New DP-24 Firmware!!!

The DP-24 is currently not fit for purpose.

....and, frankly, nor are you.
Hmmm ... you are excitable, aren't ya? Although I have many things I'd like to say to you, I'll take the higher road and not stoop to your level (I'd hate to hurt my back). I am first and foremost a MUSICIAN and know you can't "fix" in post-production what you can't lay down when tracking. I have every confidence that Tascam will fix the bugs. And I'll continue to make and record my music on the DP24.

Like I said, I'd love to buy a DP-24, but I really, REALLY couldn't face losing days or weeks of blood sweat and toil.
One word for ya ... backup. If you lose more than one session it's your fault, and no one else's.

Now, turning to Rusty: Your lack of humility does hurt your credibility. If you are so talented why are working with low end Tascam equipment? I mean its obvious that someone with your talent must have income flooding in from several major labels and you can afford that oak control room, right?
Bugger off. I'm a musician, not an engineer. When I want professional recording/mixing/mastering I hire a studio ... and they aren't using MTR's. My DP-24 sits in a corner and is used for scratch recordings, capturing ideas for songs and arrangements, and the occasional demo.

Listen, boy, I've had enough of your hypocritical, insulting nonsense.

Both your posts to BILLY were insulting, your post to me was full of insults.....what about this:

"at any rate, opinions, based on hearsay, from someone who neither owns nor uses a piece of gear aren't worth reading (which makes me wonder why I did!). "

So don't be talking about no "higher road"...Mr Rustybadmouthhypocrite.

The fact is, you're a nasty bit of work who has been found out and beaten (up) at his own game (easy, peasy too, it always is with bullies....no real backbone, you see). There was NEVER any need to attack BILLY in the first place (Mr Bully). His concerns are real and legitimate.

Like I said. The stark REALITY is that these fundamental issues exist.

Denying the REALITY and attacking BILLY and I just makes you look even more foolish than you already do.

Now, go away and slowly and repeatedly bang your head against a wall.

Listen, boy,
Boy? sheesh ... you ARE a fool, aren't ya?

"at any rate, opinions, based on hearsay, from someone who neither owns nor uses a piece of gear aren't worth reading (which makes me wonder why I did!). "
Yeah, so?

Like I said. The stark REALITY is that these fundamental issues exist.
Never claimed otherwise, did I? But it doesn't mean the DP-24 is trash, as you so adamantly suggest.

Denying the REALITY and attacking BILLY and I just makes you look even more foolish than you already do.
Hah! "attack"? You and your buddy just don't like it when someone takes a contrary view. Tough.

Now, go away and slowly and repeatedly bang your head against a wall.
Right. There's no intelligent discussion possible here. I'm gone.

Good talking with ya.
Let's do lunch sometime.

Fondest Regards.

The Scarlet Pimpernel

ps: You keep in touch with yourself, now. Y'hear.

I'm a musician, not an engineer. When I want professional recording/mixing/mastering I hire a studio ... and they aren't using MTR's. My DP-24 sits in a corner and is used for scratch recordings, capturing ideas for songs and arrangements, and the occasional demo.

this is exactly what i use it for....It is the ultimate Songwriting sketchpad...I recorded 3 tunes in my Sig. "I Love To Love You" 'The Lamb" & "I Saw Jesus Today"...

I didn't have a glitch or lose work outside of 1 time in the whole almost a year I've had it....

Once I really believe in a tune it goes to my Producer in Nashville & I cut my VOX in Los Angeles at a high end studio....

I reverted back to the old version because EQ changes have got to be kept....

Couldn't hear any difference in 16 bit versus 24 bit....

It is what it is guys....A great piece of Semi-Pro gear....Heck I paid close to $3000 for my whole ADAT set-up (8 tracks) in 1995...This whole set-up was under $600....for 24 tracks with Mastering Capabilities...I don't have to switch cables to play my MIDI back and record each and every time....

Heck...If I really tried I could put out a CD with it....But I use my Korg Triton Extreme for my Drum Tracks and would rather use my session guys when i get to the end.

I have zero knowledge of Compressor settings and EQ etc. and I have put out some decent tracks....I don't know, for under $600 I think the tracks are okay.....

Hi guys,
its my first post, I'm curious as to the software differences/editing/effects of the Neo compared to the DP-24, I'm aware of the hardware diffs. Also is the neo a more stable system?. There is a roland VS 2000 that I can buy, but I'm concerned of hardware fragility due to age.
thanks for any comments

if you use the headphone out to feed your headphone distribution you will get the metronome.

Thanks for posting that, John! I hadn't tried that, but it makes sense that they'd route the metronome to the headphone out, along with the monitor out...I suspect the overwhelming majority of users simply plug into the front panel headphone jack, rather than a rack mounted distribution amp.

Guys, I have a question, maybe slightly off topic, but are there any ways to recall fader settings on the DP 24? I spend so much time mixing and maybe would like to work on a different song and hear my mix fresh on another day, but am afraid to because I may never get the settings correct again. Any feedback will help.
Thanks!

Wow! That's a step down from my Fostex VF 160. I'll just have to make a track sheet like you said. .
Thanks.
FYI- It hasn't crashed on me and I've had this unit since August. I'm hoping the folks that had freezes and lost their work were victims of pilot error. So far so good over here.

I know you used to be able to save scenes on the Neo. I haven't been able to find that on the DP24. It seems silly that its not there.
I'm having pops and spits while I'm recording now. sadly loosing the will to live with this machine.

I know you used to be able to save scenes on the Neo. I haven't been able to find that on the DP24. It seems silly that its not there.
I'm having pops and spits while I'm recording now. sadly loosing the will to live with this machine.
Correct, the DP24 doesn't have "scenes" like the Neo. I'm curious ... the Neo doesn't have motorized faders, correct? And you have to sync the physical faders to the digital settings on a separate screen, correct? And the fader sync behaves differently according to how it's set up in preferences, correct? It sure seems to me a simple mixing track sheet is simpler and faster. Just note the fader level (on the mixer screen) for each channel, and return them when you reload the song (if you've moved the faders since saving, of course).

I can't speak to your audio problems as there isn't enough info to go on.

I've downloaded the file , however , I'm having problems updating the unit from the computer. I'm totally clueless on what to do after I connected the unit to the computer. Thanks.

I have a NEO and a MKII, and neither unit has "a tad too noisy for my liking" :eek: In fact super clean and runs flawlessly. and I agree with ya'll about how Tascam should not have put this inferior DP-24 out on the market so soon....BIG MISTAKE !!!

Since this thread was started there have been a few more Firmware updates (the latest on 4 June 2013)

I am thinking of buying a Tascam DP-24 and am wondering if the crashing and saving EQ issues have been resolved satisfactorily with the latest firmware? I often record with several musicians at once and I can't afford to have a crash happening mid-way through a recording session.

Back