National service - thoughts?

I think it's an excellent idea. I would add a few features, throw a little Starship Trooper angle at it. Mandatory civics education in first six months completion of which (no testing) gets you the franchise. College education at the State Uni of your choice after 2 year term. Guaranteed job placement with or without college component.

Here are a couple concepts that might be controversial but I like em. First all new voter registration is denied to anyone who has not completed the 2 year service component. An exemption should be made for newly naturalized citizens. Also no government positions whether elected or appointed to anyone who is not registered to vote. Over time the old guard will shuffle on into the sunset and a new cadre of educated, empowered and hopefully patriotically inspired citizens will control their own future.

I have been championing that for years. It would at least force us to speak with one another. I was drafted, or about to be so I joined the USAF, that is a type of national service whether I wanted to do it or not.

I wonder if you can work in incentives to do service in the more critical industries where there are labor shortages to get people interested in those career fields.

Compulsory national service, as in do it or you go to jail? I'm sure Adolph Hitler would heartily approve.

Hell no.

I can only imagine the bullshit leftist projects they'd be involved in, the incompetent management and the mountain of unanticipated problems that would arise.

Envisioning the outrage when black people are *ordered* to work on agriculture projects by Democrats...again. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
JFK proposed a similar such project with the peace corps.

All this is essentially nationalism in action. Yet some are always saying nationalism is bad??

A voluntary program like this wouldn’t be a bad thing me thinks.

Truck drivers.
I live three miles away from a major trailer truck driving school. The majority of students there are recent parolees from prison. The State pays their tuition costs. It's a win situation for the driving school. Overall, it's a scam, at taxpayer expense.

It’s ain’t what you say, it’s what you do.
True, but having a sense of pride in one’s country and contributing to the well being of it, isn’t a bad thing.

I’m proud of my kid’s basketball team and help raise money for equipment, uniforms etc.

Nationalism is the same thing just on a larger scale.

But often times people don’t give a shit about anything than their own well being.

That’s a problem, personal desires gratified at the expense of others.

Last edited:
I live three miles away from a major trailer truck driving school. The majority of students there are recent parolees from prison. The State pays their tuition costs. It's a win situation for the driving school. Overall, it's a scam, at taxpayer expense.
If they never return to prison the taxpayers have got there moneys worth.

What makes it a scam?

Back