New Amp

eyema_believer

Bondservant
Just got me one of these..... I wanted a Lonestar, but this one has the sound I was looking for. It's called a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express 1x10. It's got two EL84s, and a gaggle of 12ax7s.... Thing sounds killer... I even kindof like the built-in reverb, and I usually can't stand spring verbs....I'm gonna try and get 'er recorded tonight after I put the wife to bed...... :D

Yay!!

~Shawn

Attachments

• boogie 2.jpg
    boogie 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 212
OK.... Here's the test.... mistakes and all -->

This is the amp miced with an SM57, a tad off axis. My home-made Tele. Listening back, I could have rolled a bit of highs out of the lead sound. These tracks were compressed a bit in Cubase, and has a bit of Waves 2-tap delay and the lead has a bit of TC Electronics big cathedral verb.... all of that just playing to a loop...

I can't believe I bought a Mesa Boogie. I actually didn't buy it, I traded a bunch of stuff I had sitting around unused for it. I feel guilty almost for having such an indulgent amp...although it's probably the least expensive Boogie there is.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks for sharing!

That sounds really nice (and you're playing too--I really groove on your lead phrasing). Where was the gain on the lead?

Thanks for sharing!

That sounds really nice (and you're playing too--I really groove on your lead phrasing). Where was the gain on the lead?

Thanks sir!

That was the "blues" mode with gain at about 10:30, as the clock flies.... This thing gets that recto sound no problem though, if thats what you want.... I just dialed that up a minute ago....woosh!

Peace!

~S

Thanks sir!

That was the "blues" mode with gain at about 10:30, as the clock flies.... This thing gets that recto sound no problem though, if thats what you want.... I just dialed that up a minute ago....woosh!

Peace!

~S

Yep, I'd love to have a dose of the recto sound in a smaller, more affordable (gulp!) package.

That sounds really cool (amp and playing). If I ever get a chance to try one of those Mesa's out, my curiosity is definately peaked.

Congrats on the new amp! :)

I love that clean tone at the very beginning! Is that just the amp, or is there some chorus added in?

The rest sounds awesome too, but talk about a first impression!

I love that clean tone at the very beginning! Is that just the amp, or is there some chorus added in?

The rest sounds awesome too, but talk about a first impression!

I'm glad you like it, solaris1982. There is no chorus effect per se on that, only delay, added in the mix. I think it's gonna be a great amp to record with.... The only problem I'm having so far is the fact that the knob's positions really do make a HUGE difference on this amp, ( and they are extremely inter-active, making things worse) and when I get a sound dialed in, I can't "save" it, so I have a hard time remembering how I had it set... (I have a hard time remembering just about anything) .... I guess I'm going to have to start writing down all the settings when I find a tone I like. :o

Nice chops mang!

you don't get any better tone than what Mesa offers, bar none...period.

Thanks sir...
I think I'll find this Mesa useful :)
Although I'm finding I am going to have to buy a compressor pedal.... Just not enought sustain with my beloved single coils. I'm quite sure I'm addicted to sustain though..... :o

Yes very nice tones and great playing too! (Although I was wanting you to throw a few blues notes in there or some passing tones to mix up the diatonic thing.) :)

But you had some great feel and tone for sure!

I had a Boogie Maverick at one time, and it recorded very well for the half-dirty rhythm stuff. I was never crazy about the clean tone though, and that's something I've never been able to warm up to Boogie's for.

A lot of people love them though. Of course, a lot of people play hard core distortion stuff with them, which I'm not into. It's nice to hear someone get some nice tones out of them that's not balls-to-the-wall distortion.

Listening now on a pair of earbuds... Not bad tone at all. I actually really didn't like this amp when I first played it, and as I've always had a thing for both Mesas, and for low wattage amps, I was all prepared to love it. I'm still wondering if maybe something was up with the one I played though, because your clip here sounds great.

the one I played certainly got nowhere NEAR Recto territory... though, to be fair, I love my Rectoverb more for the sounds it gets NOT associated with the Recto family...

Also, you're not helping my tele gas. :D

Listening now on a pair of earbuds... Not bad tone at all. I actually really didn't like this amp when I first played it, and as I've always had a thing for both Mesas, and for low wattage amps, I was all prepared to love it. I'm still wondering if maybe something was up with the one I played though, because your clip here sounds great.

the one I played certainly got nowhere NEAR Recto territory... though, to be fair, I love my Rectoverb more for the sounds it gets NOT associated with the Recto family...

Also, you're not helping my tele gas. :D

Dude.... you don't have a Tele??? :eek:
Jus kiddin', of course.
Yep.... I'm doubting it really does get to honest to goodness recto territory, (even though that's what Mesa's site says) but I am going to take it over to me buddies house and compare it to his Road King. He's got an Ibanez with humbuckers too, so I can really tell what it's high gain sound like.

Peace!

~Shawn

Back