P Bass or Jazz Bass?

sajs

I am looking to purchase a Fender P or Jazz Bass. I will be going down to my local music store to play both before purchasing.

I just wanted to hear from musicians that have used both and what they like or dislike about both models. Thank you.

I like the sound of the P bass but the feel of the neck of the Jazz. Solution? Deluxe P Bass Special.

I like the sound of the P bass but the feel of the neck of the Jazz. Solution? Deluxe P Bass Special.

I second that; although I often just roll the knob to use the P-pickup, I enjoy the feel of the neck. Look around the stores for 1 or 2 of these as well.

Great suggestions. There seems to be 2 models. One American model that sells for about $1,400 and the other for $600. That model has the gold pick guard that I am not that crazy about. I am not against gold pick guards, I have one on my Ric 325 Jetglow. It just doesn't look so good on that Bass.

I like the sound of P-Bass pickups better, but for some reason have always recorded better with Jazz's. The pickguard can be changed if you dislike it :)

a) +1 on jazz neck - you may find you like it better
b) having both pickups - P/J with J in the bridge is one of the most versatile combos for bass - you can get all kinds of sounds.

pickguards are cheap online - you can find a white, a black, a pearloid, a tortoise, possibly even other colors.

I prefer the feel of a J - but I always thought the P had a little fatter sound. I've never tried a Deluxe P - but it sounds like the best of both worlds.

Great suggestions. There seems to be 2 models. One American model that sells for about $1,400 and the other for $600. That model has the gold pick guard that I am not that crazy about. I am not against gold pick guards, I have one on my Ric 325 Jetglow. It just doesn't look so good on that Bass.

I opted for an active Mexican made; I too wasn't crazy about the pick guard when I ordered, but since I've had it (3 yrs. now; an actual success story from MF) I just enjoy how I sound with the bass and have come to enjoy it as is. Overall, it looks good in black w/rosewood fingerboard.

Don't be afraid to try a few; plus now I think there's both active or passive models available now.

I played Jazz Basses for years, being the lead player and only subbing on bass, so I used whatever the bass player had: around here that means either a Jazz or an Ibanez. When I got a steady gig as a bass player, I tried several different basses, including Carvin, G&L, and a fretless Jazz.

To me, the J is a versatile, but somewhat "polite" tone. Mine sounds good, but it's on the block because it doesn't shake the butts of the dancers the way my P does. I put my money where my mouth is: I now have the J and three Ps, including a fretless.

I strongly prefer the chunky neck on the P: I have long fingers, and skinny necks make me cramp up (a big problem with the Carvin; the Ibanez was a 5 string so not as extreme). I especially like the big neck on my '51 Precision reissue, so your taste may vary.

But the killer app is the sound of the split-coil P: after I changed to a Classic '50s Precision with flats, the band literally would not let me play anything else, to the extent of sending me home with my fretless J to fetch my P!

It's easy enough to find a P with a J-style neck. And I think versatility is overrated: the P has a lot of personality, and I can make it work in about any context I find myself in. Others feel differently (I pray for their souls).

I'll keep it short: I've had my Fender J since '97 and I'll never willingly part with it. I love everything about it, it works very well for me. I'll agree with lpdeluxe, it's a very polite and versatile instrument whereas I've found the two P-basses I've had over the past few years were a little more chunky (which is a good thing too) It just depends what you're going for. I drift between alot of different genres so.... If I have both to choose from, I use a P bass for heavier type stuff and a Jazz for everything else.

I like the sound of P-Bass pickups better, but for some reason have always recorded better with Jazz's. The pickguard can be changed if you dislike it :)

i definitely agree about the P-bass pickups. however, ive owned an american jazz and an american precision for around 8 years and recently bought a 51 precision reissue; my conclusion (opinion) being that p basses sound better in recordings. easier to work with tone-wise, although the jazz feels more comfortable playing live for some reason.

I have my flameproof suit on, so here goes nothing. Unless you are spending $$$$$, any new P or J bass is pretty much crap. The bottom of the barrel ones made in Indonesia or Taiwan, or Mexico, are fine for beginners. But as soon as you have an ounce of talent, you'll realize what a mistake you made. The hardware, the electronics, the wood, is not really that good. Just because it says 'Fender' on the headstock doesn't make it a good bass. Spend the cash, and either get a MIJ, or if you have more money than brains, get a USA vintage reissue type. If you have small hands, get a Jazz. If you have large hands, get a Precision. End of rant. Oh, wait. If you have more brains than money, get an 80's or 90's MIJ (Squire) or Tokai, and have a bass every inch the equal of any 2008 American bass for 1/2 the $$$. Look on eBay or your local Kijiji. You can thank me later.

I probably should have given more information. I am playing Classic Rock/Motown. I own a 63 Hofner Bass but it is kind of a one trick pony. Don't get me wrong, I love the bass and would never sell it but I am looking for that Motown sound.
I would say my hands are medium in size so I could play either neck. I think I have brains, it took a lot to get my E.E. degree. I don't think I am rich but we get along O.K. I am hoping this Bass might go up in value over the years as well. So there you have the whole story.

If you want Motown get the P. My first bass was an '84 USA P, I ended up not being able to stand it. I just don't like the tone. But I think that's what you want.

I wouldn't say that all '80s Fenders are better than new. Mine had a notable dead spot on the 1st string B. But I didn't know enough at the time when I bought it to recognize that. There are probably dogs in every year, every country of origin . . . :(

I probably should have given more information. I am playing Classic Rock/Motown. I own a 63 Hofner Bass but it is kind of a one trick pony. Don't get me wrong, I love the bass and would never sell it but I am looking for that Motown sound.
I would say my hands are medium in size so I could play either neck. I think I have brains, it took a lot to get my E.E. degree. I don't think I am rich but we get along O.K. I am hoping this Bass might go up in value over the years as well. So there you have the whole story.

Get a rosewood fingerboard Precision and put flatwounds on it: all of mine are strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, which I believe are the best around. That'll get as close as you'll get to the Jamerson sound.

...versatility is overrated...

I liked your post, very informative. And I don't even disagree with the quoted comment, but i'd just say that's the beauty of the P/J - it's still 100% P (nothing sacrificed) WITH a J! :rolleyes:

I realize that the old MIJ instruments were great (never played/held one).

but hardware and electronics are easily replaced with possibly superior stuff (better than old MIJ and/or modern MIA).

I don't know that the wood is all that inferior on current MIM's (enough to matter). Maybe.

And final personal comment on active vs. passive - this is just me, but I really don't "get" active basses. Passives just seem to have so much more warmth and personality to me (with good alnico pickups, not that "modern" ceramic stuff). One can always have an outboard preamp selected for specific features as opposed to some who-knows-what onboard "active electronics" preamp.

i've got an '83 American P-Bass and it's all that and a bag of chips. heavy, toneful body and big, chunky maple neck and maple board (which lend to the huge, round, warm tone). it's a perfectly balanced instrument. the first time i played it i said "this is the one".

'83 was the last year made in the old Fullerton plant before they off-shored all the molds and everything to Japan. When production returned to the US in '87, the molds stayed in Japan.....so '84 american basses (which were actually made in '87) and everything '87 and later, feel, play and sound differently than those made in '83 and before.

my '83 feels and sounds VERY close to my buddy's '72 P-bass, which i've always considered the holy grail of bass tone. mine's got EMGs in there now, which are spectacular for recording.....and a good bit sterile when played through an amp. if i were using it for anything but recording, i'd replace em with some of those new fender passives.

anyway......not to jump on the "anything modern is shit" bandwagon.......but if you're looking for that old Motown sound, you won't easily find it in a newer P-Bass, and you certainly won't find it in a Jazz bass. Find yourself an '83 or before P-Bass and that tone will be immediately apparent.

cheers,
wade

I liked your post, very informative. And I don't even disagree with the quoted comment, but i'd just say that's the beauty of the P/J - it's still 100% P (nothing sacrificed) WITH a J! :rolleyes:

Thank you. I know these opinions often come across as dogmatic, but I've been playing for 37 years and I'm about ready to draw some conclusions from my experience. To me, having a distinct sound of my own is superior to merely mimicking the sound of others because it inspires me to be more creative.

A lot of people love the P/Js, but I just don't need one. I have a J, and it mostly stays in its case: that to me is the ultimate test of utility. Others get great tones out of Jazz basses, and I respect that. Perhaps a mediocre player will sound better with a P than with a J (and feel free to apply that to me), where a really good player can kill with a J.

Hey! If you want that Motown sound, listen to this. I actually had the opportunity the other day to play a real, all original, honest-to-Gawd 1960 Precision bass. As soon as I hit the first note, it was instant James Jamerson. What was all that different from any other bass I have played? A couple of things. Besides the flat-wound strings, the bridge had the original muting foam wedged in there. Remember, Fender was originally trying to mimic a stand-up bass for the tone. Small frets, big flat-wound strings, and that muting foam added up to pretty much what you are after. Oh, and the P should have a little hotter output; typical coil resistance is about 12K for a P and a little over 9K for a Jazz. You could swap any pickups out in a crappy Mexican bass, but be aware that the string spacing and the pickup size may differ slightly, requiring some wood working to make the upgrade. The mystery here is why spend $$$ just to spend more $$$ to make a decent guitar? Use eBay or Kijiji and save time, $$$, and headaches. Check out auctions from 'build a bass' (slonk18) or 'certainbass' (bikebassnut) and try to match features and cost with whatever Musician's Friend has.

Back