pedal pedal pedal!

random.hero

ok time to get rid of the shitty shit no name pedal i've been dealing with for years- what SINGLE bass drum pedal would u guys suggest for around $150 or under? i know you get what you pay for, but this is about all my budget will allow.

some people say you cant go wrong with iron cobras and others prefer the dw series... but i know many of you have had experience with much more than those two so gimme some opinions!

please and thanks :)

check out the pearl eliminator, it has three interchangeable cams so would pretty much suit anyone, I prefer the dw 5000 or 7000 or even the 4000 myself, never was a big fan of the iron cobra, but thats my own opinion many people like them they just cant compare to the dw form me. I grew up with the speed kings then the camco's which turned into tama then dw over time so the 5000 is the closest thing to what i had always used. but pretty much any pedal of caliber can be set up to work fine and anything you get you will have to adjust and get used to.

i love my dw5000 single pedal
im actually buying a dw5000 double for 60 next week

i have had *my* 5000 since 1994. of course, mine started life as a double pedal. the left pedal became sacrificial as things wore out. particularly, i have broken the footboard hinge. i am on at least my third one. so. if anyone needs parts for the left pedal or the linkage, let me know, as mine has literally been collectiong dust for nearly 10 years since i ganked the footboard hinge.

also, i find that the felt part of the beaters do not last very long (a non-issue unless you want a soft beater). luckily, they are for sale everywhere. so far, an aftermarket beater that feels and sounds the same has been elusive.

a

DW 5000, DW 5000, DW 5000. My favourite pedal by far. Of course, I can't afford one, so I use Mapex, Tama, whatever I can for now. I really like the Mapex Tri-tone beater, will definitely fit one when I get around to upgrading!

Iron Cobra Chain Drive

That's my favorite one and a lot of other drummers I know. It's smooth acting and responsive , but even more important it's rugged and will hold up to the punishment of touring.

I've used a Pearl Eliminator for about 5 years (as my "live" peformance pedal)- as indicated with the modular design (multiple cams) and numerous areas to adjust, the Eliminator can be fine tuned to almost any preference.

For pure simplistic and dependable use - you can't go wrong with a DW5000. I used 5000s for several years prior to getting the Eliminator (I still use a pair of 5000s in the studio with my e-drums)

While there are a lot of drummers who like Iron Cobra (and they are built like a tank) - I have not particularly liked the couple I've used.

I've never much liked the various Mapex pedals I've tried. Other than the Eliminator I don't find the Pearl pedals to be anything special.

For most of my life I used Speed Kings - there was not much to them, but they sure felt great to play.

I have an Axis AAX (I think..). Its a really light pedal, can def get some speed with it.
The only thing ive noticed is that since its so light, sometimes it seems hard to get a lil heavier playing out of it. Maybe a change of beater would help, idk.

I would either get an Axis (The X is fine - it works just like the A, it just isn't as easy to modify the throw/feel) or a Speed King.

I hate chain-drive and sprocket pedals. I went through quite a few of them trying to find one that felt just right to me - and I never could.

Tim

alright, so do you dw 5000 lovers have experience with the new model with double chain as opposed to the classic single chain? turbo or accelorator? go chainless and get the strap driven pedal? pros and cons?

ok sorry to post the hell out of this thread, but as i was playing along to some stuff today i noticed i have kind of a weak hit with my foot, and so i was wondering if the dw is sensitive enough and light enough in nature to respond to lighter attacks or not? the dual chain looks intimidating

DW5000? That's unfortunate. I had a double 5000 a few years ago. It fell apart, the screws came out, it wobbled around, and it never really felt right no matter how much I tweaked it. And I'm not even a hardcore double-bass guy. I got a Tama Iron-Cobra and that bitch is perfect. Smooth, silent, durable, tons of flexibility, perfect.

Pedals are pretty personal. In the end, I find that any decent pedal works well once you adjust to it. Me personally, I prefer my Iron Cobra Powerglide, but the DW pedals are definately my second choice.

well thanks a ton for the help guys, i guess i'll have to ponder this one a bit longer than expected.

green chiclets for all!

:D

As for your right foot trouble, I'd recommend working on sorting it out rather than compensating with the pedal, at the moment I use a tama double pedal to practice with (I only record/perform single pedal) and it's tightened right up so my foot really has to work, it's given me a lot more speed and power.

I have to agree with Elton Bear - if you perceive a weakness in your technique (ie: a soft attack on the kick) you need to work to correct the technique, vs. hoping a piece of gear will help.

I don't know if you play heel up or heel down (many drummers use both tehniques depending on the application). However, if you don't play heel up -many drummers find a heel up approach helps with added power. If you already play heel up, try heel down (or work more on your heel up technique).

I have those DW pedals as well. Gosh I think they are 5000 U dunno, it's always dark when I put my feet on them. I do carry the Camco (Tama) chain drives as spares. Probably find those on Ebay cheap.

Back