Pics of My Studio Conception to Finish

What Do You Think of My Humble Setup?

• Total voters
You know what's interesting about this whole exchange? It's a perfect example of the principal that the way you say something is as important as what you say. Brian is 100% correct in terms of the CV's he's pointing out, but his delivery is so abrasive that he's defeating the purpose of making the points at all. You can't just jump on somebody, tell them that everything they're doing sucks (even if it does) and expect them to not get offended. Some diplomacy is required if you want someone to actually DO what you're suggesting they do. That's just kinda the way people are.

Brian, I hear you man, and I honestly believe that you're concerned for the health and welfare of anybody working in that room. I also know that you've spent a long time learning your trade and there's some level of offensiveness in seeing it done in a substandard way. If you really want to get that across though, you may want to tone down the delivery just a bit.

...by the way, having worked in AV design for years and years, I'd say electrical work is the one thing you should NEVER do yourself. It's like rigging...if something goes wrong, people die. Qualified EC's are not that expensive, and you know it's done right.

Frank

Listen a$$wipe, you must be blind or something because my post is not berating in the slightest

How is calling it "hack work" not berating? And by the way; if you want to call me an "ass wipe" call me an "ass wipe" not an "a$$ wipe." Just say it.

You know what's interesting about this whole exchange? It's a perfect example of the principal that the way you say something is as important as what you say. Brian is 100% correct in terms of the CV's he's pointing out, but his delivery is so abrasive that he's defeating the purpose of making the points at all. You can't just jump on somebody, tell them that everything they're doing sucks (even if it does) and expect them to not get offended. Some diplomacy is required if you want someone to actually DO what you're suggesting they do.

Exactly!!! No one has contradicted anything you said Brian. All anyone has said is that you come off like an asshole for the way you communicate it. So yeah, I neg repped you, get the fuck over it. If you act like an asshole you get treated like an asshole. So either accept it or act differently.

How is calling it "hack work" not berating? And by the way; if you want to call me an "ass wipe" call me an "ass wipe" not an "a$$ wipe." Just say it.

Exactly!!! No one has contradicted anything you said Brian. All anyone has said is that you come off like an asshole for the way you communicate it. So yeah, I neg repped you, get the fuck over it. If you act like an asshole you get treated like an asshole. So either accept it or act differently.

^ Aggressive little so and so... :D

Dr. V

^ Aggressive little so and so... :D

Dr. V

yeah, maybe. I just really tired of these know-it-all types who think that being brash and abrassive is somehow cool or the way to approach situations. I don't know the first thing about electrics, so I don't know if his facts are straight, but the approach and delivery are all wrong and I'm tired of it. So, yeah, I probably am/was, but that's not my normal mode of operations.

I'm sure you're really a very cracking fellow, Dennis. And I was only joking. Just try not to take him^ and yourself so seriously.

I don't mean any proper offence, mate. I don't think I'd have put it quite like that myself, either - but people are very down-to-earth in the building trade, where I'm from. It's not all nice but I've become used to it.

Dr. V

Last edited:
Lets move past it!

Alright guys, I just got back to work and started reading this. I want to add my two cents in, and when I state this, I want each of you to know that really I am not a negative person, and I can really take constructive criticism, as a matter of fact I welcome it!

It is not what Oshman said that briefly disturbed me, it was in fact how, or as someone stated earlier: the delivery. Obviously the guy knows what he is doing, and for that I do respect it, as for anyone that has a special trade that they worked hard to achieve.

I sent Oshman a message telling him that he will not make many friends in this forum being so abrasive with comments like that. It was insulting to a degree to call what my uncle did hack work. We are talking about a man who retired as a chief engineer in the merchant marines handling voltages that exceeded 1000 volts. If I was going to trust anyone to do this kind of work, it would be him. Now, he consulted with an electrician (his brother) on some issues before we set out to do it. And before someone pipes in with "code is code for a reason", we were perfectly well aware of that. I fully understood that when we did it. It is by no means perfect, but it works. And as far as posing a hazard, I totally disagree. Sure, we could have taken some extra steps in the wiring process, but the main issues were taken care of. Each outlet is grounded, and yes, we do have a ground rod. As far as the other issues are concerned, I have no ability to speak of these things, for I know not of them.

I am a PC and network technician by trade, as well as a deputy sheriff for the county I work in. Although I am not like this, many of my colleagues are (much like what Dr. V said): they will tear down another techs work and redo it, and the end result: it still works the same way. I wish I had $5 for every time I heard the words, "I don't know why he did it like this" or "he shouldn't have done this". In the end I take it with a grain of salt.

I appreciate everyone who has supported this project from the beginning, and I hate that the topic changed course to one so negative. Maybe I should have just ignored the comment, took it for what it was and moved on.

Well anyway, changing the subject, I am on an emotional high right now, I just purchased Ultimate Studio Drums from www.esoundz.com for $99- normally a $500 program. It's downloadable too, so when my studio burns up from bad electrical work, I can redownload them! YeeHaw!

I appreciate all the folks who gave their input concerning this issue. And, if Oshman truly did mean to help and not berate, then I appreciate that as well! People are who they are I suppose, but as a networking forum, we don't necessarily have to sugar coat things, but as open posts that EVERYONE can read, we need to be careful how we talk to our fellow engineer. We all have a love and passion for this thing, otherwise we would not be here talking about it right? So let's love what the other guy is doing and give criticism in a constructive manner. Just take heed to what I said Oshman, you'll be alright if you tone down the delivery from now on.

I agree we should move on and I also agree that constructive critisism isn't always brusque but sometimes it seems that way. However, just a couple of points...

It was insulting to a degree to call what my uncle did hack work. We are talking about a man who retired as a chief engineer in the merchant marines handling voltages that exceeded 1000 volts. If I was going to trust anyone to do this kind of work, it would be him.

How long ago did he retire? Standards do change over the years...

studiogenocide said:
It is by no means perfect, but it works. And as far as posing a hazard, I totally disagree. Sure, we could have taken some extra steps in the wiring process, but the main issues were taken care of. Each outlet is grounded, and yes, we do have a ground rod.

In your opinion, in what way isn't it perfect? What extra steps do you think you could have taken in the wiring process?

studiogenocide said:
As far as the other issues are concerned, I have no ability to speak of these things, for I know not of them.

In which case, how do you know it is not perfect? What other issues were there?

studiogenocide said:
I appreciate everyone who has supported this project from the beginning, and I hate that the topic changed course to one so negative.

I agree and I'm sorry to see it swing that way for a while. I don't mean to grill you and even if you decide not to answer them here, I hope you will ask yourself these questions, privately and get it finally checked by a currently qaulified sparks. No disrespect to your uncle, of course.

studiogenocide said:
Maybe I should have just ignored the comment, took it for what it was and moved on.

I'm glad you didn't ignore it but at the same time, it might have been better to take it with a grain of salt, as you do with the others you've encountered. Not in a flippant sense; just looked past the delivery, perhaps? I do appreciate that it can feel as though someone is insulting a family member, so I can understand your frustration... But that's life.

studiogenocide said:
Well anyway, changing the subject, I am on an emotional high right now

And so you should be, sir! Changing the subject, I have to say I have been mightily inspired by your efforts and it's been a fascinating journey, watching your project develop, so thanks for sharing. :)

So, I'd like to close by simply wishing you happy recording!

Take it easy

Dr. V

You know, I read it and read it and didn't see where I was abrasive or berating and that was not my intention. When it comes to things that need to be done right I call a spade a spade. I did also mention that I liked the rest of the build out and you did a great job on that.

I mentioned it because for your safety and for others that would read this and think that what they see is not a problem and attempt to copy it. Since it is public it might as well have been noted what the problems are so all bases are covered.

My comments were in no way meant to disrespect you or anything like that, it was just to simply point out the potential problems that may or may not become a life changing issue. Code or not, code is in place to make sure that people that have no idea how things work will not get hurt.

If you took my post the wrong way well then I'm sorry, it was not meant to slam you. I didn't have tone when I posted it. I just don't sugar coat things that require no margin for error. If it made you think or re evaluate what you did to make sure that you mad it as safe as possible then my work is done.

Again, nice job on the space and hope you enjoy it.

Brian

I can deal with that

Alright Dr V- as far as the extra steps, what I meant was we could have run the wiring inside of conduit, or used more staples on the wires, etc. Nothing serious, but it could have been neater.

What I know the least about is the junction box. I would not know which post to neutral or which post to ground, I would have to refer to the instructions, and even then I would be afraid to flip the breaker, because frankly I am afraid of electricity. But I do know there were separate posts at any rate, the pic was misleading, if I recall there was another row of posts directly behind the other row to bond to (which made it appear that the white nuetral and black ground was bonded on the same posts).

There is only one way to wire an electrical outlet as far as I know. There are posts for each wire depending on whether it is the end of the line or tied in to continue the circuit- that one (to me) is a no brainer. As far as the grounding however, I am not exactly sure how else you would do it, I think we used electrical tape over several twists of the copper ground (about 1 1/2") and twist capped them together. This procedure I was unsure of myself, but my uncle had done this in his own home and it has been standing for 29 years.

We used a dedicated line for the A/C unit. We used three lines for electrical outlets, and we piggybacked for the light switches. (I questioned the piggybacking too Oshman, and they assured it me it was perfectly okay for the light load they would handle) One line is open for outside lighting and security system when this gets installed. If I remember correct, we used (4) 20 amp and (1) 30 amp using 12/2 wire on the inside (10/2 for the A/C) and I believe 10/3 or 8/3 on the outside. Keep in mind we only use about 1/8 of the outlets in our build- so there is no worry from overloading a circuit- they were placed their for convenience, should I move some stuff around at a later time.

I remember Oshman saying something about grounding the actual outlet box, but we used plastic boxes, not metal- but here again that just seems to me to be an extra step in grounding. If the ground runs to the post which run to the rod, should not that in most cases be sufficient (assuming you don't get a direct hit, which anything could happen- right)? Electricity takes the path of least resistance, so to the rod it goes, right?

Alright. I know I may have made a complete fool of myself, but this is my Lamen's knowledge of electric. Hit me with everything you got.

Bring on the tunes......:D:p:D

I know das right!!!

I was messing around in the studio the other day, just goofing off really and was trying to come up with an intro to a really cool song I wrote. I was really happy with the result- very quiet (not used to that- I recorded all my older material in a wide open room with everything else in it) and man do I love Sampletank 2.5... I could not ask for better samples to complete all my work. I just love this digital age we live in, all this affordable stuff, and really more than I could ever use in my lifetime. I have access to so many libraries of things I could only dream to have...

Alright. I know I may have made a complete fool of myself, but this is my Lamen's knowledge of electric. Hit me with everything you got.

Only where you spelled 'layman'! :D

No, seriously, mate - no fool could have built what you have. I hope I haven't come across as talking down to you.

I once tried to repair an amplifier and for some reason, I'm still not sure of, I ramped the voltage bias, without knowing what I was doing. Now THAT was foolish! AV forums were relatively kind but I could tell what they were thinking.

Kind regards

Dr. V

No, seriously, mate - no fool could have built what you have. I hope I haven't come across as talking down to you.

Dr. V

Not at all. I take it all in stride- just wanted to clear up what was going through my mind when it was all going down. And to think it all started with Sonic Foundry's Acid Music and a $300 External CD burner a short 11 years ago.... :)

I am blessed with what I have, and am blessed to have such good folks that I can count on in this forum to help the way they have. I could have never done it without the expertise from these guys!

I know this isn't the forum

I know this isn't the place to post files, but I just thought I would share a 20 second clip of me coming up with an intro to a song I wrote and basically goofing off. It is not up for critique, like I said b4, this is me toying with an idea coming up with an intro to my new song, totally unedited except I boosted the lows on the gtr. Just thought you guys would like a taste of the first unofficial recording to take place inside my doghouse!

http://www.box.net/shared/aokjdsynuy

Last edited:
Back