P Bass or Jazz Bass?

Well I ended up purchasing a 1995 Fender American Precision Deluxe Bass. It's in 100% perfect physical condition. It plays and sounds great. I am going to put a set of flat-wounds on it tomorrow. I will try and post a few pics when I can.

I like my J more for live sound and my P more for recording.

The sound of either bass can be shaped a lot by pickup choice. I have Antiquities in my Jazz and the sound is very full. Regular duncan vintage in my P and it is very nice and powerful. I have some Dimarzio in a P knock off and they are great too.

Well I ended up purchasing a 1995 Fender American Precision Deluxe Bass. It's in 100% perfect physical condition. It plays and sounds great. I am going to put a set of flat-wounds on it tomorrow. I will try and post a few pics when I can.

That's great. I'll bet you could have bought the equivalent Jazz and been happy, also. They're different beasts, but either one will do the job.

Me, I've been playing my fretless P, and it's like being in love again! It sounds different from my fretted P (same Basslines Quarter Pound pickup and TI Jazz Flats) but I'm loving it. I still have the Classic '50s P for when the frets call me.

you know, I usually don't waste time on "endorsing" anything, but since I've made many a decision based on forums advice I feel I need to share every successful/relevant story.

A bunch of us pooled together to make a gift to a friend - a beginner bassist.
After MUCH reading and consideration I got this:

spj62bk1.jpg

Ordered Tuesday, received Friday. I was already optimistic based on my reads, but WOW!

This thing feels and sounds like a MIA instrument. That's with the stock strings and pickups - which are so easy to upgrade.

I've always liked the look of Jazz basses better and my smaller hands made me like Jazz necks better, but this bass plays so well (stock strings are light gauge, but sound well).

It came out of the case (I bought a case to ship it in) PERFECTLY set up - no buzzes, low action, very playable. The frets are very well done - you can see they were hand filed, which is always a nice touch on a mail-order asian instrument - you know somebody actually played the thing before packing it.

This is unbeatalbe value! The color/style is not my first choice, but the way it feels in your hands and sounds and looks - just makes me wish it was mine. Good thing I'll be able to borrow it sometimes.

This is made of solid alder by the way, while the "joke's on you" Squier is made of "other" wood. MIM Fenders are what? basswood these days? poplar?

As to P vs. J - I still wish for a jazz-style body, but I must admit I prefer the sound of P. There's something "special" about it!

Back