Nady ribbon

I check it everyday at about 4:30 am.....I have been thinking about it all day and wondering if Mr. Joly could do anything with it.....

I emailed him about it and apparently he ordered one for "research" which I bet means give him a little time with it and he'll have a mod for it. :)

Cool....I went ahead and ordered one....I see they are sold out now....maybe I got the last one.... :)

nice. i picked up one too-- it's not much more than their blowout price on the rsm-4, it seems (if you can believe their specs) to have a better ribbon (thinner) and it comes with a shockmount and spiffy wooden box.
i'm sending mine to michael joly as soon as he offers a mod for it (provided that he does eventually) :)
should make a nice complement to my karma ribbon

I'm pretty sure those are Alctron stock hardware. The best mod you can do to most of those Chinese ribbons is replace the transformer with something more open. I personally prefer the sound of the Lundahl transformers, though some people like a little less high frequency response and go for the Cinemag. My attitude is that I can always get rid of it with EQ, but I can't put back what isn't there. :)

The thinner ribbon ought to sound better than the other Alctron ribbons. I note with amusement that all the mics in the group buy appear to be very similar to most of Nady's other mics (except for this one), but with the better 2 micron ribbons. :D You'll be happy with the RSM-5. It should have a nice character.

Im still considering the RSM-4 as well for the mod. It is currently on back order. I have never used any Nady mics and was really hesitant to go for this one....but I dont have any ribbon mics at all and thought that at that price, I cant loose too much...

the Cascade and the Nady are virtually the same mic to my understanding....I dont really care about the shockmount. The Nady is $80 without the shockmount...and the Cascade is $160....thats a pretty expensive shockmount...

Man, that is pretty cheap..

Well I got a Trion 7000 for $160 and it kicks the pants off the Nady, Oktava ML-52 and the THomann RB500. It is amazing on guitar cabs/brass and I love it on vocals through my Langevin DVC.
Sorry for going on about this mic but it really is the cats jammies and will do me till I get those Royers!

I wonder if this will be a problem with the RSM-5's as well? Hope not...

Mr. Joly, let us know how the research goes with those as well....Id also be happy to loan you mine to use as a guinea pig.... :p

Man I feel dumb. I've been sitting here wondering what kind of mods you guys would be doing to a guitar. Then you start talking about sagging ribbons.:confused:

yea...guess if you just read the first post and looked at the link.....you would see a guitar.....

Note to new commers......

This thread is about the Nady RSM-5 Ribbon mic which used to be a STUPID DEAL OF THE DAY....

Look out for the sagging ribbons! In the past three days I've repaired and upgraded five Chinese ribbon mics - all of them have had ribbons sagging out of the magnetic gap. Here's some pix:

http://www.hometracked.com/2007/08/28/ribbon-mic-sag-and-repair/

I used to think only 30% of these mics had ribbon tension problems, with this week's batch I'm thinking its a lot higher.

Never having owned a ribbon mic before, how would I know if this was the case? Would it be completely nonfunctional or would it sound like ass? Would I immediately know that the ass sound wasn't just due to it being a cheap Nady?? :confused:

Last edited:
The first thing to do with a Chinese ribbon mic is to listen in headphones and test for a slack ribbon.

Just rock the mic mic back and forth slowly - bring one face of the mic parallel to the floor, return upright and bring it back down parallel to the floor on the other side. Do this a couple of times. The idea is to allow gravity to pull the ribbon. In a mic with a severely slack ribbon, you will hear a sudden "clang" or "clunk" as the ribbon (which is often bent into an "U" or "S" shape because it so slack - see pictures at the link I posted above) suddenly shifts position.

If you can rock the mic back and forth slowly and don't hear a sudden metallic sound, the ribbon is not excessively loose and probably has adequate tension.

If a mic with a very slack ribbon is placed in front of a sound source for recording the output will be very low and probably distorted at high levels.

Last edited:
The first thing to do with a Chinese ribbon mic is to listen in headphones and test for a slack ribbon.

Just rock the mic mic back and forth slowly - bring one face of the mic parallel to the floor, return upright and bring it back down parallel to the floor on the other side. Do this a couple of times. The idea is to allow gravity to pull the ribbon. In a mic with a severely slack ribbon, you will hear a sudden "clang" or "clunk" as the ribbon (which is often bent into an "U" or "S" shape because it so slack - see pictures at the link I posted above) suddenly shifts position.

If you can rock the mic back and forth slowly and don't hear a sudden metallic sound, the ribbon is not excessively loose and probably has adequate tension.

If a mic with a very slack ribbon is placed in front of a sound source for recording the output will be very low and probably distorted at high levels.
That'll be easy enough to set up.

Thanks very much for that reply, and I'm sure that post will benefit more people than just me. :cool:

Back