My Studio Build...such as it is....

Sky Blue Lou

Nowhere near as advanced as what some have done. I'm basically taking over my daughter's bedroom (she lives with her mom). It's 10X20. Used to be two separate rooms but we combined them for her about five years ago. Took me a week to hoe all her shit out of there - still have to move her trophy shelf to mom's house.

Anyway - Pergo floor. 3 windows (or 4 actually). Big closet at one end and built-in shelving on the side of the other end.

Some before pics.

I plugged the windows with 3/8 sheetrock. Felt weatherstripping around the edges to snug it up. (Note the advanced duct tape fastening system.) Had to shim the big window - it's 49" tall! Nice tight fit. A couple of strategically placed screws as stops keeps 'em from falling out but they are not fastened in place.

I made strapping frames to fit the spaces and an extra for opposite the small window. Those will be first reflection points as the desk will face the closet.

Bass traps for the corners. These are superchunks with a twist. Either size triangle is too large for two of the corners so I went with squares. They have 24" of surface width which is the same as the smaller standard triangle and bass don't care. I had to make a platform in one corner to clear the radiator and the diagonally opposite corner is the bookcase variation.

Last edited:
That's all for now. I have to pick up more felt tomorrow (bought all they had last week) to finish the corners and then I'll get going on the panels and cloud. Gotta build a couple more frames yet but we're getting there.

lou

Good job Sky, keep up the good work! Also remember that felt is made from used feels........so wear gloves....

Windows Done and 1st RP

Finished the window panels today and the panel for opposite the first window. Got shut out on used feels yesterday so the corners aren't done yet. :mad: This week. Tonight I may build the cloud. Hanging it I'm not so sure. Couple more beers may help. :drunk: Molly's no use - she don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

Cloud

4'x6'x4" about 3"-4" off the ceiling. I have chain to lower it but the links don't fit on the hooks. :mad: I'll try it at this height before I go buy more chain.

That's enough for today. 4" bass trap panels are next; 3 for the front wall, 2 for the rear. Then 2 more 2" side wall panels and I'll start bringing equipment in.

A desk is good. None of what I'm doing is hard or "advanced". Good thing - I am a wood butcher and horrible craftsman. My edges aren't real neat and these panels would never pass QC at Realtraps - but - they have the right stuff in 'em and I'm not fussy just frugal. If you look at any of the pro room kits they run well over a grand. I'll get this whole project done for $700 or so - I'm not really keeping a close accounting but that's what I had to start and I've still got some left!

lou

looks cool lou. Like buzzard, it's way better than what I have. I don't even have a desk ...... I just balance my mixer on whatever amps I have that are almost the same height.
:D

My desk was, actually, free, but it works, just had to figure how to put it together.

Lou, love the pic of Molly, she's looking straight at you saying what only a pet can say: I love my Daddy, and my Daddy loves me.

Very cool Lou :drunk:

Pretty creative on the super chunks. Especially the book shelf one. When I first saw that book shelf, I wondered what you had in mind there. Cool.

I think you're gonna notice a difference in there if ya haven't already. I'm thinkin you have. When I first trapped and treated, I could tell a diff just by walkin in.

Keep the pics rollin man. ;)

Thanks guys. I definitely hear a difference already. Much more tame. There is still some ring in the clap and shout test but I have 7-10 or more panels to go. I'm starting to get antsy now - I want to move my shit in and let her rip but I work a full day and only have so much left in the evenings. Molly's not a hard ass - she don't care if I work on it or not.

lou

Back