ok exactly how does this whole rigid fiber glass panel thing work?????????

mshilarious said:
Yeah that's the stuff, although I think FRK is faced. 2" should be fine for a vocal booth.

Ok cause i was hearing alot of people say that if you want it asborb bass good to get 3 or 4. oh and what do you mean when you say frk is faced

track pusha said:
Ok cause i was hearing alot of people say that if you want it asborb bass good to get 3 or 4

That's true, but human voice doesn't generate a lot of low bass. Unless you're recording Barry White :cool:

oh and what do you mean when you say frk is faced

It has foil on one side.

mshilarious said:
That's true, but human voice doesn't generate a lot of low bass. Unless you're recording Barry White :cool:

It has foil on one side.

ok, so 3 and 4 would be good for something like a control room? and 2 ich thick will still absorb highs mids and lows just not as much as 3 or 4..right? sorry for all the questions but i just want to make sure everyhting is right. i'm really concerned about the bass because in the past i used a big sheet of auralex foam for my booth and my voice sounded very boomy and muddy.

Innovations said:
True but in a small vocal booth room the 2 inches are going to kill enough of the bass too.

Really? I think 2" is only good to about 500Hz.

apl said:
Really? I think 2" is only good to about 500Hz.
It will have some absorbtive properties through the whole audio specrum. Remember that the vocalist isn't going to have a whole lot of energy in the low range and the room isn't large enough to develop a standing wave in the ultra-low frequency range.

Innovations said:
What you want is something that is accoustically transparent. In other words can you blow air through it easily. Mostly folks use one of four things:

1. Burlap...cheap kind of rough looking, can be bought raw or dyed.

2. Felt...cheap and soft looking, have a wide variety of solid colors available.

3. Lose weave cotton fabric. Wide price range and can be found in all sorts of patterns and solids.

4. Guilford of Maine Accoustic Fabric. Quite expensive but with a classy corporate interior kind of look.

For items 1 through 3 to play it safe you should buy some spray-on flameproofing. Guilford of Maine fabrics are already treated.

-------------
...and on the installation issue if you are using a frame then treat it like a picture (duh). If you are not using a frame use impaling clips. You can also DIY some impaling clips by pounding long nails through a 1 inch board, ideally at a slight upward (when installed) slant. Then screw this board into the wall so the nails are pointing out...impale your unframed covered panel on this.

So can you just use cotton bed sheets? I've got tons of extras.

Back