Need pics of a SP B1!!!

new2mix

I need pics of the front and back of an Studio Projects B1 mic. I bought one off of ebay and when I cleaned it up a little it it rubbed the labels off of it.

will someone take some pics of it so I can write on it what each setting is.

Thanks

I got the mic a planet waves mic cable a small desktop mic stand, and the shock mount shipped for 65$s. The mic was a little dirty when I got it so I figured I would put a little windex on a rag and rub it very gently. the lettering on the one side came right off. I don't know what the mic is supposed to sound like but I can tell you that I tried them both at fairly low volume about a foot away from my fender super 60 on several settings with my MXL 909 on one side of the speaker this SP b1 on the other in the exact same place and the SP B1 is much much more natural sounding and doesnt have that mid range growl that I hated with the other mic. I usually use my EV c04 instrument mic but I will definately use both from here on out depending on what I record.

I am not a SP mic guru or a anything, but I am pretty sure that is the older model, making it a B3? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am sure someone will step in with the correct answer here.

SRR said:
I am not a SP mic guru or a anything, but I am pretty sure that is the older model, making it a B3? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am sure someone will step in with the correct answer here.

Some of the later run b1's came with a rolloff and pad before they switched to the mk2 version.

I guess I don't need the pics if someone can just tell me top to bottom for the back what the settings are.

Last edited:
cello_pudding said:
for real. who are these people that ask these questions?

I actually have the front written on there. I looked on the SP site but i need the order that the back settings go from top to bottom.

So For real if you don't have anything to contribute ..... then don't contribute..

SP B1 switch positions

I have a recently-purchased B1 in my hand now. (It doesn't have the red SP badge shown in the site picture - just a black silk-screened SP logo.)

Front, "B1" side of mic, top-to-bottom: Flat; -10dB; -20dB

Rear, "CE" side of mic, top-to-bottom: Flat; HP@75Hz; Hp@150Hz.

You can easily verify this by listening to it!

you have a B1? FOR SURE? it's a db or roll off switch.

if it's a B3, then its an ...

"omni
cardioid
figure 8"

...switch

i know nothing about this mic. just what the studio projects site had and what google image search has taught me.

you didn't have any pictures on the ebay auction?

do you have no way of plugging it in and recording with different switches?

it's not going to be a mix and match of db's and patterns.

if you know where the db pad is, you'll know which is the roll off

there's many many threads where the answer comes from someone googling the poster's equipment and telling them.

it's pretty much saying "do my easy easy homework for me"

The Mic is a B1 as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure it said B1 on it before I tried to clean it. All the pictures only show the front part of the mic which I know the settings of from looking on the SP site and using the google image search. There are several variations of this mic apparently in different production time frames I guess so there are some pictures where the mic doesn't have any switch on the front. The manuals on the SP site don't say what the switches are in order just what they are. I did not know if the rolloff switches were arranged from top to bottom or bottom to top.

This is what I needed. Thanks Pink Noise and everybody else.

new2mix said:
The Mic is a B1 as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure it said B1 on it before I tried to clean it. All the pictures only show the front part of the mic which I know the settings of from looking on the SP site and using the google image search. There are several variations of this mic apparently in different production time frames I guess so there are some pictures where the mic doesn't have any switch on the front. The manuals on the SP site don't say what the switches are in order just what they are. I did not know if the rolloff switches were arranged from top to bottom or bottom to top.

This is what I needed. Thanks Pink Noise and everybody else.

Looks like a B1. If you call Justin at our office, we may have some old style bodies laying around that has all the screening on it. I am happy to help out if I can for you, but I just do not know if we have any. Call our office and ask. If we have a ton, you can have it for free...just the shipping cost.

Anyone gives you a hard time there, tell them I sent you off the HR forum and have them ask me...

Enjoy your B1....

Studio Projects B1

And the moral of the story is . . .

DON'T CLEAN YOUR SP MIC ! ? ? ?

I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to protect the lettering with a clear lacquer? Draughtsmen used to use something like this to protect the "rub-on" lettering which I know as Letraset. :confused:

Great mic for the price, BTW - lives up to its reputation and reviews!

I'll bet that's an original version (silkscreened logo, not the "badge" logo) SP B3, not a B1.

I have a B3 and a B1 sitting front of me, and the original (silscreened logo) B1 doesn't have switches.

Also, the B3 switches are THREE POSITION switches... do your switches have three distinct positiions? If so, it's a B3.

The switch on the front is the pattern switch; up is omni, center is cardioid, down is figure 8.

Another telltale difference is on the back of the mic... see the "CE" logo? on a B3, it's positioned above the rolloff/flat/-10db pad switch (top, middle and bottom positions); on the B1, it's positioned near the bottom of the back side of the (switchless) mic.

Hold the mic up to a light and look at the diaphragm(s)... if you see a gold disk on both sides with a wire running from the center of both sides, it's a B3.
If it appears to be gold on one side with a wire in the center, and the other side looks silverish with no wire, it's a B1.

I think you got a killer deal on a first generation SP B3, especially with the extras, and especially if all the patterns and other switch features work properly.

:cool:

Misleading advice . . .

kid klash said:
"do your switches have three distinct positiions? If so, it's a B3."

You are WRONG kid klash! :mad: Read the whole thread and believe Alan Hyatt, who should know. You are not familiar with the current product. Mine has 3-position switches on both sides, and a silk-screened black logo, and it is a B1, as described above.

new2mix said:
I swear it said B1 before I rubbed it off accidently. here are some pics. the front switch is the pad button I figured that out. The back must be the 150hz and 75hz switch.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1007174/IMG_2956.jpg http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1007174/IMG_2958.jpg

Checked out the pics, I have some suggestions on your list.

I'd skip Kris's party and do recording stuff instead.

I've also tried telling my wife that I have a ring allergy, but she doesn't buy it.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Back