People that delete or replace song files previously posted with new mixes

Maybe I'm different than most people, but when I change something, I destroy all evidence of anything before it. In other words, when I make any changes to a song, I delete anything before it. Not only here, but also in my computer. But I'm a bit strange that way. I never write anything down, I never document how I recorded something, including amp settings, mic placements, etc....I don't use templates of any kind. Every single song I do, I start with a blank page and a blank project in REAPER. So, basically, there is only one version of anything I've ever done, and that's the last version.

So, even if they changed edit options here or anything else, there will only be the "latest" version of anything I do. Ever.

Maybe I'm different than most people, but when I change something, I destroy all evidence of anything before it. In other words, when I make any changes to a song, I delete anything before it. Not only here, but also in my computer. But I'm a bit strange that way. I never write anything down, I never document how I recorded something, including amp settings, mic placements, etc....I don't use templates of any kind. Every single song I do, I start with a blank page and a blank project in REAPER. So, basically, there is only one version of anything I've ever done, and that's the last version.

So, even if they changed edit options here or anything else, there will only be the "latest" version of anything I do. Ever.

I'm mostly the same way. And really, in my time here, I'd guess that you and I have probably posted more songs in here than anyone. I'm not saying that to brag or anything, it's just probably true. You and I have posted a lot of stuff in here. So....we're supposed to keep every single incarnation of every mix we've ever made? That would be a lot of stuff.

I'm mostly the same way. And really, in my time here, I'd guess that you and I have probably posted more songs in here than anyone. I'm not saying that to brag or anything, it's just probably true. You and I have posted a lot of stuff in here. So....we're supposed to keep every single incarnation of every mix we've ever made? That would be a lot of stuff.
True. Besides, I can barely even listen to anything I do if it's more than a week old. Why would anyone else want to? :eek: :D

At a guess, I'd say the majority of people would feel like this.
I generally replace-as-I-go.

The only reason there are old versions in my current thread is cos it took ages to get the vocals down and I figured people might not remember the demo versions.
It's probably the exception.

Hell I don't often even repost an updated mix. I take in all of the feedback of my initial mix, decide which ideas I want to implement, and if/when that song sees the light of day again on an album I'll already have made the changes. I've got a big notebook with every song and all of the changes I want to make before they're really finished. I'll sometimes pull up an old thread to review the suggestions. I respect and appreciate all feedback, but that doesn't mean I have to use all or any of it. I'm the ultimate decider when it comes to my own music, and I pretty much never repost the totally finished version..

I understand the 'obliterate everything but the final result' thing. I also understand that this place becomes more useful as a learning tool if a series of mixes is in place, especially if it reflects the online discussion and suggestions and tweaks that took place. And if people here start learning better or faster as a result, it raises the bar for everyone. If people who listen to my stuff have smarter ears as a result, that means I get better feedback. Win.

Finally, if it were possible to do what's being suggested, it would be up to you whether you left your mix series in place or erased all the steps leading up to the finale. Dealer's choice. Which is how it should be.

You know what'd be a better option?
Leave the mp3 clinic exactly as it is but have a separate place called mix tutorials (or hijack "mix this") for people to post progress threads where that is the main goal.

People could show their workings and describe what they did. They could detail their processes, revelations, advice they got from others etc.
That way you'd have the clinic for self improvement (or whatever) and this other place for teaching/sharing.
I mean, it'd basically be the clinic but it'd be a requirement that your first mix really is raw tracking or bare bones.

I expect it'd be a lot slower than the clinic but that might not be a bad thing.

PS. I'm not saying I want this - I'm just saying it seems like a possible solution.

I thought about doing an interactive "let's build a mix" thread where I'd post up scratch tracks, then scratch with drums, then drums and bass, then so on and so on just to show how I personally build a mix and let people chime in however they want from start to finish.

Then I realized it seems like a kind of douchey thing to do like I'm some kind of badass or something, like anyone gives a fuck, so I put it out of mind.

I thought about doing an interactive "let's build a mix" thread where I'd post up scratch tracks, then scratch with drums, then drums and bass, then so on and so on just to show how I personally build a mix and let people chime in however they want from start to finish.

Then I realized it seems like a kind of douchey thing to do like I'm some kind of badass or something, like anyone gives a fuck, so I put it out of mind.

Whereas I love applause and thinking people think I'm wonderful. :) But you *are* badass. Your mixes are better than mine. People could learn from that if you left a trail. People here would mix better as a result and give better feedback as a result. I'm not trying to convince you, by the way - I know that's a complete waste of time. But for anybody reading this thread, I think the idea's worth considering.

Nah, It's a good idea, I reckon.
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people around here, whether beginners or not, would aspire to your mixes.
Same goes for RAMI and a lot of other guys.

Maybe it could be by vote or invite?

Not everyone would want to, but I'm sure the guys with serious honed skills wouldn't mind doing one a year or something.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a free public forum.
Personal opinions aside, nobody owes anybody anything.

I'm only saying that because it could be very easy to make people feel guilty or pressured!

Nah, It's a good idea, I reckon.
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people around here, whether beginners or not, would aspire to your mixes.

Maybe it could be by vote or invite?

Not everyone would want to, but I'm sure the guys with serious honed skills wouldn't mind doing one a year or something.

Why not just make the clinic the one place where that could happen (multiple mixes addable via unlimited edits) and leave it up to each poster whether or not they wanted to leave a series of mixes, or delete everything as they go?

Why not just make the clinic the one place where that could happen (multiple mixes addable via unlimited edits) and leave it up to each poster whether or not they wanted to leave a series of mixes, or delete everything as they go?

Yeah sure. I just figured that ^ is something people can do right now if they want to, assuming the edit function comes into play, whereas starting a new forum would shine a light on the tutorial idea 'being cool'.

I duno, it might encourage people to make more out of it. Short videos..mp3s of auxs and groups, screen shots.
There's no way I'd litter the clinic with shit like that right now. :p

I'd be happy either way. If those 'method' threads were in this forum though, they'd just turn into humongous great threads that went on forever. You could ignore them in the same way I'm ignoring the world cup thread in Prime Time. :D

Well, since my name came up, I'll just say that other than the fact that I'm lucky if I get 3 people commenting on my tunes lately, so it wouldn't really be worth my time. But even when people did used to comment on them, the difference between my first mix and last mix was barely audible. It's usually small little adjustments that not many people would even notice if they weren't pointed out.

What I think is way cooler is what you do, Steen, which is to show the progress of a song from seed to ripe. :)

I would have no problem posting the drum track, then the bass and drums, then the bass drums, and guitars, etc....until the tracks are finished. But again, I'm know myself. I'd lose interest within a couple of posts, especially if everyone's sitting on the sidelines, listening but not commenting.

Well, since my name came up, I'll just say that other than the fact that I'm lucky if I get 3 people commenting on my tunes lately, so it wouldn't really be worth my time. But even when people did used to comment on them, the difference between my first mix and last mix was barely audible. It's usually small little adjustments that not many people would even notice if they weren't pointed out.

What I think is way cooler is what you do, Steen, which is to show the progress of a song from seed to ripe. :)

I would have no problem posting the drum track, then the bass and drums, then the bass drums, and guitars, etc....until the tracks are finished. But again, I'm know myself. I'd lose interest within a couple of posts, especially if everyone's sitting on the sidelines, listening but not commenting.

It's a fair point, you know.
I expect it's the same for Greg cos you guys know your gear and your setup inside out. It seems like continuity is a big thing across your mixes, in a good way!
The breakdown itself would certainly be useful to others, all the same.

I mean, I suppose they're half way there with Greg's drum guide, not that I've read it.
That sounds wrong....I never mic kits anymore - I really should take a look anyway!

Thanks for the compliment. :) I have wondered if it's a bit laborious for everyone replacing the mix every two minutes!

EDIT: I bet of people listen to your mixes and don't comment.
I know I've stopped posting "Sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing". Sorry about that. :(

Yeah sure. I just figured that ^ is something people can do right now if they want to, assuming the edit function comes into play, ...
Agreed, it works as is - Add on new continuing' stuff if you like, if the edit timer kicks in use a new 'rev2 continuing post.

EDIT: I bet of people listen to your mixes and don't comment.
I know I've stopped posting "Sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing". Sorry about that. :(
No need to apologize. Nobody's obliged to post anything if they don't want to. I also don't want to derail this thread, it's not about me. Like I said, I only commented because my name was mentioned. But since it was mentioned, I'll just say that it's a little discouraging when every time I check my thread, I scroll down and see a regular in it (which I have to assume they're listening), and then leaving without commenting. I mean, seeing about 20 people you know sitting in your thread, but only 3 of them commenting (and one of them is sure to be Greg), I start to wonder why I even bother. I posted a song yesterday. If it disappears with the 2 or 3 comments it has, that's it for me.

I've already stopped posting in the OT forums because of the whining and over-zealous policing by one of the moderators, and I won't mention HER name. The CLINIC is starting to be pretty useless to me now, too.

Again, I'm only mentioning this because my name came up and I'm trying to explain that I don't see why I'd post the progress of my tunes if it looks like nobody's even commenting on the tunes themselves anyway.

Back