Note To The Stupid Rappers

studiomaster said:
Ok, so what's the top most?

You talkin' Vintage, or new?

(note - there is no such thing as "the top" mic. Just like trying name the best car ever made. It's a matter of taste. The new Neumanns, however, are def not the top, or most expensive......)

Most expensive New Neumann I could find in a quick search -

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M150Tube/

Here is a SONY mic -

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C800G/

Telefunken -

http://soniccircus.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9330/.f?sc=2&category=42

Rick Shepherd said:
The comment about "stupid rappers", not so wise at all! So young, but no excuse for that kind of stupidity! And I hope your first name isn't Kalil.

Sure it is. Very wise, imho. Hopefully the bastards will stop asking the same @#(@)(# questions every two days.

studiomaster said:
Ok, so what's the top most?

Top most mic, you mean?

A stereo version of the Neumann "Solution D" is about 10 grand.

Vintage Tele 251s can fetch 12K (the link above is to a Tele USA "reproduction" - NOT THE SAME THING!!)

Neumann is not what it used to be since Sennheiser bought the name in 1991. If you love that vintage Neumann sound, you need to buy a Gefell. They're the real Neumann.

tnjazz said:
Top most mic, you mean?

A stereo version of the Neumann "Solution D" is about 10 grand.

Vintage Tele 251s can fetch 12K (the link above is to a Tele USA "reproduction" - NOT THE SAME THING!!)

Neumann is not what it used to be since Sennheiser bought the name in 1991. If you love that vintage Neumann sound, you need to buy a Gefell. They're the real Neumann.

Yep - pretty much what I was saying. The Telefunken link was comparing new mic's prices. Vintage prices are crazy, but Vintage Neumanns are the shit.........

I didn't count the "solution D" since it is more than a mic, and a fad that I don't expect to catch on.......

Rick Shepherd said:
The comment about "stupid rappers", not so wise at all! So young, but no excuse for that kind of stupidity! And I hope your first name isn't Kalil.

It is wise...come on you have people who make a thread about which mic is best for rap. That means they didn't do their research. That doesn't make them stupid....what does is how they post a new thread every day with a new topic title but with the same qeustion. >_<

And also its not about the mic its also aout your setup....preamp, mixer, etc.

studiomaster said:
This thread is idiotic.

I disagree.

I think your contributions have made it a well-informed, concise, and heart-felt foray into the nuances of "rap mics". Kudos to you! :D

^ Pretty sure it is. However sooner or later this thread will be burried and the "What's the best mic for Rap" threads will appear in it's place :D

This is not a smartass question......is there any mics that are prefered by rappers and if so....why? I have a box full of mics and my tastes change daily with the use of these.

jpw23 said:
This is not a smartass question......is there any mics that are prefered by rappers and if so....why? I have a box full of mics and my tastes change daily with the use of these.

Sony C800G

NL5 said:

i'd rip my dogs beating heart out of his chest and give it to you for one of those :eek: :eek:

thats a terrible thing to say :o , i'm just being metaphorical.. ;)

i still think SM57's own all! :D :D

i would like to duct tape 4 SM57's together and use that as my main vocal "mic", oooh and also have it spin around at the same time!

but yes, there is no !@#$*& best mic for rap, thanks for acknowledging that some of your fellow rappers are friggin stupid.

of course, the best mic for rap vocals IS infact any shotgun mic use for video applications.. that way you can go !@#$ yourself with it when you are done producing a crappy song. :rolleyes:

Rick Shepherd said:
First of all, while I have some familiarity with his work, my name is not Kahlil.

Secondly, I am posting this because I am a rapper myself and I did not make such a thread. I believe that the purposes of those rappers will be well-served by a search. It will be a win-win situation.

noisedude said:
Over-rated and over-priced, is what you meant to say!

The only people who still idolise Neumann mics are mis-informed music tech students!!! :eek:

Or those of us who have used the product and found it to be to our liking.

I for one, have the AI and it works great for VO with my voice.

That said, I also have a healthy collection of Gefells and Brauners, Horsch and others (including vintage and KHE Neumanns)

even have a few R0de and a Peluso or two.

It all depends on your voice, the type of recording you are doing, your chain, and your budget.

i think that peluso tube mic blows away others in that price range... what is it, around $1200-$1400?

TragikRemix said:
i think that peluso tube mic blows away others in that price range... what is it, around $1200-$1400?

Depends on model and variant. The 2247 will run about $1400. The LE edition will go for about $1600 and up, depending on where you look.

Of the two, I recommend the LE either either Germanium (which I own), or the American (which I've used in several spots) tubes.

It's one of the best deals with a tube mic out there, and the guys at Peluso will custom make/tune a mic to meet a specific need if it's asked for. In one case, a studio wanted something very close to a 47, which despite the hype the 2247 isn't (it's similar, but has it's own sound... which I actually prefer over the 47 in many applications). A month later, the 2247LE shows up and it was about as close to a 47 as I've heard in recent years.

Yoda117 said:
Or those of us who have used the product and found it to be to our liking.

I for one, have the AI and it works great for VO with my voice.

That said, I also have a healthy collection of Gefells and Brauners, Horsch and others (including vintage and KHE Neumanns)

even have a few R0de and a Peluso or two.

It all depends on your voice, the type of recording you are doing, your chain, and your budget.
Doesn't sound like you're idolising Neumann to me ... sounds like you have a very nice collection of expensive mics and know their strengths and weaknesses.

Neumann really isn't something to aspire to in that sense, a U87 isn't a golden bullet or even a particularly inspiring mic to use IMHO.

noisedude said:
Neumann really isn't something to aspire to in that sense, a U87 isn't a golden bullet or even a particularly inspiring mic to use IMHO.

i dont understand the big deal with the U87.. its just a condesor right? no tube, no variable pattern, right? i would hope there's better things out there for what, $2800??

also, i see vintage MD421 "telefunken" mics on ebay.. are they made by Senn, or tele? or were they a joint company or something??

Back