New studio construction

Oh yeah, I forgot. Did you notice I finally put on doorknobs too? It's the little things.....

thousands and thousands of little things.

Looking good, Rick

Hey Rick,

JohnL from DX checking in here (I've had a screen name here for a while, but I must have forgotten about it), just as you told me...

The place looks great! The console desk is particularly cool, as I had no idea you were going to make something of that sort. Now I'm completely envious...

I'm going to have to keep checking in here now!

John

Thanks John, and welcome back!

Hey, I'll gladly trade you that desk for your ears! :-)
Don't I remember you mentioning that you wanted to move out here? I coulda sworn.......

;-)

RickW said:
Thanks John, and welcome back!

Hey, I'll gladly trade you that desk for your ears! :-)
Don't I remember you mentioning that you wanted to move out here? I coulda sworn.......
Now Rick, you know if I lived anywhere near you, I'd be taking over - so you should probably be happy I don't live near you!

I don't know if you've gone over this in some other forum, but have you discussed what kind of gear you're going to put in here? I know you've bought some new things, specifically for the place...

John

RickW, you should post these pics and bulding process over at John Sayers site ( www.johnlsayers.com ). He hosts peoples' building projects processes. I think all you have to do is ask John and he'll set up a space for you.

John - I haven't brought up any gear at all here. I did buy some new gear...mainly monitors, mics and a DAW...but I haven't decided on exactly which software I want to go with yet. I'm tossed between Cubase SX and Samplitude, but Cubase seems to be the front runner right now. The only thing turning me off on Samplitude is the price. We'll see what happens. What I'm using now will suffice for quite a while and I can use the PC for editing in the meantime.

RickW said:
John - I haven't brought up any gear at all here. I did buy some new gear...mainly monitors, mics and a DAW...but I haven't decided on exactly which software I want to go with yet. I'm tossed between Cubase SX and Samplitude, but Cubase seems to be the front runner right now. The only thing turning me off on Samplitude is the price. We'll see what happens. What I'm using now will suffice for quite a while and I can use the PC for editing in the meantime.

Perhaps this isn't the best place to talk about software (and I'll be happy to move the discussion to another forum), but I use Samplitude, and I've used Cubase SX (on a friend's machine), and they're both good - they both do the same thing in slightly different ways. Are you going to record directly into the computer, or to ADATs, using the computer mostly for editing? Are you going to be mixing through the console/ADATs or the computer? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm just curious.

John

move this conversation?

John, I'd like to discuss further the software thing, but where would be the correct place? The Cubase forum? I don't know.

A view looking at the other iso...originally designed as a drum room, but it'll be used for multiple things now.

This is the control room behind the desk, but the desk is not in position yet. The pipe in the floor is where the cables from the other rooms will feed through.

One more view of the control room. This is the last pic for now. I'll have more once the baseboards are up and some of the equipment is in. That should be by the end of this week. Thanks for looking...and thanks for all your comments.

Dimensions

Hey Rick,

You may have actually put this information in another post, so I hope I'm not asking the same thing twice, but what are the approx. room dimensinos of each of the iso rooms, the main room, and the control room?

In your mind, how did you intend on laying a session out in there - say, two guitars, bass, drums? Just curious.

John

Wow John...you're asking me stuff I have to think about! :-)

The control room is 15 1/2' x 26' - iso 1 is 7' x 7 1/2' - iso 2 is 11' x 9' - the main tracking room is roughly 16 1/2' x 26' with that little alcove thing (between the two iso's) added on...and that's 7' x 9'. I think I'll have plenty of room. The smaller iso is naturally for vocals. The bigger iso was intended to be used for drums, so that option exists, but I want to keep that room "hard". I have a rug I can throw in there when necessary, but it's a tile floor. Both iso's have a slanted wall so they're not parallel. I'm sure the control room is gonna need some major damping/absorption treatment as the room is rectangular and the window is 4' x 8'. so there's a lot of glass. As far as how things will be recorded, there hopefully will be various configurations. I could have a whole band (minus singer) in the tracking room if needed and use gobos. I could fit people with DI's in the control room. I'm gonna play around in there for a couple of months to get everything up to snuff (my version of it, at least).

The lava lamps are on order (I have to try to look professional, you know), but still no espresso machine. ;-)

RickW said:
Wow John...you're asking me stuff I have to think about! :-)

As far as how things will be recorded, there hopefully will be various configurations. I could have a whole band (minus singer) in the tracking room if needed and use gobos. I could fit people with DI's in the control room. I'm gonna play around in there for a couple of months to get everything up to snuff (my version of it, at least).

The lava lamps are on order (I have to try to look professional, you know), but still no espresso machine. ;-)

I don't mean to put you on the spot...well, not maliciously, anyway! I guess the question would be, "Did you design you design the room dimensions/studio layout to reflect the way you work now, or the way you want to work?"

If we all {somewhat} agree on making the control room "sonically neutral", what kind of sound do you want the other rooms to have? I know you state that you want one of the Iso booths to sound live, how about the other rooms?

I'm probably driving you nuts with these questions, but I like to hear how other people approach these things. By the way, I don't think there are "right answers" or anything of the sort,
just looking for your outlook.

John

I don't think there are "right answers" or anything of the sort,

Disclaimers are in order. I am no expert. Here is my OPINION only.

On the contrary. Studio designers target RT-60 for the types of music to be recorded in them. Rock bands are not recorded in the same environments as classical, nor is jazz recorded in the same RT-60 environment as rock. They also target a time delay gap in the control room LONGER than in the studio, so you can HEAR it as you monitor. Hence, a control room is desireable with a rear wall reflection that is at least 20ms longer than the path of sound from a source in the studio, to the first boundary and back to the mic. However, I'm no expert so don't quote me. By the way, supposedly, the brain will integrate any reflection arriving at the ears within 20ms of the direct sound. That is the reasoning. As usual though, there are proponets and opponents of any theory or school of thought. Even LEDE is stated NOT TO WORK by most these days. It seems time, taste, and evolution of technology and science changes everything eventually. Recording is not exempt. Otherwise we would still be recording for MONO. From what I understand, surround 7.1 is just around the corner. Talk about an engineers nightmare.

However, lava lamps negate all discrepencys in the studio.:D
fitZ

Back