New mix suggestions... opinions.... how bad is it...

Hi AMcB - Thank you for posting your song for us to hear and critique. I am so sorry, but I wasn't able to get through it. Just not my cup of tea. But I wanted to let you know that I tried because I think it's important to provide feedback and be supportive.

Good luck to you,

Jen

Wazzup O'fallon--I lived at 70 & HWY for a year in that big ugly apartment complex...

Good sound on the guitars--dirty but clean and crisp if you know what I mean. Nice separation on the guitars as well.

But the whole mix needs more bottom end. I like all music to hit me in the chest. Music like this oughta hit me in the chest, crack my sternum and do manual compressions on my heart.

This one doesn't quite do that. Nice tight mix and arrangement, I just want to feel that fat bottom a bit more...

Nice work!

Guitars sound good; drums sound decent. Levels are good relative to each other.

The melodic vocals, unfortunately, sound a little pitchy. This gives the song a rather awkward start. It sounds very amateurish until the growled vocals (which sound really good, by the way) kick in.

I'd also recommend trying to give the melodic vocals more definition. Perhaps turn them down in the midrange and up in the high end?

I'll turn up the kick. The bass guitar is really quiet because the bassist wasn't to great.... Story of my life.... I'll work some more on the vocals.

I'll turn up the kick. The bass guitar is really quiet because the bassist wasn't to great.... Story of my life.... I'll work some more on the vocals.

I don't think the kick will get it by itself--it really needs the bass. If you really don't like the track, maybe you can retrack it without him knowing. (I'm assuming here that you're the guitarist and could make a run at the bass part.)

Even if it's just for the sake of experimenting with this mix, it could be worth it to see how cool it sounds with a solid bottom end coming from the kick and bass guitar.

I don't think the kick will get it by itself--it really needs the bass. If you really don't like the track, maybe you can retrack it without him knowing. (I'm assuming here that you're the guitarist and could make a run at the bass part.)

Even if it's just for the sake of experimenting with this mix, it could be worth it to see how cool it sounds with a solid bottom end coming from the kick and bass guitar.

If WS's idea doesn't work, Bass is the easiest instrument to edit. Edit the crap out of it and make it right........

If WS's idea doesn't work, Bass is the easiest instrument to edit. Edit the crap out of it and make it right........

NL5's right. You oughta be able to grab any & every note and move it to the right place. Copy and paste right notes into spots where there are wrong notes.

I've done as much for jazzy acoustic pieces--something this heavy REQUIRES the bass. :D

yeah, overall, this song is very well recorded, screamo/hardcore, not ususally my type of music, but its pretty good, the vocals, especially the deep scream or yell, could use some more bass, but overall, great work man
-BP

I'm not in the band. I just recorded it. I guess I throw some melodyne on the bass. I do play guitar, but I'm not going I spend the time to lean the song. I'll work with the bass. Try to get them to retrack the singing. But I kinda like the singing. And I'll repost it. Thanks everyone.

yeah needs some bass. i don't think the bass needs to be anything fancy just something to give it a heavier feel. i like the vocals. everything else sounds pretty good.

REMix

Ok redid the vocals. Worked on the bass (it showed up in melodyne as one note, they plated in drop B with supper thin strings, which is part of the reason its bad) I didn't really do anything to bass but turn it up, but not much. And did different eq on the vox. Let me know what you guys think!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7199806

Last edited:
Hey AMcB - I owe you an apology! I just listened again and it was cool! I stated that I wasn't able to get through it on my first response, but I think there was something crazy going on with my computer at work where it was all muffled and staticky. Although this genre isn't my style of choice to listen to, this song is very listenable for me. Very nice and sorry for my first post!

Jen

Hey AMcB - I owe you an apology! I just listened again and it was cool! I stated that I wasn't able to get through it on my first response, but I think there was something crazy going on with my computer at work where it was all muffled and staticky. Although this genre isn't my style of choice to listen to, this song is very listenable for me. Very nice and sorry for my first post!

Jen

No problem, thanks for giving it another chance.... But it's not my band anyway.

And I updated it again with more bass, same link.

Band reminds me of GlassJaw a bit, but much, much worse. I'd EQ the guitars a little bit more (cutting out the mids just a bit to get less of an aggressive, chunky sound out of it. Still could use a little more bass guitar. Otherwise, good mix.

Back