pedal pedal pedal!

I have a DW5000 and a DW7000 and the Axis AL2 Double Kick pedal. I'd say your best bet would be the DW5000, because for me, it is very sensitive, and a delight to play. You don't have to be a kick-monster to use it. The DW7000 takes a little more effort, but is fairly pleasurable to play.

Now the Axis double pedals...because of the their lightweight action, I found them very difficult to play. You'd think I would find it easier to play, but there are just so many silly adjustments, I could never find a comfortable setting for them. It's very cool that you can tailor the pedal to what you like, but since you are coming up from a junk pedal, I'd stick with the DW's. Less adjustment and just plain great kick pedal action.

For the past 6 (of 15) years I've been playing on Pearl Eliminators, low-end Mapex, DW9000 and Yamaha FP9310.

The Eliminator is nice, but has since been relegated to cowbell usage only.

The Mapex was incredible for being their lowest end and I really enjoyed playing on it for about 2 years, then it just lost it's luster.

The DW9000 is very expensive and totally worth every penny. It can be set up to play just the way you want it to. This one sits in my studio and is the only pedal being used there now.

The Yamaha FP9310 is my gigging pedal; it looks cool, it's beautifully adjustable from tight action to loose action, it gets on and off the kick easily due to the lever, and most importantly it seems to be holding up very well.

I play mostly jazz and folk. Every now and then I end up rocking somewhat hard. Having a light foot is what you want, so long as you can still control a hard hit. I find that if I need to sit in with a rock group I can tune the bass drum and change the beater to get the timbre I need while still playing with the feel I like. Plus that lets me play quieter overall, which helps the timbre of every other instrument - including the PA.

Back