New studio construction

jeff5xo said:
Outstanding job Rick. Please continue to give all of us who are envious of you updates about your place. I love the colors you chose, very bright and vivid. Once again, great job man!

Thanks, Jeff! Actually, my wife picked the colors. I had a different scheme in mind, but she stopped me before I got too crazy. :-)

NYMorningstar said:
Rick is there any chance you'd give some of the info you used on the electrical wiring with maybe a few pics? Thanx

I would love to, but I hired someone to do the electrical. All I know is, all the electrical is new - ripped out the old and started from scratch. I had a new breaker box installed and it's using 24 20 amp circuits so far. All the wiring in the studio itself is isolated ground. Every receptacle and outlet is wired individually. I had to have seperate circuits installed for the exit/emergency lights (insurance requirement). The lights in each room are ganged, i.e.; control room lights are one circuit, iso room lights are one circuit, etc.

That's pretty much it. If you need specifics, I'm afraid I can't help much there. All I know is the general things. But I'd be happy to answer any questions if I have the answers. :-)

Hey Rick, it's Jeff, the one who commented on your colors. Not to be a copycat or anything, I just LOVE that blue color...................any chance you could give me the color name and manufacturer? I've looked at a bunch of color decks, and I just can't find anything close to that color.

Totally awesome, your doing what most here would love to do. Unfortunately my studio will be made from a two car garage when we pack up and move to florida. Right now Im in a attic or loft,,,older home but the rounded celing makes for a great room to mix. I track vocals here and everything else I just use the studio at school.

But back on your pics, they really are looking great and I can truley say I envy you. Congrats and cheers. Where are you located at?

Jeff5xo

jeff5xo said:
Hey Rick, it's Jeff, the one who commented on your colors. Not to be a copycat or anything, I just LOVE that blue color...................any chance you could give me the color name and manufacturer? I've looked at a bunch of color decks, and I just can't find anything close to that color.

Thanks for your compliments on the color! I actually bought the paint at Walmart (their brand). I can't remember the exact color, but I have some left and I also have the color swatch, so as soon as I dig that up I'll give you the info. Even if you don't like Walmart paint, you could go there and get the matching swatch and then have the place where you buy your paint match it. I bought it because their paint is SO much cheaper than everywhere else and it covered the walls. That's all I cared about. Oh yeah, I did prime the whole place with Kilz first. That can get pricey.

Pro Tools User said:
Totally awesome, your doing what most here would love to do. Unfortunately my studio will be made from a two car garage when we pack up and move to florida. Right now Im in a attic or loft,,,older home but the rounded celing makes for a great room to mix. I track vocals here and everything else I just use the studio at school.

But back on your pics, they really are looking great and I can truley say I envy you. Congrats and cheers. Where are you located at?

Thanks! Believe me, there were times when I would have killed to have a two-car garage size studio, so it's nothing to be disappointed about. My place only grew out of necessity. I live in an apartment and needed another place to record, found a deal (rent-wise) and figured if I was gonna do this, I better do it as well as I can. That was so long ago, I almost can't remember.

I'm just south of Boston, but I'd be happy to move to Florida! ;-)

for Jeff5xo

I told you I'd get that info for you! :-)

The color blue that I used is called Electra
The paint number is 91432 and it is on swatch # 143.
It's mixed with accent base. I got satin finish, YMMV.

Rick you are the man!!!!! I meant to ask you this the other day.......how's the new studio going?? Are you all settled in? Have you recorded anyone yet and how did it turn out? How are your rooms acoustically.........are mixes "traveling" well.

Decided to post some newer pics for those that may be interested. I had a client booked for this weekend, but he bailed at the last minute. I probably should get used to that. Anyway, these were just taken in the past few days. Forgive the picture quality.

Looks like I figured it out. Sometimes you just gotta look at what you're doing! lol

I'll have some more shortly. The website should be done soon also!

Thanks for hanging in with me. :-)

jeff5xo said:
Looks great Rick. I'm really interested..........how does your mixing room sound?

Thanks! Actually, the room sounds surprisingly good! I don't have any bass traps, absorbers or baffles of any kind in there yet, but I'm sure I'll utilize some types of those as things progress. The main thing I need to do at the moment is decouple the nearfields from the desk. Probably get MoPads for that, but the cash is too short right now. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to do that?

You could build stands out of MDF board. Pretty simple and cheap actually. All you do is cut 3/4" plywood for the top and the bottom of the stand, build a square with 4 3'' strips of mdf board (to the desired height) stuff the mdf "post" with rock wool, and glue and screw the plywood top and bottom on. The final step is to put open cell neoprene on the bottom (set your stand on it to seperate it from the floor) and on the top (between the speaker and the 3/4" plywood) and there you have it. Mine works awesome! Not a very detailed description but I wanted to give you another idea. Anyway, if you need more info let me know. I'd be happy to assist you in any way Rick. Talk to you later!

Things are looking really good there.

For de-coupling your monitors, I've ready that you can stack a couple of the thick foam rubber mouse pads beneath each monitor and it will provide sufficient isolation to de-couple the monitors from the shelf.

Cheers,
Darryl.....

Blue Bear Sound said:
Now all you need are a pair of ADAMs! ;) :p

A pair of ADAMs what?

:-)

Seriously, if I could, I would. I have a friend with a pair and they're fantastic. Right now though, they're not on my list. And since I'm struggling to afford MoPads at the moment....

I won't argue with ya though. I'd love a pair! Wanna donate to a fellow struggling studio owner?

Didn't think so. ;-)

jeff5xo said:
You could build stands out of MDF board. Pretty simple and cheap actually. All you do is cut 3/4" plywood for the top and the bottom of the stand, build a square with 4 3'' strips of mdf board (to the desired height) stuff the mdf "post" with rock wool, and glue and screw the plywood top and bottom on. The final step is to put open cell neoprene on the bottom (set your stand on it to seperate it from the floor) and on the top (between the speaker and the 3/4" plywood) and there you have it. Mine works awesome! Not a very detailed description but I wanted to give you another idea. Anyway, if you need more info let me know. I'd be happy to assist you in any way Rick. Talk to you later!

Thanks, Jeff! I'll keep those plans handy, but honestly, my desk is so big that stands would place the speakers too far away, I think. The shelf they're on is more than sufficient, space-wise and height-wise, just need to get them decoupled. I guess MoPads is the way to go.

DDev said:
Things are looking really good there.

For de-coupling your monitors, I've ready that you can stack a couple of the thick foam rubber mouse pads beneath each monitor and it will provide sufficient isolation to de-couple the monitors from the shelf.

Cheers,
Darryl.....

Darryl - I have the monitors on mouse pads now, but only one per. Maybe more would do the trick. They're cheap enough...won't hurt to try. Thanks!

Back