Old London Road

I really like the song, and overall the guitars and vocals are very good....but too key off on what Greg said.....it's rather flat from start to finish, and just looking at the waveform in Soundcloud, you could see that. I mean, you could lay brick with the edge of that waveform! ;)

More diverse drums, more dynamics, break up the verses/chorus a bit better with arrangement so that the song isn't like a run-on sentence....and I think you'll have a great tune.

my feedback, Like the bass, snare should come down and vocals could have more volume. Maybe even a bit more compression (just an opinion) to bring all of the voice up.

Just keeps getting better. :thumbs up:

I spent a bit more time on this track today. Re-worked the drums a bit. Completely remixed it. My ear is tired now though and I'm not sure what's up or down but this is as far as I got. (Updated file on first post as well)

It's definitely sounding better to me. I'm just not convinced yet.

I like the new drums! I think the guitars are a little quiet though, and the vocals a little too loud/forward, the vocal would benefit from a bit more compression in my opinion to tame the louder parts, and maybe some reverb or bring the reverb levels up, maybe some slap back delay would work also, that's just my opinion though, I'm not a fan of dry mixes but understand if you disagree, I know a lot of punk mixes are deliberately dry

The recording sounds crisp. I came in after your last mix, but it definitely improved from the first 2. I really like what you did with the vocals, much better though seems a little heavy in the left channel in the chorus. I also felt the drums were a little low, and the lead guitars too.
It's a very good song and your first pass wasn't bad at all for 2 hours work, now it has some polish. I can't understand some of it, British and Americans don't speak the exact same language, but I never knew what Gunter glieben glauchen globen meant either.

What's the deal with London Road anyway, you see it pop up all over London. I used to live on a road that turned into London road. But then I was waaaay over the other side of London and saw a London road there too. I mean I could probably google it, but is London Road actually a road that goes all the way through London? Or is that not really the question you were hoping to answer with this song? :D

There's a London Road in Brighton. I wondered if he was singing about that. There's probably a London road on the London side of every town within a 300 mile radius of Londinium.

I spent a bit more time on this track today. Re-worked the drums a bit. Completely remixed it. My ear is tired now though and I'm not sure what's up or down but this is as far as I got. (Updated file on first post as well)

Yup, the drums on this one are better than the other two mixes I listened to. But I was disappointed in the loss of the opening guitar in Old Mix. I really liked it.

Something I'd try on this one if it was me: the present vocal's dryish and upfront, but I think this one would work better if it wasn't up so front, but if you were a bit drunk and shouting your ass off when you did it. You could mix it further down in the mix than it is now and if it was sung loud and shouty, it would suit the tune to a T.

I hear what you did there. Actually, I think you dumbed down the drums too much! The reverse beat snare pattern that you had before was good, it just needed some kick variety thrown into it. For example, you could keep the verses straight 4/4 like you have them in the new mix, but go back to the reverse snare leading double time for the choruses. Or vice versa. Know what I mean? You had a good idea, it was just too monotonous. A little bit of your original drum pattern and a little bit of this new one would be just about right. Mix some ride cymbal in there during the choruses. Stuff like that.

The rest....I think you neutered it a little. The vocals are too up front for me, and the guitars seem tamed down. I liked the more aggressive style of the original mix, just not the drums. Just keep working it. It's a good song that's worthy of some time being spent on it.

Thank folks. I'll have another look at it tomorrow. The big difference with this version is possibly that I don't have the heavy tape saturation plugin on the master like before.

I think I'll stick to Acoustic recordings after this. Drums and Electrics are too damn hard. :laughings:

Last edited:
Hey Mr. C - I like what Greg has to say above about the latest mix. It sounds fine, but I personally preferred the rougher, more aggressive feel of the original myself. His advice for the drums seems solid too. It's a great tune.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I had fun with this one and I'm a lot closer now to the sound I wanted originally than I ever have been. Solid advice from all as usual. much appreciated. :thumbs up:

Here's the latest mix.....

I like this new version, much better balance overall, and I like the vocal sound now, more compressed but more in control, for me this is the best mix out of all of them.

Might just be my system, but your voice is a notch or two lower. Harder to hear the vocals. I'll let other comment. Everything else was really good. Very clean.

I like what you did here. Some of the grit and edge to the mix from before has returned. I could totally live with this mix if I were you.

If you're still fiddling with it though, I guess my only suggestions at this point would be that the snare is a bit buried, especially in comparison with the cymbals and toms. I would raise the snare some and/or dial back the cymbals and toms. I like the vocals set back a bit like this myself, but they could probably come up a db or two maybe? It's a very complete and fleshed out composition, and I like that your vocal delivery reminds me a bit of the clash even though the song itself doesn't so much.

Just so you know, this song has turned into an ear worm. Question, based on your accent, are you from the same region as Ray Davies? I know, I probably give the impression of a colonist, but it reminds me of his accent.

Just so you know, this song has turned into an ear worm. Question, based on your accent, are you from the same region as Ray Davies? I know, I probably give the impression of a colonist, but it reminds me of his accent.

Haha. Yeah I can understand how it could be infectious. I'm not from the same region as Ray Davies. He's a Londoner. I'm from Derby in the Midlands, about 300 miles north of London. I am putting on an accent with this song though, this is not my own usual voice. I usually get mistaken for a Manc but I deliberately "Cockneyed" this one up.

:thumbs up:

Haha. Yeah I can understand how it could be infectious. I'm not from the same region as Ray Davies. He's a Londoner. I'm from Derby in the Midlands, about 300 miles north of London. I am putting on an accent with this song though, this is not my own usual voice. I usually get mistaken for a Manc but I deliberately "Cockneyed" this one up.

:thumbs up:

So, I wasn't totally off. Fooled me you Cockneyed pretender. :p

The snare can come up a bit, and if you do that, you'll have to boost the vocal a dB or so. (And maybe the backing vox a hair as well?) And yeah, this mix is working better - you can always tell when a mix is working better - it just sounds good and you get into the song instead of the mix.

Snare should be as loud as the bass as should the kick.
It's odd that the toms come through louder than the snare.
Good chorus but I don't like the panning of it.
Def more Libertines than Babyshambles.
It could also be mid period Pogues if someone else were singing the chorus for Shane.
It's a cool song - something of a knees up I'd reckon in a gig.
If I was going to the Rubbity down the frog'ntoad with me China I certainly get my laugh'n gear around a pint of Cheer and pogo a little if this one was played.

Back