my studio

Foo-bu

I just wanted to share some pics of my studio with you guys. I often drool over pics of yours so its my turn to try to make you salivate :)

I finally got the time to put together some sound absorbers to control my room. So far they've been doing a pretty good job. I think i've done a decent job of positioning them but if there's any suggestions, i'm all ears

Here you go:

n290600120_973099_9392.jpg

n290600120_973101_9860.jpg

n290600120_973113_7074.jpg

n290600120_973103_379.jpg

n290600120_973104_617.jpg

n290600120_973105_852.jpg

n290600120_973107_1318.jpg

n290600120_973108_1556.jpg

n290600120_973110_2055.jpg

n290600120_973098_9139.jpg

me and my grandfather working on the baffles

there you have it. Let me know what you think.

Looking good. Hey, how do you like those Joe Meek pieces in your rack. I was thinking about buying some of their pres, but haven't heard enough about them from actual owners. Thanks.

the meeks are alright. They're limited in how much you can control them (at least these models are). I find it frustrating not knowing how much gain reduction I have with the compressors since all I have to reference is a little light that flashes brighter depending on how much its compressing. They're fairly clean unless you crank them in which case they have some noise.

if i replace any of my pres, the meeks will be the first to go. That being said, I really like them for recording bass. they're nice and warm for that

Hope that helps

Hey looking good. If you get a chance I should would like to know your technigue on the self built baffles. I am in the process of moving my studio to my house(I spent way too much time away from home) And so your setup is close to what I'm doing except I have a couple of extra rooms to work with, but wow yours is looking nice. Thanks for the pics.

for the baffles, i made frames out of pine, bought some roxul safe and sound and then wrapped it in speakercloth. There's not really a whole lot to it other than making sure the dimensions of your frame allow for the fiberglass to fit inside properly. the majority of my frames were made using 47inch long 1x3s and then adding a 25 inch 1x3 so that i could fit the fiberglass sheets which were 47x23. All in all i'd say i spent around $200 on all the materials and i made 9 frames (4 that were 49x25, 2 that were 49x13, 2 49x14, one 49x48). To hang them i used d-rings on the backs and hung them with screws

hope that helps

Lookin' good! I actually have that same desk. One question...maybe my perception is off, but it looks like the monitors are facing the long wall. Shouldn't they be firing down the length of the room? Also, what monitors are those? (actually that was 2 questions)

Nice work! I second what Webb mentioned about firing your monitors down the length of your room, not the width. Very neat and tidy, I like that!
How is the bass transposing in your mixes? I would suggest maybe some bass traps across your corners. I do see however that some of your corners have doors up to them, in which case the ceiling - wall corners would be the next best option.

Thanx for sharing Foo-bu :)

i've got plans to move the monitors facing the room but due to the way my room/desk is currently set up, i can't really do it too well. Once i move stuff around or I leave my parents place i'll have it exactly how i want.

I unfortunately have a lot of little corners to fill. when i start getting some cash i'm gonna make a bunch of little corner traps. I find that right now, the bass in my mixes transposes really well though. I think I've just gotten used to how my monitors sound and know what to look out for. although a new set of monitors is also in my cards....*sigh* my want list never ends

as for the monitors I currently have, they are Yorkville YSM1s

I finally got the time to put together some sound absorbers to control my room. So far they've been doing a pretty good job. I think i've done a decent job of positioning them but if there's any suggestions, i'm all ears
You've got none in your first reflection points, or your corners, which means they could be a whole lot better. You've also got loads of space on your left, but a wall on your right, which means you won't have a very good stereo image. You want to have your mixing position center along the shortest wall. Also, set your speakers up vertically...

You're gear/place(how I'd love to have that room) looks nice, and you did have me salivate over it. I just though the acoustics could be improved.

So I've drawn roughly what you have now, and then what I think you could do to improve it:

Attachments

• foo-bu.GIF
    foo-bu.GIF
    5.4 KB · Views: 110
  • foo-bu better2.GIF
    foo-bu better2.GIF
    6.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
wow thanks for those sketches. they're pretty much my room exactly. They offer very good suggestions that i didn't even consider before.

A question though... with the room as you have drawn, is there an optimum way for the instruments to face while recording them? I'm a drummer so I often have my kit facing the double doors (which is why I have the baffles on the back of the doors and the wall behind them to kill off reflections.

Also, I didn't take a picture of it but i guess its something to condsider when tracking or mixing but I also have a mobile baffle that is twice the size of the big ones i have on the walls now. I was thinking that in the current position i have all my stuff in, I could place it behind my keyboard to make a box around the kit....not quite sure if this would help. and since the baffles on the wall are just hanging off of screws i was thinking of taking off a baffle when mixing and placing it above my couch where its at now so thati'd have absorbtion behind and in front of my speakers.......would any of this even help?

I'm just trying to figure out my alternatives

Thanks for the suggestions though i'm going to have to play around with them

keep the ideas coming :)

btw, the bookshelf doesn't come apart :P

wow thanks for those sketches. they're pretty much my room exactly. They offer very good suggestions that i didn't even consider before.

A question though... with the room as you have drawn, is there an optimum way for the instruments to face while recording them? I'm a drummer so I often have my kit facing the double doors (which is why I have the baffles on the back of the doors and the wall behind them to kill off reflections.

Also, I didn't take a picture of it but i guess its something to condsider when tracking or mixing but I also have a mobile baffle that is twice the size of the big ones i have on the walls now. I was thinking that in the current position i have all my stuff in, I could place it behind my keyboard to make a box around the kit....not quite sure if this would help. and since the baffles on the wall are just hanging off of screws i was thinking of taking off a baffle when mixing and placing it above my couch where its at now so thati'd have absorbtion behind and in front of my speakers.......would any of this even help?

I'm just trying to figure out my alternatives

Thanks for the suggestions though i'm going to have to play around with them

Well you want to first treat the bass(corners), then the side(and ceiling) first reflection points, then the back wall.

I don't think it matters much where you face, as the sound goes in all directions. You could put the large panel infront of the double doors, or on the wall opposite them(when tracking). The sofa should absorb a bit too. Btw what's behind the double doors? If it's a closet open the doors when tracking and the clothes should absorb well, and have the large panel across from it. Then face either the back wall, or the mixing position. As long as you stay away from a corner, anything should be fine though.

Absorption behind the speakers is not a priority. You're better off treating the corners and first reflection points(incl. back wall) before you treat behind the speakers, imo.

It is cool to have a closet in the room. Is there close in it or is it empty? If empty fill it with clothes or something soft. Then put an absorber on the inside of each door. When recording drums open the closet up with the doors angled out from the wall abit. Set your drumset up facing out of the closet. The closet will absorb reflection going back into the mics. You could get a couple of office deviders or make some bigger free standing absorbers and put them around your drums for more isolation. Like this little diagram I did.:D

Drumsetup.jpg

You may have to angle the drums a little different because of the wall on the one side. But this is just an idea.

Last edited:
Hoops that offers almost no isolation. I don't really think isolation is needed.

This is my suggestion:

Attachments

• foo-bu better(drums).GIF
    foo-bu better(drums).GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 86
the double doors actually lead to a wide open basement which is actually quite noisey due to a furnace and open staircase leading upstairs to a very yappy dog.

The small door however is a closet full of a bunch of clothes and other shelves and junk.

Hoops that offers almost no isolation. I don't really think isolation is needed.

This is my suggestion:

I wasn't suggesting it for isolation but for if the room is to reflective.;) But seeing it is a doorway to a room not a closet then that won't work.:(

I wasn't suggesting it for isolation but for if the room is to reflective.;) But seeing it is a doorway to a room not a closet then that won't work.:(
"put them around your drums for more isolation". But yeah, you meant absorption.

Back