New Guitar - Martin 000-15

32-20-Blues

Just got one of these today. I'm very happy with it - plays nicely, sounds great, looks good, and smells fantastic (I know, it's a strange thing to say, but trust me, when you open the case, there's a smell of trees :)).

I had been looking for one for a few weeks, and the shop finally got one in. It feels like Christmas day or something - I can't stop looking at it.

Attachments

• Martin_000_15.jpg
    Martin_000_15.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 71
VERY NICE!!! OOO's are my fave body size. I have a couple of Jumbos that I cant even stand to play anymore.

As for the mahogany Martins... when the first came out, I played about 10 of the D sized ones, and they were all too dark sounding for my taste, just wondering if the smaller body size balances the dark tone from the wood with the brightness of the OOO size?

As for that smell, I have spent about $200 over the years trying to emulate the smell of a new Martin, to market it as a rejuvenating case spray, but have never come close. One of the BEST smells in the world!!!!

As for that smell, I have spent about $200 over the years trying to emulate the smell of a new Martin, to market it as a rejuvenating case spray, but have never come close. One of the BEST smells in the world!!!!

Haha! I put my face in the soundhole of my Martin more often than my girlfriend's...

...cooking.

What did you think I was going to say? :p

VERY NICE!!! OOO's are my fave body size. I have a couple of Jumbos that I cant even stand to play anymore.

As for the mahogany Martins... when the first came out, I played about 10 of the D sized ones, and they were all too dark sounding for my taste, just wondering if the smaller body size balances the dark tone from the wood with the brightness of the OOO size?

Yeah, much more even sound across the spectrum. Far less dark, but still a nice bass response. I've been comparing and contrasting it with my brother's D-15 for most of the afternoon - personally, I like the D-15 fine for strumming, but it really doesn't fit with my idea of a fingerstyle guitar.

I know what you mean about the body size - they had a J-15 in stock (same material, Jumbo sized) that I seriously considered, but I couldn't really get to grips with the shape - just slightly uncomfortable.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes the new Martin smell!

Always loved the 000 outline. Well any of the O's rather than the D's for my eye's but what would I know. The Mahog top is a thing I think we are going to be seeing more of from other makers in coming years. So if you find a good one it's a good buy.

I have a really sweet little 60's epiphone mahog to here right now that someone dropped in for a new nut and set up. Nothing flash but sounds real tight, not at all floppy like some of the older more valuable Martin ones I've seen. I'd be interested in some sound clips as a comparison. I'll go and take a quick pick of it for you....hang on.

As to the new wood smell, I have to live with that all day. :cool:

Always loved the 000 outline. Well any of the O's rather than the D's for my eye's but what would I know. The Mahog top is a thing I think we are going to be seeing more of from other makers in coming years. So if you find a good one it's a good buy.

I have a really sweet little 60's epiphone mahog to here right now that someone dropped in for a new nut and set up. Nothing flash but sounds real tight, not at all floppy like some of the older more valuable Martin ones I've seen. I'd be interested in some sound clips as a comparison. I'll go and take a quick pick of it for you....hang on.

As to the new wood smell, I have to live with that all day. :cool:

Yeah, I read that mahogany would be more popular in years to come. Guild made some nice models out of it in the 70's though, right?

I know what you mean about the O outline, but there's something reassuringly solid about the dreadnaught shape - it looks like a brick shithouse.

Working on some sound clips soon, I'll be sure and draw your attention to them.

Here you go, not as nice as yours obviously but a nice no frills instrument. Would like to compare tone etc so if you do get a chance I'd love to hear a short along the neck across the strings sample.

Congrats on yours by the way. Enjoy it.

Attachments

• mahogepi.jpg
    mahogepi.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 44
Here you go, not as nice as yours obviously but a nice no frills instrument. Would like to compare tone etc so if you do get a chance I'd love to hear a short along the neck across the strings sample.

Congrats on yours by the way. Enjoy it.

That's a cool looking instrument - I love no-frills guitars. Is it particularly valuable?

Yeah, I'll get that sample recorded as soon as possible.

Edit; Just noticed the kick ass blueprints behind the guitar! Nice work.

That's a cool looking instrument - I love no-frills guitars. Is it particularly valuable?

Yeah, I'll get that sample recorded as soon as possible.
No not in real money terms, a few hundred £. but it's a steal if you can find a good one. He grabbed it on ebay for less than that and as he's a good regular customer and it doesn't need much work I can have it A1 for another £50 max. This one is in good nik.

Bearing in mind these were Gibson made they are worth it. The one thing I never got used to was the bridge. Take a closer look.:) Prefer yours.

No not in real money terms, a few hundred £. but it's a steal if you can find a good one. He grabbed it on ebay for less than that and as he's a good regular customer and it doesn't need much work I can have it A1 for another £50 max. This one is in good nik.

Bearing in mind these were Gibson made they are worth it. The one thing I never got used to was the bridge. Take a closer look.:) Prefer yours.

Yeah, I noticed the bridge - there was a feature on older Epi acoustics in Guitar Buyer during the summer, and they mentioned it. Is there any structural purpose, or is it just different for the sake of being different?

Edit; Just noticed the kick ass blueprints behind the guitar! Nice work.
Ha cheers, those are just outline sketches for a few commissions I'm starting on. Thats my drafting table. I had to work from home today as It's half term and the kids are mine till Wednesday next week.

Sorry, according to the wife it's a dining table!! So I said to her "Whats it doing in my office?"

I beat a hasty retreat.:D

What strings have you got on that OOO at present by the way? I have found that with mahogany topped smaller bodied stuff you can really hear a difference between type and brand. More so than you average spruce top. The right strings and they really sing..

Yeah, I noticed the bridge - there was a feature on older Epi acoustics in Guitar Buyer during the summer, and they mentioned it. Is there any structural purpose, or is it just different for the sake of being different?
Absolutely none at all. The secret with any acoustic bridge is getting the right balance of mass, and stiffness and making sure it is the right size and works for the bridge plate you have.

I am still convinced they just machined a load the wrong way back in 1960 and used em up as a feature. No such thing as a mistake in the guitar world, they always end up as features.;) :)

Another question for you, any idea what bracing you have on yours? I've never been up close inside one of those.

Ha cheers, those are just outline sketches for a few commissions I'm starting on. Thats my drafting table. I had to work from home today as It's half term and the kids are mine till Wednesday next week.

Sorry, according to the wife it's a dining table!! So I said to her "Whats it doing in my office?"

I beat a hasty retreat.:D

What strings have you got on that OOO at present by the way? I have found that with mahogany topped smaller bodied stuff you can really hear a difference between type and brand. More so than you average spruce top. The right strings and they really sing..

The strings are 80-20 Martin twelves. The guy offered to set it up with elevens, but I prefer a little bit of resistance when I'm fingerpicking.

Hell, I'd rather have my dining table covered in guitars and drawings than anything else. Did you learn technical drawing during college?

The strings are 80-20 Martin twelves. The guy offered to set it up with elevens, but I prefer a little bit of resistance when I'm fingerpicking.

Hell, I'd rather have my dining table covered in guitars and drawings than anything else. Did you learn technical drawing during college?
Kind of I got a waver at uni because I'd apprenticed as a cabinet maker after school and had done the basics then. I also did A level technical drawing.

Those aren't the real deal as I said they are just design drafts. I and most bespoke makers work to templates and jigs rather than a full tech drawings. We'll all have a lot of outline sketches and projections to back it up though. If it's something I think I may make more than one or two of I might draw up some full plans.

Rule is never measure off a paper drawing in any case. The one you can see there is for a 5 string bass I've been promising for a while and I was working on some new F hole designs for an archtop as well Thats why there is stuff everywhere. I have a pucker drawing board in the office workshop but actually prefer working flat on a table for some reason.

The string thing, Once you've played it in a bit It could be worth your while to try a few different types and brands (same gauge). I think you maybe surprised at the difference. Especially if you have a half decent spruce top to do some comparisons with. Just a thought, but if your happy with it as is all the better.

Kind of I got a waver at uni because I'd apprenticed as a cabinet maker after school and had done the basics then. I also did A level technical drawing.

Those aren't the real deal as I said they are just design drafts. I and most bespoke makers work to templates and jigs rather than a full tech drawings. We'll all have a lot of outline sketches and projections to back it up though. If it's something I think I may make more than one or two of I might draw up some full plans.

Rule is never measure off a paper drawing in any case. The one you can see there is for a 5 string bass I've been promising for a while and I was working on some new F hole designs for an archtop as well Thats why there is stuff everywhere. I have a pucker drawing board in the office workshop but actually prefer working flat on a table for some reason.

The string thing, Once you've played it in a bit It could be worth your while to try a few different types and brands (same gauge). I think you maybe surprised at the difference. Especially if you have a half decent spruce top to do some comparisons with. Just a thought, but if your happy with it as is all the better.

That's interesting. I studied architecture for a while, and still have my proper drawing board, and my full set of technical pens, pencils, blue lead etc. I never studied it for our equivalent of the A levels, so it was a steep learning curve when I got to college.

I figured that was a bass because of the extended top horn. There's a nice curve to it.

Are the f-holes you're working on radically different from the traditional ones?

Finally, the string thing - yeah, I like the sound so far, but I will try out some different brands. I played one with elixirs on it, and, despite what some people say about them, it sounded great.

Back