Need advice on treatment + placement

Nutdotnet

So I'm using my bedroom as my primary recording area. It's a nice, fairly large, vaulted ceiling room. However, since this is also my bedroom I need to have my queen sized bed in there and my dresser.

Bedroom.jpg

Here are some very basic plans, the dimensions are close but not completley accurate. The bottom drawing is basically a cross-section showing the different sizes of the two walls.

There is also 72" x 48" Window smack dab in the middle of the wall near my bed. From it I can see the highway. While it's not feasible to me to completley soundproof that window I would like some suggestions to help damper it.

I'm currently getting some bass absorbers to put in the upper corners...and that's about it...any suggestions would be great.

I'm also looking for opinions/sugggestions on how I should actually layout my room. I'm open to pretty much anything....

Thanks!

Make good use of the angled ceiling by placing your monitoring station by the shorter wall so that sound will reflect above you. You can probably get by like that without ceiling treatment. also keep it centered between the side walls, symetry in monitoring is very important. Id say, at a minimum treat the corners and wall behind you monitors and the side walls at the first reflection point. Then the back wall and corners if you can.

Move the bed to the west wall, centered with your desk on the east wall.

Corner traps on either side of your desk, broadband absorbers on the wall above your desk and above your bed.

These would be a god starting point.

Your next goal would be some slot absorbers to break up the two prallel walls, north and south.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments, help, links, etc.

This is gonna be my mixing room, and performance room so I'm trying to utlize the space as best as possible for both.

Ptownkid: I understand the thinking behind puting the bed directly behind the desk on the west wall (for symmetry). However, like I said above, I also need to create as much open space as possible so I can easily set-up my mics, amps, etc...etc...

Here were a couple theories:

Keep my bed where it is now, but flip it so the longer side is parallel with the east wall. Then put my dresser along the north wall and have it face the end of the bed. Finally, center the desk along the west wall. This would open up some space in the center of the room.

OR

Flip locations between my bed and dresser and center my desk along the east wall (shorter wall in height).

Keep my bed where it is now, but flip it so the longer side is parallel with the east wall. Then put my dresser along the north wall and have it face the end of the bed. Finally, center the desk along the west wall. This would open up some space in the center of the room.

Thats what I would do if it was me.

VSpaceBoy said:
Thats what I would do if it was me.

Yeah, that was my initial thinking. The dresser will cover a portion of my closet (that entire north wall is a closet) but whatever... :D I'm a guy...guys don't need closets.

apl said:
Closets full of clothes make dandy semi-booths.

I understand that, the closet in my room isn't wide enough to do anything like that comfortably. I actually have a closet in my living room that is going to work perfect.

Nutdotnet said:
I understand that, the closet in my room isn't wide enough to do anything like that comfortably. I actually have a closet in my living room that is going to work perfect.

I may have misled before; I don’t record vox in the closet. I open up a closet (the wife’s side is usually the most packed), place the stand up against the clothes and face the mic into the room. The vocalist then sings toward the closet while standing comfortably in the bedroom. The clothes absorb a very large fraction of the sound and the reflections have a ways to go before they encounter the mic again. The bed and drapes soak up a good chunk of the energy that’s bouncing around the room, too. Then the reflections that hit the closet disappear. It's probably the deadest spot in the house that occurs without acoustic treatment.

Ahh, now that makes sense...sorry, I'm still a bit of a newb; even though I've been a part of this forum for a few years now.

I could actually use the other half of my closet for that...that would work.

Thanks!

Reactions: apl
So if I was planning on putting something behind my desk, on the walls, for absorption what should I use?

703...wrap it in fabric and hang it? Or that eggcrate looking foam? Both would come out to about the same price after everything is considered.

Nutdotnet said:
So if I was planning on putting something behind my desk, on the walls, for absorption what should I use?

703...wrap it in fabric and hang it? Or that eggcrate looking foam? Both would come out to about the same price after everything is considered.

I'd do the 703 in natural fabric so it's not as flammable, and if it does burn the fumes aren't as nasty. I'd space it off the wall by its thickness for a little bit lower effective frequency range. But really deal with the low end, which is where the real problems are, you'll need some traps.

See www.realtraps.com

apl said:
I'd do the 703 in natural fabric so it's not as flammable, and if it does burn the fumes aren't as nasty. I'd space it off the wall by its thickness for a little bit lower effective frequency range. But really deal with the low end, which is where the real problems are, you'll need some traps.

See www.realtraps.com

Thanks!

Yeah, I have some bass traps for my ceiling/wall connections coming in the next week. Should I get something where the floor meets the wall?

I'm doing as much research as I can, but a lot of it is above and beyond what I'm looking/wanting/willing to do.

In a natural fabric...care to give an example? I was just going to go to my local arts supply store and find something cheap and decent looking...

It's unlikely you'll have too much bass treatment.

By natural I mean cotton or linen or wool, as opposed to synthetics like polyester. The naturals are more fire resistant and the fumes not as noxious.

A good check for a fabric is that if you can easily breath through it, it'll pass sound waves.

Got it...so you're saying the more the better....

It just dawned on me what you meant by natural after I was doing more research...I swear, I'm normally not that dense. ;)

I'm gonna do some more research and post back here later with what I think I may do...

Thanks!

apl said:
A good check for a fabric is that if you can easily breath through it, it'll pass sound waves.

Interesting, where did you hear that? I understand the logic behind it but with that rational you could sound proof a room with aluminum foil. What negative effect would a thicker "non breathing" fabric have on sound waves?

VSpaceBoy said:
Interesting, where did you hear that? I understand the logic behind it but with that rational you could sound proof a room with aluminum foil. What negative effect would a thicker "non breathing" fabric have on sound waves?

Not so, grasshopper. The foil would be very reflective, and allow mid and lows to be somewhat transmitted. Also the tighter fabrics.

I'm in a professional field that is very closely related to acoustics.

Back