Need to buy a turntable

Hey Lt.Bob, do you know anything about low-output moving coil cartridges? Some articles are saying coils are lighter than magnets, so that's what you want to do the moving. And low output means less wire in the coil, so it is lighter still.

Is there any merrit to all that? And just how low is low output?

The Ortofon Tango Low Output MC Phono Cartridge seems within reach at $225...

Hey Lt.Bob, do you know anything about low-output moving coil cartridges? Some articles are saying coils are lighter than magnets, so that's what you want to do the moving. And low output means less wire in the coil, so it is lighter still.

Is there any merrit to all that? And just how low is low output?

The Ortofon Tango Low Output MC Phono Cartridge seems within reach at $225...
well ..... the mass thing is the point of MC carts in general. You have less mass for the needle to get into motion so it responds to transients quicker.

I have both and there is a difference in sound although you can't just apply the sound of one MC or MM across the board.
But in my MC carts I feel like I hear more delicacy and top end accuracy while my MM's seem to have a fatter sort of sound.
I feel like the general perception of MM versus MC are correct but either can sound very good.

As for low-output ..... the biggest issue is gonna be compatibility with your phono stage.
I believe you already have a phono pre that will do MM or MC. But that doesn't mean it will accept a low output ..... well, it will accept it but it may be low in volume where you need to turn the volume control up really high to get it loud enough.
A normal MC is gonna put out maybe 3-5 mV. That Tango puts out .3mV. For really low output carts they'll often have to use a step up transformer between the cart and the phono-pre.
If I remember correctly, isn't your phono pre part of an older stereo amp/receiver? If so, it might not amplify enough for that Tango.
I have a Benz Micro MC-20 I believe and a Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo and they're both med-high output.

Back