New DP-24 Firmware!!!

BANGING-BILLY

Woo Hoo! There is a new DP-24 firmware available that claims to fix so many problems! You can now record at higher sample rates and create interim 16 bit CD demos.

I will let you know how this new firmware works!!! This is the second firmware release for the DP-24.

Well, this new firmware is awesone. There are new features too, like peak hold, power save, and sub-frame editing.

More important, you can now record with 48kHz and 24 bits!

Now, this makes the DP-24 even more valuable. But, it does ask us an ethical question: Did Tascam release the DP-24 before it was ready for production use?

I love this product. It is brilliant. But, what upsets me most is that I called Tascam to complain about these missing features and I received very vague responses. Tascsam support never said, "yes, we know about this and we intend to fix them." Instead, I was given an indirect response. This tells me engineering is not in touch with Tascam support, or worse, there was a little deception in play. This sucks because the product is absolutely beautiful. But, the firmware 1.10 was release almost a year after the unit was initially sold.

Tascam support

I've owned two 2488's, the original (MK I), and the Neo. Both had problems that I called Tascam about and received the same vague response to both issues. It amazes me that you'll read several forum users that have the same problems, but Tascam has not heard of anything. I think they know they have issues, but are trained to not answer directly in order to avoid user panic! They are great machines ...... Just very finicky.
MLC

e hae
Well, this new firmware is awesone. There are new features too, like peak hold, power save, and sub-frame editing.

More important, you can now record with 48kHz and 24 bits!

Downloaded firmware and I believe we have addressed the issues.....

It always could record at 48kHz & 24 bits but you could NOT burn a Master to CD....My first session I had to outsource to a friend because I could not mix down to CD....Just burned my original session in a snap....awesome

I've had to transfer to my computer to convert Wav forms to MP3 and then burn to CD when recording here @ 48kHz 24 bit...

I can stop recording at my 44.1kHz & 16 bit workaround now........

DANG I RETURNED ONE UNIT BECAUSE OF EVERYTHING THEY FIXED....

But I got a replacement because this is simply the most intuitive Songwriter Digital Multitrack one could want....

I don't like to get lost in a maze of technology....

You can track so quickly and easily....This is the best machine for someone who is a serious writer who wants to create and capture the moment in high fidelity....

Glad I stuck with this puppy because it is perfect, at least for me

Last edited:
The new version has a bug. When saving songs the EQ settings are lost. Even the current song is affected if you do a manual save. Let Tascam know via their support page on their website.

Thanks for posting this, RustyAxe....i was going to install the firmware this weekend, but I may hold off now, to save the EQ settings with the songs. I wish the DP-24 had the Scenes feature that original 2488 Mk I did....it would save EQ, pan, and level settings, so you could "dial in" your last mix easily at the next session!

Well, I have found a lot of bugs with this firmware. If you copy and paste a short pattern at 48kHz with 24 bits 99 times you get lots of pops and hisses. When you attempt to edit sub-frames the IN and OUT times are totally screwed up (truncated) and do not reflect the actual IN and OUT times. Plus, after editing, a "yes" and "no" confirmation dialog displays on the meter/save key tags.

Now I am gonna rant.

The Tascam DP-24 is a beautiful device. But, Tascam waits a year to release features that should have been working since day 1: like sub-frame editing and the ability to burn demo CDs from master tracks made at 24 bits and 44 and 48kHz.

Worse, Tascam released this untested bug-ridden firmware for one reason: the Namm show is this weekend, so Tascam felt the need to release the firmware to prevent getting ambushed by complaints about the missing feature at Namm. So, those of us that use this equipment to help pay our bills were just victimized. You see, Tascam felt it was more important to release a really buggy firmware so that anyone who calls them on the carpet at Namm can be greeted with "oh, that's fixed man."

Tascam, you sold us out. We expect firmware to be fully tested before release. But, given the large number of real bugs with this firmware 1.10 release a few days before the Namm show reveals the contempt Tascam has for its customers.

I insist that Tascsm drop everything and withdraw the 1.10 firmware and replace it with a more stable firmware that finally unlocks all of the features this DP-24 is supposed to have.

If someone can prove to me that my allegations here are without merit then I will withdraw my complaint. This is a travesty. This 1.10 firmware should never have been released. But, it does show all of us that Tascam knows about the missing features stated above. Pull your pants up Tascam and fix the material defects with the DP-24 now!!!

Stuff happens. I agree, Tascam was in a rush to get a new firmware release out by the start of NAMM, but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest there's some sort of big corporate conspiracy, nor would I say Tascam has "contempt for its customers". They f'd up, and they'll make it right. The previous poster obviously has a flair for the dramatic ... "insist"? ... "travesty"? ... how about a little patience and wait for a report from Tascam. Just sayin' ...

Of course, it is always reasonable to take the high road. But, I think I have a right to be upset.

First, the DP-24 has some major defects. Like the inability to cut cdroms (16 bit) when your master was created in 24 bits.

Next, the DP-24 has a hard time editing. For example, prior to 1.10, there was no sub frame editing. Plus, editing in general can create pops and hisses that can't be cleaned up since there is no sub frame editing.

Now, with 1.10 we see sloppy things like the inability to save your EQ settings with a song. We see confirmation dialogs when we have already confirmed. We see the IN and OUT times corrupted when editing.

Now, here is where I get angry. The release of 1.10 basically confirms what we have known, there was a major defect in cutting 16 bit demo cd's from a 24 bit master.

Yet, when contacting Tascam support about nearly all of these issues, I get a vague, indirect, response like try using a different memory card---even though my memory card is fully supported.

Plus, we are going on a year here. If Tascam support acknowledged these defects then I would be patient and give them all the time in the works. Instead, Tascam support played dumb and this completely wasted my time trying to reproduce problems and get tech support to see the issue. Now, one year later, tascsm releases a firmware that fixes defects that I never got a straight answer they exhausted.

So, yeah, I am pissed because if all of the denials from tech support. And, you know Tascam was going to get called on the carpet at Namm, so they released the firmware to console angry consumers---to get them out of their hair.

Again, if Tascam admitted these problems when I called then I would be more patient.

I may just put the old version back on....I had only 1 freeze up in a year...

Plus I had bought a CD burner for my laptop...I dump 24 bit MASTER wav.file to computer convert to mp3 and burn it...

I lost all my EQ settings on one song....yes that would be a disaster to work that way.....

I had invented a "work-around" to the 24 bit to CD issue....I will probably revert back....

That's just what I did, Steve, back to v1.02. We have a similar workflow ... PITA, yeah, but got the job done. I haven't had my unit very long, and have not had any lockups. For me, any really serious editing is better done in a DAW (I'm cheap, and Reaper does the trick for me). I suppose there are times when 24/48 is important, but for the vast majority of casual MTR users (like me) 16/44.1 CD quality is just fine. Hell, most of what we record is ripped by the end listener to low quality compressed format to be played on an iPod through cheap ear buds! I can wait for the corrected firmware release. Having been a programmer I'll bet some coder is gonna do a headslap Monday morning and do a five minute fix, and some QA guy is gonna have his butt chewed.

I may just put the old version back on....I had only 1 freeze up in a year...

Plus I had bought a CD burner for my laptop...I dump 24 bit MASTER wav.file to computer convert to mp3 and burn it...

I lost all my EQ settings on one song....yes that would be a disaster to work that way.....

I had invented a "work-around" to the 24 bit to CD issue....I will probably revert back....

Well, it's been awhile since I last posted, but I felt I had to chime in and support Banging Billy and his justified rant at Tascam. Watching from the sidelines, this is how it seems to me:

I bought a Neo last March.....brilliant features for the price, but a tad too noisy for my liking, so I expectantly looked to the new DP-24....Oh goody, a new tracker design after a decade of the 2488....

Which turned out to be a bug-ridden shambles with far fewer pro-features than the ancient 2488 design.

....and (despite the firmware updates) it still is!

There's lot's of negative reviews on the net and the more I compare features in the respective manuals (Neo vs DP) the worse the comparison gets!

BB is right, this product should NOT have been released a year ago....and it's still not ready now.

Are you really telling me that, a year on, you still can't burn a 24 bit 48k CD without destroying hours of (EQ) related work, IN/OUT points corrupted, pops & noise on recordings, not even something as simple as cut n paste works! There are still freezing issues (even with firmware updates), etc, etc. This is basic stuff that should work right out of the box.

Rubbish. No, really. That's not good enough.

Tascam is in serious danger of ruining it's reputation with shoddy products like this and the DP-32 (another bug-ridden disaster from what I've read).

I'm aware a few of you love your DP-24, but, from my perspective, despite the currently attractive UK pricing (no-doubt at least in part because of these issues), I'm actually scared to buy a DP-24, because I couldn't face losing days or even weeks of work due to a faulty product that still doesn't work properly a year on, because of shoddy design, implementation and inadequate firmware updates from Tascam.

There's lot's of negative reviews on the net and the more I compare features in the respective manuals (Neo vs DP) the worse the comparison gets!
I see only three reviews, and none less than 4 out of five stars. What more do you want?

Rubbish. No, really. That's not good enough.

Apparently not for the terminally impatient.

Tascam is in serious danger of ruining it's reputation with shoddy products like this and the DP-32 (another bug-ridden disaster from what I've read).
See my comment above. Same deal ... 4 stars.

Many decry the absence of drum tracks. Personally, I find them out of place in a MTR ... mostly weak, crappy kits, difficult to edit. There are better ways to add drums to your tracks ... maybe a REAL drummer, or any of a number of programmable rhythm machines, or software based like Superior Drummer and EZ-Drummer (and others). Pops and noises? Not from the MTR, and I've not read anything about such, anyway.

at any rate, opinions, based on hearsay, from someone who neither owns nor uses a piece of gear aren't worth reading (which makes me wonder why I did!). Most user-reviews online are just as useless. Often inexperience and/or unrealistic expectations are blamed on the gear.

Well, Gdub, my opinion isn't hearsay. I can tell you with confidence that the DP-24 has a horrible problem with editing on the v1.10 release.

Load and play a 16 bit 44kHz song, and some editing. Then save.

Create 24 bit, 48kHz song.
record a drum track to channel 23/24 (stereo) for about 3 minutes.

Set IN and OUT to the smallest interval possible to where you avoid getting I/O too short error.

Next, set your implicit TO value to 0 (full rewind).

Then COPY-PASTE 99 times from track 23/24 to track 21/22.

Now, rewind and solo 21/22 and PLAY. You will get pops and hiss randomly throughout the track. Sometimes not too bad, sometimes really bad.

This is most likely due to random least significant bits not being cleared and are thus converting to an audible artifact post paste.

Finally, I view the DP-24 as a semi professional appliance. Implementing a half baked drum machine would ruin this product as it turn it into a toy.

Since most technical specifications are confidential trade secret, we generally look to the user manual as the specification. Here, the DP-24 fails to meet the specification since its operation does not comply with the book.

I think waiting one full year before opening my big fat mouth on the failings of the DP-24 reveals a ton of patience on my part.

Plus, if you read my initial post here, I was happy and optimistic. I agree with you, after reading your response, that I was overly dramatic and I am sorry about that.

I just want this darn thing fixed. If I had oodles of musical talent then I wouldn't need all of these editing features to work. But, I have very limited talent and I rely upon the magic.

Long time Tascam user....back to the 424 in the mid 80's, the MIDIStudio 688 in the '90's, the original 2488 Mk I when it was released, and recently, a DP-24.

I'll agree with Billy's comment about the DP-24 not needing a drum machine per se, however....I feed the Audio Outs (RCA) into a headphone distribution amp, and unfortunately, the internal metronome doesn't come through those outputs, effectively rendering the metronome useless when tracking vocals, miking a guitar cab, basically whenever using a microphone. This is an instance where setting a basic pattern, even on a primitive MIDI kit, would effectively serve as a timekeeper for one individual laying down numerous tracks.

Luckily, I have an Alesis SR-18, so it's a simple matter to create a simple pattern of high hat strikes on the beat, record it to a stereo pair, and then have the necessary timekeeper....but the DP-24 should have something other than a metronome that only plays through the monitors.

Tascam wasn't exactly quick on the draw to release firmware upgrades for the 2488, but they did eventually come out, and they did address some of the more glaring issues the original release(s) had....let's hope they do the same for the DP-24, in a reasonable timeframe.

Overall, it's an impressive machine, and it's a snap to back up unfinished tracks from the 2488 as individual WAV files, and then import them to the DP-24 to continue work. The Mastering tools do a good job overall, at times eliminating the need to bring a finished mix into Sound Forge Pro and then run them through iZotope's Ozone to create a final master. Ozone offers more flexibility, and remains my tool of choice, but to be able to make a reasonable master right "in the box" is a nice feature.

Considering the price of the DP-24 (less than half the cost of the original 2488), you do get a decent bang for the buck, particularly in contrast to watching the clock in a studio....when you consider the rather large percentage of listeners that will play your work on portable MP3 players, listening on the ear buds provided with the unit....you can create more than passable quality on this deck.

I hope they do address the issues properly, without introducing new problems (as this 1.10 release has done) within a reasonable time.....but I'm not getting rid of my 2488 anytime soon either.....

I see only three reviews, and none less than 4 out of five stars. What more do you want?

Only three reviews! Absolute nonsense. There are far more than that.
It's obvious, Mr Rustyshill, you do not do the in-depth research that I do on these issues (I research gear until I know EVERYTHING there is to know about it), so maybe you should try harder. EG: Like looking at the comments by the many people complaining about these issues on this site) ! Jeez!

Apparently not for the terminally impatient.

Or the terminally blind and biased.

See my comment above. Same deal ... 4 stars.

4 stars! Nonsense. People are justifiably upset at losing days if not weeks of work. Just read this forum. Almost EVERYONE has lost hours of hard work at some point . It's not acceptable. End of story.

Many decry the absence of drum tracks. Personally, I find them out of place in a MTR ... mostly weak, crappy kits, difficult to edit. There are better ways to add drums to your tracks ... maybe a REAL drummer, or any of a number of programmable rhythm machines, or software based like Superior Drummer and EZ-Drummer (and others). Pops and noises? Not from the MTR, and I've not read anything about such, anyway.

at any rate, opinions, based on hearsay, from someone who neither owns nor uses a piece of gear aren't worth reading (which makes me wonder why I did!). Most user-reviews online are just as useless. Often inexperience and/or unrealistic expectations are blamed on the gear.

Drums ? I never mentioned drums!

Also, if you actually bothered to read what BILLY wrote you can see he mentions pops and noise, pay attention. I've also read other comments from users about pops and noise (possibly even on this site)!

The truth is, for some reeason (known only to yourself), you rubbished BANGING BILLY and his legitimate concerns about the DP-24, these problms actually exist, are you saying they don't ? Well ?

Anyway, in truth, who cares what you think, your credibility is clearly non-existant.

It really is a zero sum game. We're right and you're wrong and it's simple to prove:

Q: Is it entirely possible, as things stand, that you could buy a DP-24 and end up losing many hours of work because of the corrupt operating system and inadequacies of the DP-24 ?

A: Yes. Absolutely.

So, there it is. That's the bottom line and your arguments crumble to dust in the face of this stark REALITY.

The DP-24 is currently not fit for purpose.

....and, frankly, nor are you.

BB.

I really don't understand why Rustyshill has rubbished your claims (and Tascam are obviously being disingenuous to you with their comments).
Anyone taking the time to research the DP-24 would instantly realise there are obviously some major issues going on.
I mean, surely, if there is ANY risk of losing many hours (or weeks) of tracking work, that's TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I can't believe that, a year on from launch, these fundamental problems still exist. It's shoddy. It's bad business practice. All in all, it's rubbish.

Like I said, I'd love to buy a DP-24, but I really, REALLY couldn't face losing days or weeks of blood sweat and toil.
How many others are out there like me, scared to buy the DP-24 because of these issues?! Probably quite a lot of people.

Hi Bob,

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong, I wanna love the DP-24 (because I don't want to use a computer & I've already tried and sold the only other alternative: The Zoom R24)

The DP-24 IS great bang for your buck........IF there's no chance of losing precious work.

....and here's another thought: Put a colour screen on a 2488 and the DP-24 is all but extinct! That says it all.
Even the 24 bit 48k and 8 simultanious phantoms of the DP-24 wouldn't tempt me. Because the features lost from the NEO are more important in a home studio environment, imho.

Gdub, thanks for your support!
Please forgive me for responding to a post with your name---it was not you. I am sorry.

Now, turning to Rusty: Your lack of humility does hurt your credibility. If you are so talented why are working with low end Tascam equipment? I mean its obvious that someone with your talent must have income flooding in from several major labels and you can afford that oak control room, right?

Back