New Psych-Pop (all-analog)

That sounds really cool man! I like the character in the recording. What did you mix to? digital? I think some extra frosting could be added by mixing to 1/4" tape.

Thank you! Muchas Gracias!
Yes I mixed digitally :/ wish I could mix to 1/4 for sure. I can hear the extra layer of delicious analog in your recordings.
Right now I am getting to know my 80-8. Hope I can find a great mixing machines in the future, cause it does shows. Long live analog kid!

Thank you! Muchas Gracias!
Yes I mixed digitally :/ wish I could mix to 1/4 for sure. I can hear the extra layer of delicious analog in your recordings.
Right now I am getting to know my 80-8. Hope I can find a great mixing machines in the future, cause it does shows. Long live analog kid!

I've found the Teac 3300 (2-track, 15 ips version) to be a good, fairly inexpensive (and fairly common) mix deck for the 80-8.

Very cool sounding! Man, those horn players are layyyyyying back! :) Sounds really awesome. Great job on the recording, and a really cool tune and sound.
Thank you so much famous beagle. Most humble. Yes the horn section was a very layback bunch from Bushwick, doing some writing on the spot, and they still manage to keep a full game of dominos in between takes :) challenging and fun!

LToro

I love this. I think it sounds great! On the side, where did you get the video footage? It's pretty cool in itself.

Personally, I would not have been able to do it on a computer ... because I have little experience with them, and don't really know how to work it to my advantage. I also have no interfaces or software for recording (except Audacity). Ultimately, I don't think it would come out the same ... might be better, might be worse. The workflow is different, as every aspect of analog is something of a 'performance' (hands on faders, etc.). The sound itself is different ... specific tape machines, tape types, etc.

I think it would have been more work. Just a guess from my experience using digital. You probably would found something you didn't like and it would have driven you crazy.

Personally, I would not have been able to do it on a computer ... because I have little experience with them, and don't really know how to work it to my advantage. I also have no interfaces or software for recording (except Audacity). Ultimately, I don't think it would come out the same ... might be better, might be worse. The workflow is different, as every aspect of analog is something of a 'performance' (hands on faders, etc.). The sound itself is different ... specific tape machines, tape types, etc.

I would challenge anyone to try to emulate these recordings digitally, even using the same performers and instruments there are way too many variables in the tape machine and tape formulation and so much distortion/color added to the signal to emulate in 24bits let alone with a plugin algorithm IMO
Very cool recordings, where can I get my hands on the LP?

I would challenge anyone to try to emulate these recordings digitally, even using the same performers and instruments there are way too many variables in the tape machine and tape formulation and so much distortion/color added to the signal to emulate in 24bits let alone with a plugin algorithm IMO

Yeh, I tend to say 'I couldn't do it digitally' as opposed to 'it isn't possible' to avoid the non-analog folks getting in a uproar! (ha)

This album is only on CD, but we do have a 7" out from last year. Click on 'Troun Records' below.

I think Rafael Saadig and the Black keys do a very good Job in the box..

I think Rafael Saadig and the Black keys do a very good Job in the box..

Of course, some digitally recorded music sounds great to me. But what I meant was I doubt anyone can get such an authentic 60s sound recording digitally. The closest 60s/70s sounding record I've heard that was recorded to digital (but using outboard analog processing gear) is the Strokes first album. I haven't heard any RS or Black Keys recordings that had a similar vibe to this, which album/songs?

Of course, some digitally recorded music sounds great to me. But what I meant was I doubt anyone can get such an authentic 60s sound recording digitally. The closest 60s/70s sounding record I've heard that was recorded to digital (but using outboard analog processing gear) is the Strokes first album. I haven't heard any RS or Black Keys recordings that had a similar vibe to this, which album/songs?

Well see the thing is, both Raphael and the Black Keys do record sometimes to tape..
Raphael Saadig: " The way I see it" and "Stone rolling"
BK: "Brothers" and "El Camino"
Sound very close to the source to me?
Black keys have more of a 70's vibe,
MC5 me thinks..

THANKS! I'm actually going to be 're-mastering' (ha) the thing, so I've pushed the new release to May 14 (should be done by then), so you got one of the unique versions. I'm gonna be re-transferring the album to digital running through a mastering EQ to get a little more lows. seemed a little thin to me. I'll send you the updated version when it's out as well.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I'll have a real collectors' item 10 years from now, eh? :D

Well see the thing is, both Raphael and the Black Keys do record sometimes to tape..
Raphael Saadig: " The way I see it" and "Stone rolling"
BK: "Brothers" and "El Camino"
Sound very close to the source to me?
Black keys have more of a 70's vibe,
MC5 me thinks..

Thought the Black Keys always recorded on tape? I remember reading that all their earlier albums were recorded in a basement with a Tascam 388. Honestly don't know much about the Black Keys, but Dan Auerbach brought people from all over the midwest to record at his studio in Akron, which I think is pretty awesome. I have more of those recordings than I do Black Keys albums.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I'll have a real collectors' item 10 years from now, eh? :D

Thought the Black Keys always recorded on tape? I remember reading that all their earlier albums were recorded in a basement with a Tascam 388. Honestly don't know much about the Black Keys, but Dan Auerbach brought people from all over the midwest to record at his studio in Akron, which I think is pretty awesome. I have more of those recordings than I do Black Keys albums.

You're correct. All but the last two BK albums recorded to tape. Brothers and El Camino are digital Logic, Pro Tools, Sound Toys Decapitator plug in, sonic creations, jeje.

Nice recording and songs! As Simian Drunk said, the drums sound great! Proper classic sound, and I like the videos. All super-8 and 8mm footage I presume... :-)

Back