Need advice on treatment + placement

apl said:
Not so, grasshopper. The foil would be very reflective, and allow mid and lows to be somewhat transmitted. Also the tighter fabrics.

I'm in a professional field that is very closely related to acoustics.

I guess foil wasn't a good example but I was only trying to illustrate the sound waves passing through.

I guess my main thought is, the only point of using the 703 in this fasion is to sound treat. Or, absorb as many sound waves in as broad of frequency as possible. Right? So if you were going to wrap it in a "non breathing" fabric, the fabric would absorb (not reflect) Highs and some mids, and pass through some mids and the bass to which the 703 would handle.

So guess it brings me back to your statement of "if it breaths it passes sound waves". Unless a fabric is very very dense(vinyl, nylon), it would not reflect much at all. (and even then in this application would prob be a good thing) I mean even nylon carpet (read dense fabric) would absorb highs and high mids and pass mids and lows.

Ok.. I think I confused myself now. :confused: :D

I know you sure confused me...haha

On a couple of different subject points:

I read on Auralex's website that it is best to have your monitors point toward the higher ceiling when it is vaulted. If this an absolute? If so, I would need to re-think my plan on putting the desk on the west wall as that is the highest; the monitors would be facing the shorter, east wall.

Also, what's the best way to lower the sound transmission through the window? Well, wait, I know the best way, but what would be the most cost-effective, temporary way? A heavy blanket of some sort?

Thanks!

Nutdotnet said:
I read on Auralex's website that it is best to have your monitors point toward the higher ceiling when it is vaulted. If this an absolute?
For best mix yes. You want the angles of all walls (including ceiling) angled away from the mixing position to keep early reflections away.
Nutdotnet said:
Also, what's the best way to lower the sound transmission through the window? Well, wait, I know the best way, but what would be the most cost-effective, temporary way? A heavy blanket of some sort?
The best I've seen was a piece of plywood that had some 703 attached to it stuffed in the window frame like a cork so to speak.

============================ (plywood)
......|______________________|...... (703)

Great drawing huh. :D

VSpaceBoy said:
For best mix yes. You want the angles of all walls (including ceiling) angled away from the mixing position to keep early reflections away.

The best I've seen was a piece of plywood that had some 703 attached to it stuffed in the window frame like a cork so to speak.

============================ (plywood)
......|______________________|...... (703)

Great drawing huh. :D

Haha, GENIOUS man!!! :D

Ok, so if the window is 72" x 48" and the largest pieces of 703 I can get up here are 24" x 48" I would be looking at....3 sheets of 703? $20 per sheet...so $60 + some plywood...got it...this is what you're talking about doing right?

And about the room...well, I think I may need to re-think my placement then. I mean, if possible, I should try to aim for the best mix possible. I think I may just start with putting the bed on the west wall...putting the dresser on the east and centering the desk on the east wall and seeing what kind of space I can get.

Nutdotnet said:
Yeah, that was my initial thinking. The dresser will cover a portion of my closet (that entire north wall is a closet) but whatever... :D I'm a guy...guys don't need closets.

I'm a guy... I need my closet to keep all my skeletons in!! :eek:

Sorry!! :p

Nutdotnet said:
Ok, so if the window is 72" x 48" and the largest pieces of 703 I can get up here are 24" x 48" I would be looking at....3 sheets of 703? $20 per sheet...so $60 + some plywood...got it...this is what you're talking about doing right?
Whoa big! Thats going to be pretty big and heavy and may be hard to keep in the window. You said temporary, but HOW temporary? Are you going to place it up there only while tracking? Or leave it there all the time, and remove it when you move away?

Nutdotnet said:
And about the room...well, I think I may need to re-think my placement then. I mean, if possible, I should try to aim for the best mix possible. I think I may just start with putting the bed on the west wall...putting the dresser on the east and centering the desk on the east wall and seeing what kind of space I can get.
I just looked back on your first drawing, was that secong drawing a elevation showing the ceiling slope? I didn't realize what that was at first. If thats the case then definatly yes you want the mix desk against that east wall. So that last plan of yours seems like the winner

VSpaceBoy said:
Whoa big! Thats going to be pretty big and heavy and may be hard to keep in the window. You said temporary, but HOW temporary? Are you going to place it up there only while tracking? Or leave it there all the time, and remove it when you move away?

I just looked back on your first drawing, was that secong drawing a elevation showing the ceiling slope? I didn't realize what that was at first. If thats the case then definatly yes you want the mix desk against that east wall. So that last plan of yours seems like the winner

Yes, it is a big stinking window. Pretty much just temporary where I can easily remove it when I move away.

Yes, sorry, the second drawing is the elevation...thanks!

After thinking about it; I'd rather not go through with the 703 over the window. As much as I know this would work; I also need to keep in mind that this is my room too...and I am one of those people who need to sleep in the "cold". I'm crazy, I open my window in the middle of winter, and I live in ALASKA!!! HAHA.

So mounting three sheets of 703 + a sheet of MDF or plywood would really not be in my best interest.

Would hanging a heavy blanket or heavy curtains (if they make such a thing) be possible? I know it won't block out highway traffic noise as much as the 703 panels but I need to do something, while still being able to access the window.

THANKS!

Nutdotnet said:
After thinking about it; I'd rather not go through with the 703 over the window. As much as I know this would work; I also need to keep in mind that this is my room too...and I am one of those people who need to sleep in the "cold". I'm crazy, I open my window in the middle of winter, and I live in ALASKA!!! HAHA.

So mounting three sheets of 703 + a sheet of MDF or plywood would really not be in my best interest.

Would hanging a heavy blanket or heavy curtains (if they make such a thing) be possible? I know it won't block out highway traffic noise as much as the 703 panels but I need to do something, while still being able to access the window.

THANKS!
Yea thats what I was thinking when I asked the "how permanant" question.

Blankets only help some in the early reflection of sound for mixing and recording, they do NOTHING for sound dampening or proofing.

I would say still get a big piece of plywood, attach some insulation to it, and then just use a fastening system to hold it in place while your loud. Then take it down the rest of the time. There are different kinds of latches and or hooks that would work.

VSpaceBoy said:
Yea thats what I was thinking when I asked the "how permanant" question.

Blankets only help some in the early reflection of sound for mixing and recording, they do NOTHING for sound dampening or proofing.

I would say still get a big piece of plywood, attach some insulation to it, and then just use a fastening system to hold it in place while your loud. Then take it down the rest of the time. There are different kinds of latches and or hooks that would work.

Ok, well, I could screw some hooks into the studs around the window frame, drill some holes into the plywood, and attach that way...unfortunately, as I stated previously, it's one big stinkin window and anything I build I think is going to be pretty heavy, although I guess I could split it up...

Would you recommend still going with 703 for the insulation? Maybe something else?

Thanks again for your help.

Nutdotnet said:
Would you recommend still going with 703 for the insulation? Maybe something else?
No, not really. The cheap pink stuff would work just as well really. Just make sure to use rubber or some sort to line the edges of the plywood all the way around creating a seal against the drywall when its in place. Just attached the pink stuff to the inside.

VSpaceBoy said:
No, not really. The cheap pink stuff would work just as well really. Just make sure to use rubber or some sort to line the edges of the plywood all the way around creating a seal against the drywall when its in place. Just attached the pink stuff to the inside.

Gotcha...so just get some rolled batting, staple it to the plywood (paper side up I'm assuming), get some weathing stripping to create a seal around the plywood...and create a way to attach/detach from the wall?

Nutdotnet said:
Gotcha...so just get some rolled batting, staple it to the plywood (paper side up I'm assuming), get some weathing stripping to create a seal around the plywood...and create a way to attach/detach from the wall?
Not weather stripping. Sound stripping. (rubber)

VSpaceBoy said:
Not weather stripping. Sound stripping. (rubber)

Yeah...that's what I meant. :D

Dumb question though...is this stuff typically available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc???

(the reason I ask is...I don't know what the heck those places carry. I went to both looking for some "T-Pins" (like thumb tacks with a T at the end instead of a round piece of metal)...yeah...no...wasted an hour).

Nutdotnet said:
Yeah...that's what I meant. :D

Dumb question though...is this stuff typically available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc???

(the reason I ask is...I don't know what the heck those places carry. I went to both looking for some "T-Pins" (like thumb tacks with a T at the end instead of a round piece of metal)...yeah...no...wasted an hour).
Yea pretty much everything but the rubber. For that if it was me, I would buy this and cut it into strips.

VSpaceBoy said:
Yea pretty much everything but the rubber. For that if it was me, I would buy this and cut it into strips.

Ahh...ok, I see what you're saying now. Thanks again.

You know, had another idea last night...which may be a tad more expensive, but may work better and be more versatile.

The window in question is recessed. It has a set of blinds attached, which offer about a 2.5-2.75" recess on the top and a 3.5-3.75" recess on the bottom. (due to more blind hardware on the top then bottom).

Sheets of 703 measure 24x48x2; hence the sheets would be thin enough (even after wrapping in a fabric, say, adding another .25-.5") to simply place inside the window recess.

I was thinking: Wrap three sheets of 703 in a natural fabric, and when I want to monitor, track, etc. in the room simply slap them inside the window recess.

I also thought this would work really well because these sheets would essentially be portable. When I didn't need to use them in the window, I could take them in my "vocal closet" for mass and some sound absorption qualities.

What do you (and anyone else) think?

However, does anyone happen to know how "flexible" sheets of 703 are? The window is actually measure about an inch or so under 72" wide (3x24), and measures 46.5" long (1.5" short of the 48" sheet).

I mean even nylon carpet (read dense fabric) would absorb highs and high mids and pass mids and lows.
Thats because it has thickness equal to 1/4 wavelengths of higher frequencies. Fabric has thickness equal to ULTRA high frequency 1/4 wavelengths, except they're higher than you can hear. :D
fitZ :)

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Thats because it has thickness equal to 1/4 wavelengths of higher frequencies. Fabric has thickness equal to ULTRA high frequency 1/4 wavelengths, except they're higher than you can hear. :D
fitZ :)
Ok. :confused: :D

So that being said, why would that be adventagous in this application than carpet? (or whatever, something thicker)

that reminds me.. APL, why did you bail on the discussion? :) You had a strong point going then bailed?

Back