New Ibanez/Vai pedal

Superhuman

Shagaholic
Not everyone's cup o' tea so don't bother reading any fiurther or clicking the link if you don't like either Steve Vai's music or his tone.

Here's a vid of the new Jemini pedal designed by Vai for Ibanez:
http://www.vai.com/

I think it looks pretty cool and the guitar work is typically Vai (excellent!). The one thing that's a bit misleading though is the wall of effects that is behind the rest of the chain. I would liked to have heard the pedal stand alone minus the reverbs and delays etc., jsut direct through the clean and dirty channels of a regular amp as this is probably how most people would use it.

Anyone here used one yet?

That video was hilarious! About 99% of that tone is produced by the Carvin Legacy amp that he was using. The Jemini pedal sounds pretty much like a Tubescreamer and a modded DS-1 combined. The color of that pedal makes me nauseous what was he thinking?

interesting how someone can so easily quantify the amount of tone created by a particular component, previous poster.

(bs anyone?)

however, yes it is hard to determine the actual sound of the pedal.

love vai, his personality and playing, but yeah this was rather indistinct.

interesting how someone can so easily quantify the amount of tone created by a particular component, previous poster.

(bs anyone?)

however, yes it is hard to determine the actual sound of the pedal.

love vai, his personality and playing, but yeah this was rather indistinct.

Maybe if you actually owned a Legacy and modded DS-1 like I do you would also be able to "easily quantify" the tone.

[horse's ass anyone]

That video was hilarious! About 99% of that tone is produced by the Carvin Legacy amp that he was using. The Jemini pedal sounds pretty much like a Tubescreamer and a modded DS-1 combined. The color of that pedal makes me nauseous what was he thinking?

Have you SEEN any of Vai's '80s guitars? :D

Really, that's pretty much what he was gunning for, though - a pedal that combines a DS-1 and a Tubescreamer so he can use one unit to boost the front of a Legacy. Considering the Legacy is pretty much a Vai-in-a-box sort of amp anyway, I'd be surprised if he tried to distill his tone down to a pedal. He just now has a signature pedal to go with it that combines the two boosts he used to use to juice the front end of his amp into a single unit.

I'm not too interested myself, but considering how rabid a lot of Vai's fans are, I'm sure it'll sell well to the JEM7VWH-into-a-Legacy crowd.

Maybe if you actually owned a Legacy and modded DS-1 like I do you would also be able to "easily quantify" the tone.

[horse's ass anyone]

Hey ocnor--does your legacy help you nail Vai's tone? (assuming you've tried it for that)

I love his tone (and playing) and I'm just wondering how right you are with your 99% comment. I put some Vai pickups in a EPI LP and even got a Bad Horsey wah--and I hear "hints" of Vai in the tone... (I know, I know, it's all in the fingers....) But how much is in the amp?

Hey ocnor--does your legacy help you nail Vai's tone? (assuming you've tried it for that)

I love his tone (and playing) and I'm just wondering how right you are with your 99% comment. I put some Vai pickups in a EPI LP and even got a Bad Horsey wah--and I hear "hints" of Vai in the tone... (I know, I know, it's all in the fingers....) But how much is in the amp?

If you are asking whether the Legacy is fat,creamy,and articulate, with sustain for days, and harmonics jumping from the fretboard then YES! Do I sound like Vai when playing through it? NEGATIVE! Just make sure to have a spare pair of underwear with you before you play though one. :D

If you are asking whether the Legacy is fat,creamy,and articulate, with sustain for days, and harmonics jumping from the fretboard then YES! Do I sound like Vai when playing through it? NEGATIVE! Just make sure to have a spare pair of underwear with you before you play though one. :D

Actually you answered exactly what I was asking. The whole "tone is in your fingers" thing is very true, but good tools encourage the fingers y'know?

Thanks for your review... :D

yes because we ALL know that percentage numbers are a great scale of how to judge tone.

kind of like measuring the distance from new york to california in litres.

yes because we ALL know that percentage numbers are a great scale of how to judge tone.

I think it was a reasonable figure of speech--and considering he owns the gear, I'd say he's qualified to use a reasonable figure of speech. Just chill...

I'm sorry if I confused your small brain with my terminology. We don't speak in grunts and clicks here. Maybe you would be happier over at Harmony Central talking with your little buddies about "teh brutalz" or whatever you kids call it.

whats to chill about? Am i attacking anyone?

Well you opened by calling his post BS, then instead of letting it go, you came back for more. But you know what, if you don't see it for yourself, I'm not likely to make you see it. So don't bother.

Ocnor's post was quite helpful, I appreciated his input. As such I didn't think your response to him was called for. But you apparently did. Whatever.

Have a great day. Or whatever kind of day you want...

Well you opened by calling his post BS, then instead of letting it go, you came back for more. But you know what, if you don't see it for yourself, I'm not likely to make you see it. So don't bother.

Ocnor's post was quite helpful, I appreciated his input. As such I didn't think your response to him was called for. But you apparently did. Whatever.

Have a great day. Or whatever kind of day you want...

its typical of the internet i guess. Oh well.

Just keep in mind, just because someone disagrees with you, and thinks something you said is BS, it does not call for personal attack.

its typical of the internet i guess.

Exactly how I'd would describe your behavior. Sorry dude, you were rude--and while none of the posts in this thread rise to the level of "attack" (not yours or his)--you got "edgy" first.

I've been more than reasonable and perfectly polite in my attempt to point it out. Like I said you don't see it. No skin off my nose...

Wow, I'm almost afraid to comment - I was gonna have a laugh and say: "Wow, a pedal that makes you play really fast but soullessly." I'll have to rethink my contribution now. You can't blame Vai if the manufacturers didn't clone his amp as well as his chain. I don't think the hendrix mega pedal goes that far does it?
I like the avataar white strat aka Lesley Noir.

Wow, I'm almost afraid to comment - I was gonna have a laugh and say: "Wow, a pedal that makes you play really fast but soullessly." I'll have to rethink my contribution now. You can't blame Vai if the manufacturers didn't clone his amp as well as his chain. I don't think the hendrix mega pedal goes that far does it?
I like the avataar white strat aka Lesley Noir.

Soullessly??? :D I know this is an age old debate (there's an active thread about heartless shredders right now) but I'm a big fan of Vai. Of alll the guys who can shred (and he can, but I don't call him a shredder, 'cuz he does so much more) he's got so much soul. I feel like I'm literally listening to him sing through his guitar...

Not fightin' with ya, Ray--just interesting how two sane people (I am--are you?) can see the same thing so differently.

Great presentation on the vid. At least Vai has a sense of humor about it..calling the "other" Vai a wanker...funny stuff.

Soullessly??? :D I know this is an age old debate (there's an active thread about heartless shredders right now) but I'm a big fan of Vai. Of alll the guys who can shred (and he can, but I don't call him a shredder, 'cuz he does so much more) he's got so much soul. I feel like I'm literally listening to him sing through his guitar...

Not fightin' with ya, Ray--just interesting how two sane people (I am--are you?) can see the same thing so differently.

I totally agree with you....except for maybe that sane part. :D

Back