OK, Fender vs Squier. . .What's the REAL difference??

Trippalot

OK, I just got a mid-nineties Fender Squier Stratocaster that I was not too impressed with. Somebody give me some real stuff that's different between the real Fenders and the Squiers (even the Rogues). I'm looking for a good strat, but the Fenders are just too damn expensive. Give me some thoughts. . .anybody.

Ive got two words for you...pawn shop....

also, what exactly is your budget?.....

and when you are talking differences, your looking at things like type and quality of the wood used, hardware such as frets, tuners, bidges, and also things like quality control....now if you look long enough and know what to look for, you can score a good Mexican strat for a few bills....

Especially with Fenders...the biggie is the hardware. American models have nice things like the bi-flex truss rod, nicer string saddles, much better pots and smoother tuners. The pickups are always a toss up, cause you can find good and bad import ones and good and bad american ones. You can get the same wood type on a Fender inport if you are careful. But alot of squiers are basswood. And many are lots of pieces of wood. I hang out at the fenderforum for Fender details and experts, it may enlighten you a bit.

H2H

OK, I like where you are going with the Mexican Strat thing. Here's what I've got: The Squier I talked about previously (to trade or sell) and fifty to a hundred bucks. Most Squiers I've played fingered unbelievably; how come that's usually not the case with Fenders? And I am mainly inquiring in this thread about playability and sound. So you think the pawn shops carry decent guitars if you know what to look for??

The electronics are what I've found to be most lacking on cheap guitars, whether fender squiers or model X. Replacing the pickups, pots are a good starting point to improve.

Good thing about buying half-decent pickups is you can always swap them around into different guitars, so not a total waste of money.

Well the Mexican Strat can be had new for under $350....pawn shop route, Ive seen people practically steal some beautiful American strats for $300-$500.....If you can find a new Mexican one with a good playable neck, as the years come on and you can afford it you can go for things like new tuners, a good fret job and those kind of things......

I've been seeing some mexican strats go for less than two bills on Ebay. Be patient and bid strategicly. Check it out.
Good luck

You'll probably get more for your Squire if you sell it in pieces on eBay. You'd be lucky to get $100 for the whole thing together, but you have no idea how often I see Squire necks go for $60 by themselves on eBay.

Jake

Just purchased a mid-eighties JAP Strat on ebay.

Anyone want to bite?

No one?

Ok, how about:

"85/86 Jap Strats (the Contemporary 22 fret with Kahler) are better than any USA Strat built in the past twenty years."

Anyone want to comment? (Come on! This should be like blood to a shark!).

Please call them Japanese made instead of Jap......

Also, I dont know about the whole 20 years, but the Japenese Strats during the mid-eighties were, in my opinion, far better than the American made ones......

Sorry man - guess my political etiquette needs some work. At least I didn't refer to American Strats as Yankees. Actually, "Japanese" sounds much grander.

Anyway, I'll probably remove the Kahler when I get it, unless it doesn't get in the way - I'm not fond of wang bars (what's the point after you've heard Hendrix?).

Mexican strats

I get the impression from this discussion that a Mexican Strat and a Squire are two different things, and that the MIM Strat is a better instrument.

I've got a guitar that says "Fender Stratocaster made in Mexico" on the headstock. But it also says "Squire series". I thought I was buying a Mexican Strat. Is this not the case?

Twist

but Gidge, they're known world wide as the infamous "japstrat"!
And yes, they are great guitars from what I have heard. I almost had one last week but the guy sold it out from under me. AArgh! I would not hesitate to buy one I found for a fair price.

Did you guys also know that there are Squiers from around 1993, 1994 that are all american made with american parts? It was because the mexico factory burned down. They are mostly the ones with Fender on the headstock and Squier on the small of the headstock ball. They say Made in USA and have strange serial numbers, but they are something else to keep an open eye out for!

H2H

Re: Mexican strats

twist said:
I get the impression from this discussion that a Mexican Strat and a Squire are two different things, and that the MIM Strat is a better instrument.

I've got a guitar that says "Fender Stratocaster made in Mexico" on the headstock. But it also says "Squire series". I thought I was buying a Mexican Strat. Is this not the case?

Your first comment is correct. Squier's are essentially built for the ultra-econo market. They are currently manufactured in Korea. Mexican Strats are basically the "Fender Standard Stratocaster" built in Mexico (obviously) and are not related to Squier. I'm no expert on strats, and personally have never heard of the guitar you describe in the second paragraph. I would guess that, due to the "Squier" label, it isn't a "Mexican Strat" in the traditional meaning of the term.

thanks psmith,

I'll bet you're right. Oh well, it still sounds like a strat.

What a coincidence, I just started reading "The Shipping News"
which is set in Newfoundland

Twist,

Kevin Spacey and the rest of the cast apparantly were here recently filming the movie based on that book. We don't get too many celebrities in this neck of the woods.

In case you're curious or don't already know, Newfoundland is a Province of Canada and is essentially an island on the east coast (also includes Labrador which is on the mainland bordering Quebec). Population of approx 500,000. We get quite a few American tourists during the summer, but I'm sure many Americans probably would not even recognize the name.:o

As for your strat, only thing that matters is how it plays, sounds, etc. If you like it for what you paid for it, it doesn't matter what the headstock says (under than for curiousity - which I can understand).

Rgds
"the Newfie"

Yeah

I've come to realize (for what it's worth) that the type of wood doesn't make enough difference for the average listener to catch as far as sound goes, the electronics (except for the pickups) don't make enough difference for the average listener to catch, and if you have a guitar that you like, soup it up. Doesn't matter what's on the headstock (as stated by psmith).

But one question: do the tuners (economy vs specialty) make that much difference in intonation and staying in tune while you play?

Depends on how "economy" they are. Upgardign t some Grover's, Schallers or such will probably improve your intonation and tuning no matter what. The one you're upgrading from will determine how much of a noticable change there is. I upgraded my LP copy (sierra made), which cost e just under $200, to Grover Deluxes, and it plays SO Much better, has more snap, and stays in tune much better. Only cost me $30, and it was well spent.

Jake

yes definitely! The strat from my previous post came with really crappy tuners. I have to struggle with them to get and keep the guitar in tune. I am going to replace them as soon as possible. It's easily the best place to make an improvement on a guitar like this. Maybe the bridge next.

Hey psmith thanks for the geography lesson. All I knew about Newfoundland was "its up north". Sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Twist

Back