Ok I concede

TAE, The Behrry, I confess I only had a week or so with the interface, very happy with my NI KA6 (another reccy btw) then I posted it to son in France.
Now he is terrific musician but struggles with technology and we spent quite some time on Skype sorting out operational issues. Then I treated myself to an M4 and was so impressed I bought one for son as well (it was his 50th bd and his sister sent him SHEDS of stuff, cost them a shit load in import taxes....FUCKING BREXIT!!)

Son plugged it up and I heard little from him since re problems.

So yes, if on a budget the 204/404HD will make superb recordings. I doubt the M4 is audible better, especially used with other budget kit but for both of us it is just a much better 'thing' to use.

Dave.

TAE, The Behrry, I confess I only had a week or so with the interface, very happy with my NI KA6 (another reccy btw) then I posted it to son in France.
Now he is terrific musician but struggles with technology and we spent quite some time on Skype sorting out operational issues. Then I treated myself to an M4 and was so impressed I bought one for son as well (it was his 50th bd and his sister sent him SHEDS of stuff, cost them a shit load in import taxes....FUCKING BREXIT!!)

So yes, if on a budget the 204/404HD will make superb recordings. I doubt the M4 is audible better, especially used with other budget kit but for both of us it is just a much better 'thing' to use.

Dave.
Right on Dave! Thanks

Right on Dave! Thanks
I think to understand, that you are operating on a very novice introductory level like me. Then I probably will not notice any difference between Cakewalk and Reaper. Cakewalk free has a 4 track and a 16 track mixer. My only concern is to try to find the appropriate interface through my outboard desk and outboard gear. That is my main issue. Thanks guys

Dave.
Competley agree with your Brexit view Dave, agreed. The Behr stereo graphic and the expander/compressor are budget machines yes, but they are ok and will suit my means. Nowadays I am sure there are much better virtual plug ins for DAW but that was then before I knew anything
😉👍

I think to understand, that you are operating on a very novice introductory level like me. Then I probably will not notice any difference between Cakewalk and Reaper. Cakewalk free has a 4 track and a 16 track mixer. My only concern is to try to find the appropriate interface through my outboard desk and outboard gear. That is my main issue. Thanks guys

But when you get stuck you'll find it much easier to get answers from all the Reaper users round here. Not sure how many Cakewalk users we have here.

The consensus here seems to be that the Reaper DAW is better. So I will look into that. Thanks 😉👍
Like I said earlier they will both get the job done. Yes Reaper is far more powerful especially for super users.. and Yes you will find a lot more instructional videos about Reaper, much larger user group forums than with Cakewalk. That said, Cakewalk is the grandfather of DAWs and is a respectable usable DAW with a lot of people out there to help you find your way to tracks getting laid down in the box. Guess the point is if you don't already really know how to use cakewalk, there will be a learning curve and time spen to learn it
If that is the case your learning curve / time ( in many of us here's opinions) will be better spent learning Reaper rather than Cakewalk

suckered into paying for Pro Tools all those years ago
That's precisely why I didn't opt for ProTools. I'm just a home hobby recordist, and there are times when I don't do much recording. I got Reaper years ago for $60. I would have spent about $500 in Protools fees by now.

I would rather spend that $440 on a couple of microphones, or even golf balls

That's precisely why I didn't opt for ProTools. I'm just a home hobby recordist, and there are times when I don't do much recording. I got Reaper years ago for $60. I would have spent about $500 in Protools fees by now.

You might like to know Rich that there is a two page "Techniques" on Reaper in Sound on Sound current Jan 23 issue?
Might find some handy shortcuts?

Dave.

I prefer Calloway Supersoft to Pro V. They are half the price and go further if you are an oldie like me with 93 mph swing speed. You need 100mph + to get the best out of Pro Vs 👍

I got a couple of dozen Supersofts a few weeks ago. The first round, I did ok on the first 2 holes, on the third hole, my chip to the green just felt funny. On the par 3 4th, I hit a 7 iron at the green and it landed about 20 yards short. When I hit the driver next hole, it sounded like there was something wrong with my driver. It was way short. So I'm <150 yards out, pull out the 6 iron and hit. It flew like a wounded duck, going about 30 yards. I walk up to the ball and this is what I found. No wonder I was confused by the my lack of distance.

Needless to say, I didn't feel too confident with the rest of the round. I'm 69, so there's no 110mph swing here. It's probably in the 85-90 range.

The last two round have been with a single Volvik.

callaway.jpg

Ya done broke it
WTF!!? I stripped out an old golf ball when I was a teenager and its construction was nothing like that picture. Mine was layer upon layer of rubber ribbons with IIRC a small sack of liquid rubber at the centre. There is NO WAY you could break that old ball like that.

Has anyone seen the YT vids of those mad b'stds firing things at super speeds through a gas gun? Not sure if they did a golf ball?

Dave.

Reactions: RFR
Dave, they've had a few changes in equipment in the last 50 years. I don't have a brassie in my bag. I don't even wear knickers! Maybe I should have said I hit my Mashie instead of hitting a 6 iron. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

I'll have to see if I can find those Youtubers. It sounds like it might be fun to watch. Years ago, I had some of the the artwork that National Geographic magazine used of bullets going through various objects, like a balloon, a playing card and an apple. Very cool stuff.

WTF!!? I stripped out an old golf ball when I was a teenager and its construction was nothing like that picture. Mine was layer upon layer of rubber ribbons with IIRC a small sack of liquid rubber at the centre. There is NO WAY you could break that old ball like that.

Has anyone seen the YT vids of those mad b'stds firing things at super speeds through a gas gun? Not sure if they did a golf ball?

Dave.
Dave, I did the same thing. Except when I had unraveled the last of the rubber banding, the liquid center exploded. Got me in the eye. I flushed my eye out for minutes. Freaked me out. :LOL:

This is the first time ever, that I bet we've had of a bunch of music technology guys talking about ......... golf. I really never had any of you guys down as knowing anything about golf at all!

Reactions: TAE
This is the first time ever, that I bet we've had of a bunch of music technology guys talking about ......... golf. I really never had any of you guys down as knowing anything about golf at all!
I have a love hate relationship with golf. I love the idea of playing golf but she is a fickle bitch. I go to the range think I have everything figured out...get on the course oh hell no. It's been about 3 months since I played and I sucked. I unfortunately came late to the game @ 59. I had big aspirations but that ship has sailed. Living in Southern California in LA I have a shit ton of courses I can play pretty much year round and several on the cheap that are within 5 or 10 miles from me...nice courses.
My goal was to be able to break 90 consistently and I've got close but no cigar...yet. Ya got play and ya gotta practice or you're not going to improve...

Hopefully I can get some things sorted out in my life and get back out there.

Back