OK, so I dusted off the ol' soldering iron...

Yea Steve, I can't get into Johns site either. I thought he was moving the server to the
US. Or was that already done. I can't keep up with my own stuff, let alone the bbs's.

Hey, I heard that fiendish laughter clear over here. That tells me something.:D

BTW, thanks for the offer. I WILL take you up on it sometime in the future. Right now, I've gone back to work, so I don't know when I'll be free. One of these days though.

Hey frederic, the oil one is funny too although I bet it wasn't to you. Don't feel bad though. I poured a quart of oil into my radiator one time. Ha! That was a joy to clean up. What a moron.

Ha ha ha. It was bad in the sense I thought I had destroyed the engine (new engine, no oil, ooops), but once I put the pan on and filled it, it started up and broke in just fine, and lasted almost 150K. Not bad for something I assembled out of 20 different motors, very few new parts, in my garage using hand tools and a drill press. So without the no-oil first start, maybe it owuld have gone 175K, who knows :)

clean every last part. Then he got a new gas tank for it. The old gas was just like varnish.
Those kind of mistakes are hard to swallow.

Yes, they are.

Throughout the 90's, I had designed and assembled a mid-engined sports car. You know, one seater, weigh nothing, more power that exceeds your tire's traction limitations, etc. However it took me 7 years to build, by hand, as I had time between torturous corporate employment.

Anyway, on year 3 I guess, it was time to mock up the suspension, so I could weld on the suspension mounts to the chassis. It was a sunday, so my favorite bolt store was closed, so I went to home cesspool, and picked up the correct dimensioned bolts, but they were zinc plated garbage, as far as quality. No biggie, because all I was doing was mocking up the suspension to weld on brackets. The bolts didn't need to support more than 70lbs of a-arms, spindles, rotors and calipers. No tires and wheels even.

The next day, I reminded myself in the morning to go to the bolt store after work and get hardened steel blah blah blah. I worked late. Same for tuesday.

The next time I remembered to replace these bolts were four years later on the first test drive. :(

field. We were 1500 miles from the shop, and a deadline to meet. I never lived that one down. [/B]

OOoooowwwwwww.... I so feel your pain.... At least the cases you made came apart. Be glad you didn't glue them before doweling or screwing them or however they were joined together.

Hey Guise, finally remembered to check email, the site should be back up Monday some time, US time. Peter's doing some stuff, not sure what.

Thanks for checking, guess my "vacation" will be short-lived... Steve

Back