NEWBIES - THE ART OF MASTERING YOUR SONGS (an introduction)

Yo' manning1 are you the same person as BManning from PROREC?

If you are........................

to all

Re: Why i posted more articles.
several people were quite complimentary on the ones i had written, and requested more articles.
Anyone can read back through some of the positive comments in the article threads.
so i subsequently posted more articles as requested by some forum members.
one poster said he had tried one technique out
i suggested and was satisfied.
I will now refrain from posting further in this forum
as i'm feeling rather dejected.
My only intent was to help out people totally new to recording,
as i was taking a break from songwriting over the holidays
into the new year.
I will now leave it to others to help.
all the best to everyone on here.

damn thats cold

yeah maybe should have read more than wrote and blue bear yeah your not bad for a pro!! lol very impressive work fella

Well I for one found his tips useful, and thought he was a nice guy. But hey - good work lemontree. Who are you gonna chase out of Dodge next?

Guys

Let me start by saying, Manning, I really like your attitude, you are a genuinely nice guy.

But-and I really try to be nice here-, I would suggest you should compare your sound to the many CD's out there that sound awesome. I've listened to a couple of songs and I kind of like "Kind and gentle man" the most of them, soundwise.

The first three songs sound kind of 'middy' with a lack of hi and low end. Plus I guess you're a guitarplayer, am I right?

"Kind and gentle man" sounds a lot better.

LemonTree, I like your sound a lot more, although it's a bit 'boomy'. A monitor question?

Compare your sound to the sound of Blue Bear, because that sounds awesome on my Altec Lansing computer speakers.

A really great sound Blue!!, My compliments.

Bruce's mixes sound so good because of his Mastering Secret Weapon. The BBE Sonic Maximizer! He uses it on all his mastering jobs.:D

Buffalo Bob said:
Bruce's mixes sound so good because of his Mastering Secret Weapon. The BBE Sonic Maximizer! He uses it on all his mastering jobs.:D
Almost - I couldn't afford the BBE, so I went with the Radio Shack karaoke version.... it's just as good! :p

:D :D

I master on to a Fisherprice™ My first tape recorder

LemonTree, I like your sound a lot more, although it's a bit 'boomy'. A monitor question?

It is indeed a monitoring question. I'm monitoring through a pair of 18 litre AIWA 3 way back ported bass reflex system ZS 200s. Monitors are the next item on my shopping list.

Alec.

Re: to all

manning1 said:
I will now refrain from posting further in this forum
as i'm feeling rather dejected.

No, just keep posting.

But, stop pretending like you are a big time expert when you are not, and stop trying to convince us that the record companies aer queueing up to sign you.

But good advice is good advice. Keep it coming.

Manning:

I don't know you, I haven't listened to your songs, and this is the first post of yours that I've read, although I understand that you've written many similar ones.

Let's leave aside the content of your post for the moment, as there are a number of points that you made with which I would take direct issue...

Instead, let's have a friendly discussion on something even more important - the formatting of your posts.

Allow me to be "Manning, jr." for a moment and make a constructive post of my own:

Advice for Newbies who would like to give advice:

1. If you are giving advice, make your posts as readable as possible. The best advice in the world will fall on deaf ears if communicated badly enough.

2. The biggest mistake in making a long post is to have it read as one massive paragraph. Seperate points deserve seperate paragraphs. They should be visually seperated by spaces between each paragraph.

3. Don't be afraid to use bold words/phrases or italicized words/phrases to highlight key points.

4. Proofread your posts. The longer the post, the more important this is. If you feel your own brain can't follow what you just wrote, how can the rest of us hope to succeed. And if your own eyes start to glaze over from trying to keep one's place in a 150 line paragraph, then it's time to reformat.

5. Writing style also affects readablilty. A little bit of humor and humility will always tend to put the reader "on your side". Pontificating comes across as arrogance, and tends to alienate the reader.

Good luck, and I hope you accept some of these suggestions in the spirit in which they were given.

(I will be without internet access for at least four days, so if I don't respond immediately to any further questions, it is not because i am ignoring you.)

Once again....
SOOO SAD!
You have a couple pro's, one with his own successful mastering facility, chasing out some dude that has something positive and helpful to say. Hey guys, did he once misinform this bbs? NO. It wasn't till he posted his music that you jumped to judge....up till then he was a well informed engineer...in my opinion he still is.
Manning1,
I employ you to continue writing your articles...they have been both helpful and encouraging to other members of this board.

Wow

A flaming thread.... here? Whodathunkit? As long as people are chiming in, I'll give my two cents... I've got a hole like everyone else...

Lemon Tree. I liked the sound on Hi Five - tight vocals and overall sound, but hated the vocals on NY (I'm not a big fan of anyone's singing being off by 1/4 tone whether it's intentional or not). Loved the placement of guitars to stand right out on Wardour street, but again didn't like the off-tune singing (again, even if it is intentional). Ack, jus got to the first guitar solo... not the fault of the mix, of curse...

Bruce - Great stuff. I've always liked your posts. This is the first time I've heard anything you've done. Keep helping us out. (I must say though, I loved the mix on Wild Women, but wasn't crazy about the vocals... same reason, what can you tell me about the bass setup on that track?)

Manning - Since you're under attack, that's what I listened to... As with LemonTree, not a fan of off-tune singing, nor the off-tune guitar here. Sounded like you went into the red in a few spots. BTW thanks for putting the parent's advisory on your songs. Need that more for those of us with younguns around. Green Lights Sounded similar. Perhaps you were going for a sound here... who knows.

As for me? I have no sound yet and I've been performing music all my life (38 years). Most of my recording is for school rehearsal cds. I Just started playing in an original Blues band, though, and we will have samples before summer. But hey, I'm a teacher, and as we know... those who can't do...teach! :p

PS: Even after being here for four years, this is the first I've listened to anybody's stuff. What a great learning tool. I can compare, ask questions and learn.

To Little Dog

I forgot to say that to Manning. If you can read into my last post, I didn't actually read what Manning wrote. I just decided that if Bruce liked some of what he had to say, it couldn't be all that bad. The reason I didn't read it was because of the format, and that's what I was originally going to say in my post. Apparently Manning has good things to say, but they are difficult to follow in his format.

Vic... I don't think you're reading the entire posts either. Bruce was critical of Manning's results, but not his entire post. He did have positive things to say. You remind me of somebody else who kept on about this point and couldn't see the whole picture....

Re: Wow

Brahmb said:
I loved the mix on Wild Women, but wasn't crazy about the vocals... same reason, what can you tell me about the bass setup on that track?
The vocalist -- it's funny -- there's no middle ground with him - people either dig his voice, or they absolutely hate it.

Over time, I got used to it - it does have a sort of "raw sound" appeal in certain contexts....

If I recall correctly, the bassist played a custom made 5-string... it was essentially DI'd (with a JDI Radial) going into a Presonus VXP. Tracked raw... some compression and tweaking during mixdown......

I've never seen a mastering suite with car speakers before. When I picture that in my head and it makes me laugh.

I just listened to the three sets of clips in question, and although they're all MUCH better than anything expected to crawl outta my basement soon, Bruce's stuff is the one that made me wanna listen.

I'm barely getting started so I can't say much, actually I've no business saying anything, so I'll just shut-up now .

Great thread...I just read the whole thing. Couldn't stop. I'v really appreciated the advice that I'v received on this bb, it really helps. After awhile you can tell that there are alot of talented folks that contribute to it. I would say to Manning, you should have listened to some of the other MP3's posted here and compared it to yours before spouting off about your mastering skills. Blue Bear said it best, the sound quality of your tunes don't match the experience you say you have. ( even I could hear that ). But thanks for tryin to help others...

Back