New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

PPS Can I delete a post somehow?

Also, why is the post text-editor just like WordPerfect 5? It's so horrible that I prefer to "shout" by using capitals for emphasis rather than have my profound textual constructions interrupted by {I}s & {/I}s, but, of course, with square brackets, whilst I proof-read them. But at least WordPerfect 5 had a spell-checker.

Also, I like to separate sentences by 2 spaces, but the text editor removes one of my spaces. This is ANOTHER infringement of my literary artistic rights, I believe.

Last edited:
I have some related questions regarding "foreground monitor", a term that goes nowhere useful when Googled. Here are my questions:

1. In recording-studio parlance, what is the function of a foreground monitor?
2. Is there such a thing, therefore implied, as a background monitor?
3. What is the function of such, if it exists?

I know what a foreground monitor looks like, and I am a retired analogue-electronics design engineer, at best, among other things.

Welcome Roysyboy!

1. I have not a clue.
2. I have no idea.
3. I'm totally lost

lol!

I am not sure I understand what it is you are questioning here and why you are at homerecording.com.

I am here to help if you could please elaborate on what you are looking for. :)

Jimmy

Hello, I'm Patrick and I've been producing music for fifteen years. Starting as an electronic musician, I picked up the guitar some seven years ago, and mainly compose extreme/experimental metal. To a lesser extent I make some stuff that is electro or industrial influenced. I guess I'm known on YouTube for my cover songs, but these days I'm focusing on my own material more.

Alias Jones here as a new member. I purchased the Tascam DP24SD and have only created 2 songs on it so far. I am stuck on applying dynamics and effects. As I understand it, you can only apply 1 at a time. Also I believe it said I can only put dynamics into subs and effects on channels....?? The manual really is no help to me. Can anyone give me step by step to add these and then how to get it to mix down/master? This is all new to me so sorry for my lack of knowledge. My last recorder is a Fostex 160 cassette....lol.
Thanks!

Hi dee Hi Ho!
The other day I am in a pawnshop and I take an acoustic off its hanger and start looking it over. One of the clerks rushes up to me.."If you want to look at that guitar you need to ask me first and I'll get it down for you. That's very expensive and if you drop it it's going to cost you a lot of money". I glance at the headstock.Sticker price: $2000! This is not what I expect at a pawnshop. "Okay thanks" I say and pass it back to him.
I do have a habit of prowling through pawnshops but I don't think I've ever spent more than $400 on a pawnshop guitar. As you've probably guessed I don't live in NYC.
I just plunked down the money for a used Ultralite MK3 Hybrid (Motu) – yes on Ebay. Now I have to actually try to understand how the thing works. I have been avoiding soundcards for about 6 years because I got tired of all the focus on my computer as opposed to making music. Now I'm back. Can you help soften my return to the joys of multi-track DAW recording? Here's hoping!

Hello, I'm Patrick and I've been producing music for fifteen years. Starting as an electronic musician, I picked up the guitar some seven years ago, and mainly compose extreme/experimental metal. To a lesser extent I make some stuff that is electro or industrial influenced. I guess I'm known on YouTube for my cover songs, but these days I'm focusing on my own material more.

welcome, sounds like you've been around a while, I'm sure you would be able to help others on here, I like the sound of your music mixing electro with industrial, this is one my favourite styles of music, it would be good to hear some of your music perhaps on youtube or when you are ready to reveal it, all the best, Ben.

welcome, sounds like you've been around a while, I'm sure you would be able to help others on here, I like the sound of your music mixing electro with industrial, this is one my favourite styles of music, it would be good to hear some of your music perhaps on youtube or when you are ready to reveal it, all the best, Ben.

Thanks! I like to help others, but I'm also a learner myself of course. I find it odd that didn't start frequenting this place earlier. Guess I was too busy reading other forums.

Here are some links for you:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rololoo
https://soundcloud.com/kres90
Music | Cres VF

Hello, i am Will, a newbie that loves synthesizers and jamming around for fun and creating music on workstations...but I was hoping to learn more about pc based recording (on a poor man's budget!������) yet i have hit more snags in my attempt than a drunk man hits traffic signs������ anyway, hi and hope that some of your recording expertise rubs off on me because so far I feel blind!!!! ����������

Hi, new here and still newer to making music. Trying to break away from Garageband and into Logic, but I'm feeling old dog new trick applies. I came here to try to get hints and tips and see the experience of others to get myself out of this rut.

Joseph here. I'm a Freelance Audio Engineer with over 7 years of professional experience, based in London. Just now stepping in to the forums so hopefully I can be of help!

I've been recording my own music at home since I was 16 (so 14 years now!) starting back in the day with a Tascam 4-Track cassette recorder. Things have obviously evolved, and now I teach others how to operate Pro Tools. Excited to be joining this community!

As a self-employed freelancer in this business, I've also been able to help other people with the intangible non-audio related skills of entrepreneurship (something I NEVER learned in school) that have been vital to making a living doing what I love.

For more on that, check out my blog (new post every week): proaudioentrepreneur.co.uk

Also, feel free to contact me via email. I would love to hear from you! smoothriverstudio@gmail.com

My website: smoothriverstudio.com

Cheers!

Joseph here. I'm a Freelance Audio Engineer with over 7 years of professional experience, based in London. Just now stepping in to the forums so hopefully I can be of help!

I've been recording my own music at home since I was 16 (so 14 years now!) starting back in the day with a Tascam 4-Track cassette recorder. Things have obviously evolved, and now I teach others how to operate Pro Tools. Excited to be joining this community!

As a self-employed freelancer in this business, I've also been able to help other people with the intangible non-audio related skills of entrepreneurship (something I NEVER learned in school) that have been vital to making a living doing what I love.

For more on that, check out my blog (new post every week): proaudioentrepreneur.co.uk

Also, feel free to contact me via email. I would love to hear from you! smoothriverstudio@gmail.com

My website: smoothriverstudio.com

Cheers!

I have a similar(ish) story, maybe you can help me on the business side of things, I have added your website to my favourites, thanks, and a warm welcome to the forum,

regards,

Ben.

My name is Chris. I have a DP24 soundboard. I recorded a bunch of tracks and successfully transferred the finished product to my laptop. Upon doing this I do not know if I deleted them from my machine, as they are no longer on my SD card. My question is this: Is there a way that my tracks (individual and completed) would be on the machine itself and how would i find them? Thank you in advance

Hey Everybody!!

My name is Robb. I'm a soon-to-be-40 father of 5 girls, and am FINALLY getting back in to music!! A rock n' roll drummer by heart I guess, I spent a lot of time in the early 90s also doing some sound reinforcement and stage lighting work. After the theft of my equipment, with no insurance and a broken heart, I moved on--- started a family, blah blah blah. A few attempts over the years to get at least another set failed, even as extreme as a tornado vs drums! But, my patience and perseverance has paid off, and here I am. Getting ready to order a new set, along with getting a basement studio going-- other than online research, I'm completely a virgin to most of this (although I'm pretty computer literate). That about sums it up I guess!! Pretty great site with a slew of information; I would imagine I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Hey Everybody!!

My name is Robb. I'm a soon-to-be-40 father of 5 girls, and am FINALLY getting back in to music!! A rock n' roll drummer by heart I guess, I spent a lot of time in the early 90s also doing some sound reinforcement and stage lighting work. After the theft of my equipment, with no insurance and a broken heart, I moved on--- started a family, blah blah blah. A few attempts over the years to get at least another set failed, even as extreme as a tornado vs drums! But, my patience and perseverance has paid off, and here I am. Getting ready to order a new set, along with getting a basement studio going-- other than online research, I'm completely a virgin to most of this (although I'm pretty computer literate). That about sums it up I guess!! Pretty great site with a slew of information; I would imagine I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Welcome Robb. A familiar situation to many around here. You came to the right place to find advice and input at all levels.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Jimmy

Heya guys. My name's Ed and I've been doing home recording for about 12 years now. I started with a $20 Radio Shack mixing board and a 20W practice amp. Now I've got the entire downstairs of my house dedicated to recording my solo work, my band, and occasionally other bands.

Hello my name is juan priyambada nice too meet you i'm just starting new home recording :). Right now i'm using xenyx 302usb for mixer and A.I. Learn cubase and, A.U.

Hello, my name is Sam and right now i'm planning on recording (on my own) my band's debut album. I'm a newbie but with some exp and knowledge. I joined this forum so i could get some advice when needed.

Back