML for image maps and maybe standard JavaScript tricks. But that was 5 years ago. Hmmm... looking at Macromedia's websie, it seems FireWorks is still not a website builder. Are you talking abouyt the MX products taken together -- DreamWeaver, Flash, etc.? Can yoiuy really use Fireworks alone to make an entire website? It sure doesn't appear that way from their website. They talk about it integrating with these other tools:

"Broad support for all major graphics formats and HTML editors means you'll works seamlessly and productively in any design or development team."

but not replacing them. Maybe you can explain your comments a bit more.

As to this comment: "And if you are, and you're using frames - then you have not gotten much certifications in the past 5 years." Well, no. I can't claim to have gotten any certifications in the last five or ten years, or ever for that matter. I haven't needed to. When I need to learn to use a software tool or a technology, I learn what I need to know and I use it. If I ever am required to get a certification for a job, I'll go take the classes and pass the tests if the company pays.

As for my use of frames -- there are certain uses when a page really needs to have separate windows that don't all have to be reloaded all the time -- saves having to call back to the server to load everything rather than part of it. Frames are often ideal for this purpose, and as I said before and will say again, they work perfectly well if you understand the heirarchy and make sure to always target the correct frames. I might, for example, have a top pane with some controls, and a lower pane filled with content that the controls update. Why load the controls over and over and over again if you just have to reload the bottom frame? You can also scroll the bottom frame while leaving the control pane in place. Maybe there's a tricky way to use DIVs to scroll one area and leave the other alone, but that would be something I have little confidence that would work as well across different browsers, even now that Naigator and IE support the same document model.

AudioWebs said:

I wasn't pretending to know everything, but I do know a few things very well - and I make it known.

yawn:o

I have not gotten any awards either, I have designed websites for a while though. All for friends or family. I think I do an alright job. But I am always looking to improve myself

Do I ask a lot by asking you to be humble?
I think not

64firebird don't give a rats about your "certifications" just give him some PRACTICAL advise on his site

ok?

I am humble.

And not only offered him suggestions but free help as well.

It's this Al guy who's boasting he knows it all - not me. I just know that he's wrong, that's all.

Of course Sae, you're bias since you have probably known this Al guy a while and of course would stand up for anything he says.

I don't mean that as rude, we all stand-up for people we know over strangers, it's human nature.

Anyhow 64 - If ya need any coding advice or any cool scripts etc... I've got some good software I could whip something up with!

Guys - Don't Even Try.

The Ignore function works wonders.

Back to 64's website -

I tried frames and as a newbie could never figure out what I wanted them to do, so I ditched them and explored tables, which are pretty useful. Take a quick gander at my page (WWW icon below) and you'll see a Microgrunge-for-dummies-msword-schlepped-together site. But it works OK, good for entry level stuff and is pretty easy to navigate.

I think your opening graphic is really, really good. Having your name on a separate frame causes part of it to become obscured by the pic on my screen, and that's not effective.

I also like black for a background.

It's this Al guy who's boasting he knows it all - not me. I just know that he's wrong, that's all.

???

I don't think I boasted at all... I just called you on what I saw as extreme pronouncements which are your opinions but that you are touting as fact.

(well... looking back, maybe I did come off a little boasty with the comment that made it sound like "I don't need no stinking certifications." Sorry.)

Of course Sae, you're bias since you have probably known this Al guy a while and of course would stand up for anything he says.

First of all, he would be biased if he knew me, not bias.

Second of all, I don't know sae any better than I know you.

I don't mean that as rude, we all stand-up for people we know over strangers, it's human nature.

You don't mean that as rude? It sure comes across that way.

Apologies to 64Firebird, my criticism of AudioWeb's comments seems to have somewhat hijacked his thread.

Audiowebs is a hate filled troll.Check out the cave for some of her gems.Dont waste your time on this idiot.

Back