Oregon Suspends Basic Skills Graduation Requirement in the Name of Equity

brassplyer

Too many minority students couldn't demonstrate even the most basic literacy so they waived the requirement to accommodate them.

I guess this is how they fix those "historic injustices". I'm sure this warms leddy's heart.

We've been doing this for a while now in the UK. I used to work for an exam board (music and performing arts(/ Me and my small team had been working on the update of a British qualification for 16-20 year olds, delivered typically post 16 colleges, but also what we call 6th form in schools (still 16-18)

We'd done rounds of checking and updating and jumping through Government set hoops, and we were on the last day before sign off and roll out. It was a Level 2 and a Level 3 qualification, and frankly, the pass criteria for Level 2 we joked, was breathing. pass was very. very basic coverage. In recording a Distinction, students had to demonstrate a highly skilled recording bla bla bla, and for a merit it was a good recording with occasional errors that did not detract for the overall quality, and pass was a recording - errors and quality were acceptable. Musically and technically, pretty poor, but at least complete. In came a harrassed team leader to report that we had to make it easier! It was no longer acceptable for people to fail, so we needed a fallback to Level 1 - where pass criteria were, in effect, that the student had been present when a recording was made! The student was able to produce a recording with assistance. Pathetic. The idea was that everyone would be able to get a qualification. If we now award them on the basis of anyhting other than their performance, the system is truly broken.

Ah yes, those Stupid Fucking Minorities. Jesus Christ man... do you just spend all day looking at Right Wing(nut) News sites? Who in their right (Ha!) fucking mind reads that crazy ass website that you just linked to? Holy shit man.

Ah yes, those Stupid Fucking Minorities. Jesus Christ man... do you just spend all day looking at Right Wing(nut) News sites? Who in their right (Ha!) fucking mind reads that crazy ass website that you just linked to? Holy shit man.
More like those stupid fucking liberals who come up with insane bullshit like this.

Too many minority students couldn't demonstrate even the most basic literacy so they waived the requirement to accommodate them.

I guess this is how they fix those "historic injustices". I'm sure this warms leddy's heart.

You want to antagonize? For what? What have I said that makes you think I’d support this?

They suspended standardized testing. Students still have to take and pass classes etc. For the record, I don’t support removing the testing. One can believe we still have socioeconomic differences rooted in racism, and be against misguided attempts to fix them. Unlike some folks who think the differences are not rooted in racism, and therefore must be genetic. Does that shoe fit you?

This gave readers the grossly misleading impression that Oregon had largely abandoned the academic rigor required to graduate from high school. Although the bill temporarily lifted the requirement to pass a standardized proficiency test, high school graduates would continue, in effect, to have to demonstrate the same basic academic competencies in question. We are therefore issuing a rating of "Mixture."

What have I said that makes you think I’d support this?
You mean besides your frantic, resentful, venom-spitting dance to assign blame anywhere *but* where it belongs to avoid admitting a serious dysfunctionality within and holding a particular demographic to a standard of personal responsibility?

Screw Snopes - did they change the standards for reasons of racial demographics? Yes they did.

You mean besides your frantic, resentful, venom-spitting dance to assign blame anywhere *but* where it belongs to avoid admitting a serious dysfunctionality within and holding a particular demographic to a standard of personal responsibility?

Screw Snopes - did they change the standards for reasons of racial demographics? Yes they did.
Remember when I said this?
One can believe we still have socioeconomic differences rooted in racism, and be against misguided attempts to fix them.
Now answer this:
Unlike some folks who think the differences are not rooted in racism, and therefore must be genetic. Does that shoe fit you?
Edit-

Never mind even answering. I don’t need any more confirmation of what I already know about you. You say I want to “avoid admitting a serious dysfunctionality within and holding a particular demographic to a standard of personal responsibility”, which isn’t what I’m saying at all.

It’s not being afraid to admit to dysfunction in the black community. It’s not about not holding people accountable. It’s about explaining how and why we’re here, so we can figure out how to fix it. Your substantial resistance to this tells me you fundamentally disagree with the premise. A premise that is not “mine” by the way, but held by people much smarter than I am*. The only conclusion is that you see black people as inferior. I’ve danced around directly calling you racist, but those gloves are off. You are part of the problem. I despise you. I’ve been avoiding any direct posting with you, but you called me out so here I am.

I doubt you’ll read it, since along with thinking you’re smarter than Trump’s lawyers, you probably think you’re smarter than Harvard’s research staff as well. You’ve made a fool of yourself defending Trump. Now time to make a fool of yourself defending your racism.

* https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/06/racial-wealth-gap-may-be-a-key-to-other-inequities/

Last edited:
Remember when I said this?
leddy said:
One can believe we still have socioeconomic differences rooted in racism, and be against misguided attempts to fix them.
What I've seen you do is bang this drum of using long ago events and circumstances that stopped being relevant reality generations ago to excuse current behavior while refusing to condemn any of the social engineering that hasn't worked. I've seen no indication that you have any problem with misguided efforts, I've challenged you to condemn them, you just respond with *crickets*.

It’s not being afraid to admit to dysfunction in the black community. It’s not about not holding people accountable.
Yup, that's what it's about since you've refused to do either.

It’s about explaining how and why we’re here, so we can figure out how to fix it. Your substantial resistance to this tells me you fundamentally disagree with the premise.
Yes I disagree with you insisting the past be blamed and refusing to condemn ineffective measures. I ask you again - how much more WIC, Section 8 housing, Head Start, affirmative action, EBT etc. etc. would have prevented that gas station shooting? Or any of the endless examples of similar behavior?

Let's hear you condemn the measure in the original article - which in itself is *actually* racist. They're adjusting standards *because* of poor performance of a particular racial demographic.

I’ve danced around directly calling you racist
ROFLMAO - no you haven't. :ROFLMAO: You've repeatedly tried to fit me with a Klan robe and hood.

You get mad at me because I cite reality that you don't like.

We've been doing this for a while now in the UK. I used to work for an exam board (music and performing arts(/ Me and my small team had been working on the update of a British qualification for 16-20 year olds, delivered typically post 16 colleges, but also what we call 6th form in schools (still 16-18)

We'd done rounds of checking and updating and jumping through Government set hoops, and we were on the last day before sign off and roll out. It was a Level 2 and a Level 3 qualification, and frankly, the pass criteria for Level 2 we joked, was breathing. pass was very. very basic coverage. In recording a Distinction, students had to demonstrate a highly skilled recording bla bla bla, and for a merit it was a good recording with occasional errors that did not detract for the overall quality, and pass was a recording - errors and quality were acceptable. Musically and technically, pretty poor, but at least complete. In came a harrassed team leader to report that we had to make it easier! It was no longer acceptable for people to fail, so we needed a fallback to Level 1 - where pass criteria were, in effect, that the student had been present when a recording was made! The student was able to produce a recording with assistance. Pathetic. The idea was that everyone would be able to get a qualification. If we now award them on the basis of anyhting other than their performance, the system is truly broken.
Are these students who are specifically on a track for performing arts or is this part of their total curriculum?

What I've seen you do is bang this drum of using long ago events and circumstances that stopped being relevant reality generations ago
This is demonstrably false. Educate yourself. Start with the Harvard column I linked.
to excuse current behavior while refusing to condemn any of the social engineering that hasn't worked. I've seen no indication that you have any problem with misguided efforts, I've challenged you to condemn them, you just respond with *crickets*.
Also false. See below.
Yup, that's what it's about since you've refused to do either.

Yes I disagree with you insisting the past be blamed and refusing to condemn ineffective measures. I ask you again - how much more WIC, Section 8 housing, Head Start, affirmative action, EBT etc. etc. would have prevented that gas station shooting? Or any of the endless examples of similar behavior?
We had a thread where I said fixing education and home ownership were the critical factors, which lead to you having the same response, refusing to support any race-based solutions citing the same argument that it’s all about blacks taking responsibility.
Let's hear you condemn the measure in the original article -
I did. You don’t read. This is why I said “see below”. I condemned this just a few inches up. We can’t have a discussion when you don’t absorb something I just said on this very page.
which in itself is *actually* racist. They're adjusting standards *because* of poor performance of a particular racial demographic.

ROFLMAO - no you haven't. :ROFLMAO: You've repeatedly tried to fit me with a Klan robe and hood.
Fits well.
You get mad at me because I cite reality that you don't like.
No, I’m mad because you refuse to cite reality. You’re not arguing against “me” (evidenced by you often missing basic things I say), you’re arguing against a picture of a liberal boogeyman in your head created by the wing nut sources you think are journalism.

Not going down this rabbit hole with you. Again, I’m not making this up. I linked the Harvard article because it hits all the major points I’ve tried to say here over the months or years we’ve been at this. Unless you want to take issue with something directly from that article, don’t talk to me.

Last edited:
Yeah man... your use of the words "spew" "spit" "frantic" "rabid" are all really, really, really weird when people talk intelligently to you. You're reading "news" articles that are just not truthful and are trying to dig into your racist nature. It's obviously working, but man... you're the one "spewing". Sorry. We've tried to help you over and over. You just hate black people. You love Donard Trump and you think you're the smartest guy on (flat) Earth because of your Google (or is it some sort of Right Wing Replacement Google?) skills to try and "research" from YouTube Videos and Right Wing(nut) Websites.

What *specifically* do you mean by "fixing education and home ownership"?
One of the biggest discrepancies between whites and blacks is the lack of generational wealth. Black vets coming back from ww2 couldn’t even get home loans that their white counterparts had readily available. Homes are usually a person’s greatest source of net worth, and get passed down to heirs. This is just one example of why blacks have about 10% of the wealth compared to white folks. To fix the problem, we have to find a way to bring more black families in to home ownership.

Likewise with education. You are more likely to graduate HS, or go to college or trade school if your parents did. Those opportunities were held from blacks just a generation or two ago, so todays black kids are still less likely to advance their education. Add the lack of wealth to that as well when it comes to affording it. We had to help our kids with calculus homework etc. We couldn’t do that if we didn’t go to school. Now my kids are in STEM fields getting paid well. That shit doesn’t happen easily when the parents aren’t educated or can’t afford college for their kids.

It would be relatively easy and cheap to offer discounted loans to families for more affordable mortgages. We do it for vets through the VA loan program. We’ve also let the student loan market get taken over by predatory lenders, and let schools basically violate anti trust laws. In your state, Desantis put in his voucher program that will serve to suck money out of the schools that need it most to go to the people that can already afford private school. (Not to mention his pushback against teaching black history which likely includes the very things I’m saying to you now).

These are some issues that need to be fixed just for starters.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
One of the biggest discrepancies between whites and blacks is the lack of generational wealth. Black vets coming back from ww2 couldn’t even get home loans that their white counterparts had readily available. Homes are usually a person’s greatest source of net worth, and get passed down to heirs. This is just one example of why blacks have about 10% of the wealth compared to white folks. To fix the problem, we have to find a way to bring more black families in to home ownership.

Likewise with education. You are more likely to graduate HS, or go to college or trade school if your parents did. Those opportunities were held from blacks just a generation or two ago, so todays black kids are still less likely to advance their education. Add the lack of wealth to that as well when it comes to affording it. We had to help our kids with calculus homework etc. We couldn’t do that if we didn’t go to school. Now my kids are in STEM fields getting paid well. That shit doesn’t happen easily when the parents aren’t educated or can’t afford college for their kids.

It would be relatively easy and cheap to offer discounted loans to families for more affordable mortgages. We do it for vets through the VA loan program. We’ve also let the student loan market get taken over by predatory lenders, and let schools basically violate anti trust laws. In your state, Desantis put in his voucher program that will serve to suck money out of the schools that need it most to go to the people that can already afford private school. (Not to mention his pushback against teaching black history which likely includes the very things I’m saying to you now).

These are some issues that need to be fixed just for starters.

Edited for spelling

I wanted to have you clearly state what I figured you were getting at - more subsidies - taking some people's money to give to someone else, more of the same that hasn't worked.

Of course nowhere in your worldview is there any mention of avoiding poverty-perpetuating behaviors such as buying and selling drugs and other criminality, birthing kids into poverty.

Going by your worldview you'd never know that despite mistreatment by Democrats millions of blacks are gainfully employed, are business owners, property owners and further that "generational wealth" isn't automatic or permanent. You've probably never looked into how long blacks have been attending universities and I'm not talking about just HBCUs.

You equate VA home loans with subsidies, not even comprehending the difference. VA loans are part of a deferred compensation package - veterans perform a service. Joining the military is open to people of any ethnicity, provided they haven't screwed up and disqualified themselves through completely optional criminal behavior or get themselves kicked out of the military.

What you're talking about is more welfare.

Were you around in 2008?

Last edited:
I wanted to have you clearly state what I figured you were getting at - more subsidies - taking some people's money to give to someone else, more of the same that hasn't worked.
In this case it’s more like restitution. The federal government provides loans all the time through the federal reserve and the banking system. If the fed loaned money through a program at a similar rate for housing or education, there would be very little incremental cost. Seems better than flat out welfare, since the intention is to address the root of the problem. And again, just like providing benefits for native Americans, we owe them something.

And, a representative government constantly spends money on things not everyone supports. If I were living in FL, my tax money would be paying for Desantis’ private plane trips to campaign for president and for his legal fees to defend his unconstitutional legislation.
Of course nowhere in your worldview is there any mention of avoiding poverty-perpetuating behaviors such as buying and selling drugs and other criminality, birthing kids into poverty.
Behaviors that stem from poverty and lack of education. These are exactly what I’m saying would be reduced.
Going by your worldview you'd never know that despite mistreatment by Democrats millions of blacks are gainfully employed, are business owners, property owners and further that "generational wealth" isn't automatic or permanent. You've probably never looked into how long blacks have been attending universities and I'm not talking about just HBCUs.
Some, but still very under-represented. And stop with the making assumptions. Respond to what I say instead of the liberal boogie man in your head.
You equate VA home loans with subsidies, not even comprehending the difference. VA loans are part of a deferred compensation package - veterans perform a service. Joining the military is open to people of any ethnicity, provided they haven't screwed up and disqualified themselves through completely optional criminal behavior or get themselves kicked out of the military.

What you're talking about is more welfare.
Again, it’s not quite welfare. It’s restitution, and I believe would be more effective and cheaper than welfare.

Edit to add-
I don’t claim to be an expert in public policy. I’m certainly open to things that would be more effective at addressing the problem. My beef with you is - what is the cause of the problem. My position is the same as the articles I linked, that the socioeconomic differences are in large part generational, as a result of discrimination in housing and education, among other things. You say it’s not. Well it has to be either nature or nurture. If it’s not nurture, then you think the natural state of black people is to gravitate toward (your words):
poverty-perpetuating behaviors such as buying and selling drugs and other criminality, birthing kids into poverty.
I’m calling that racist. Is that clear enough?

Last edited:
brassplyer said:
Are these students who are specifically on a track for performing arts or is this part of their total curriculum?
This was designed for 16 yr olds typically to 18, who were doing either music, or performing arts as a full time programme
If I'm correctly understanding what you're describing they're eliminating a realistic assessment of their progress, which is a huge disservice to students contemplating going into a highly competitive field. If their playing isn't up to par they need to be made aware of it to either improve or pursue a different vocation. When they eventually encounter being judged seriously it's going to be a hard reality.

poverty-perpetuating behaviors such as buying and selling drugs and other criminality, birthing kids into poverty.
I’m calling that racist. Is that clear enough?
Lol - :ROFLMAO: you act like this is new or a revelation. You've been crying *racism!!* since forever. It's a nervous tic with you people, it's the only response you're capable of in the face of anything you don't like.

1698618932650.png

Did you know that white people can engage in poverty-perpetuating behavior too?

Back