National service - thoughts?

I agree, but as is usual, ignorant tax payers simply pay taxes, and never ever follow the money trail, or where the money trails lead.
I can tell you where half of it leads..into peoples pockets, a good portion of the rest of it goes to the DOD.

Collusion between the State and the school.
Unbeknownst to tax payers, the State is using taxpayer dollars to do what they do best. Defraud.
~shrug~

If there's a proven track record that it works, with a low rate of recidivism, the attendees lead a straight life thereafter I wouldn't have a problem with my tax dollars going toward it assuming the school isn't using the money for scammy expenditures beyond the scope of what it's supposed to be for or other shadiness going on - if there is that's another story. Hopefully there's a stringent auditing and review process in place. And if there isn't obviously that's a problem.

Here are a couple concepts that might be controversial but I like em. First all new voter registration is denied to anyone who has not completed the 2 year service component. An exemption should be made for newly naturalized citizens. Also no government positions whether elected or appointed to anyone who is not registered to vote. Over time the old guard will shuffle on into the sunset and a new cadre of educated, empowered and hopefully patriotically inspired citizens will control their own future.
Wow! I can't believe what I'm reading. You appear to be quite comfortable to eliminate the rights of my greatgrand children to vote in the future, simply because they might just choose not to serve 2 years of servitude.

The old guard? Whom would that might be?

I can tell you where half of it leads..into peoples pockets, a good portion of the rest of it goes to the DOD.
Ok, I'll bite and ask the obvious question. Other than the DOD, into who's pockets and off shore accounts simply disappear? Just like that! It's impossible to trace.
Years ago, Woodward and Bernstein followed the money trail.
That was then.

Regardless of the fact that Joe Kennedy spent huge amounts of $$$ in Chicago to ensure it that votes would swing in favor of his son to win. That election was contested, not that it mattered. Swept under the rug.

~shrug~

If there's a proven track record that it works, with a low rate of recidivism, the attendees lead a straight life thereafter I wouldn't have a problem with my tax dollars going toward it assuming the school isn't using the money for scammy expenditures beyond the scope of what it's supposed to be for or other shadiness going on - if there is that's another story. Hopefully there's a stringent auditing and review process in place. And if there isn't obviously that's a problem.
I concur. I only know what I have heard through hearsay about collusion. Other than that, keeping my mouth shut would be my best option in the future.

Wow! I can't believe what I'm reading. You appear to be quite comfortable to eliminate the rights of my greatgrand children to vote in the future, simply because they might just choose not to serve 2 years of servitude.

The old guard? Whom would that might be?
No elimination of rights already granted. Rather a requirement for earning certain rights going forward for those who become eligible.

The "old guard" in this context would be the entrenched elite. Ivy Leaguers, captains of industry, politicians. Those who help themselves first and their country second if at all. It will be the work of a generation but if you can't be elected or appointed you can't make rules and pass laws that perpetuate the tilted and unrepresentative status quo. These people don't serve us. They use us, exploit our resources and make war on us. If the planet has a future we will not be best served by allowing them to determine the direction we take to get there.

brassplyer said:
~shrug~

I concur. I only know what I have heard through hearsay about collusion. Other than that, keeping my mouth shut would be my best option in the future.
So your original comment was based on the notion that something scammy *is* going on - I thought maybe you just didn't like taxpayer money funding such a program. I'd never even been aware of such an arrangement previously, I'll have to look into it. There unfortunately is a predisposition among many to commit fraud whenever there's an opportunity.

No elimination of rights already granted. Rather a requirement for earning certain rights going forward for those who become eligible.

But if Rights are ‘granted’ to begin with, and ‘ ‘earning certain rights’......

They’re not rights at all but privileges given out by the governing body.

No offense, but I’m not buying your plans.

But if Rights are ‘granted’ to begin with, and ‘ ‘earning certain rights’......

They’re not rights at all but privileges given out by the governing body.

No offense, but I’m not buying your plans.
Is the right to remain silent a privilege to be dispensed? I think not. However I agree with the concept of the franchise being a privilege to be earned. That was poorly worded on my part. I was using the phrasing of another in my reply to his question. What I was trying to explain was that my concept would be implemented over time. The privilege of voting would only be newly granted to graduates of the National Service Act as opposed to everyone as they reached their 18th birthday. All those who registered to vote prior to implementation of the Act would retain that privilege. Over time those citizens granted the privilege of voting, and holding public office or appointment, would naturally become those same citizens who have already contributed to the well-being of the nation and are invested in the process.

It may just be celestial pastry but you gotta believe...

JFK proposed a similar such project with the peace corps.

All this is essentially nationalism in action. Yet some are always saying nationalism is bad??

A voluntary program like this wouldn’t be a bad thing me thinks.
As long as it isn't this
Here are a couple concepts that might be controversial but I like em. First all new voter registration is denied to anyone who has not completed the 2 year service component. An exemption should be made for newly naturalized citizens. Also no government positions whether elected or appointed to anyone who is not registered to vote. Over time the old guard will shuffle on into the sunset and a new cadre of educated, empowered and hopefully patriotically inspired citizens will control their own future.

Reactions: RFR
First all new voter registration is denied to anyone who has not completed the 2 year service component.
If anything, voter registration should be denied to anyone who doesn't have kids (i.e., an actual stake in the future of the country), not based on an arbitrary number of years spent in more-or-less useful government initiatives.
An exemption should be made for newly naturalized citizens.
Not those allowed in by Biden's admin, and in general, not for anyone not born here.
Also no government positions whether elected or appointed to anyone who is not registered to vote.
I don't know of this ever having happened?
Over time the old guard will shuffle on into the sunset and a new cadre of educated, empowered and hopefully patriotically inspired citizens will control their own future.
Sure. But we're counting on luck at this point.

Back