My rent house has no earth ground

Beck said:

This is one bad joke at best - and stupid advice at worse.

Remember one thing - the NEC is a set of MINIMUM STANDARDS intended to protect human life and personal property.

You can go ahead and hook up the ground to the cold water pipe for your shower on the other side of that den wall if you want.... but don't be either surprised or upset if power goes to ground while your child is taking a shower - and they end up being the "path of least resistence".

People - use professional electrician when dealing with this - a leaky pipe is one thing - electricity is very VERY dangerous to play with.

Rod

By the way - i deal with this on a regular basis in my life - c7 present himself as an electrician - based on the knowledge he has - I personally believe it.

frederic said:
Hey Rod, thanks for the comments. '

You're welcome - just being honest though.

Just curious, whereabouts in CT are ya (county is fine if you don't want to share too much details...)

Hell - details don't bother me - people could find me just because they have my real name.

I live in the northeast corner of the state - a little town called central village.......... but i've worked as far out as Danbury - and am now on a project in Hartford called Adreian's Landing.

Its annoying when politicians write what should be an engineering manual. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

LMAO -mine too.....

Rod

By the way - i deal with this on a regular basis in my life - c7 present himself as an electrician - based on the knowledge he has - I personally believe it. [/B]

I used to be... way back in the late 80's, so I'm very rusty. But, glad to be out of that situation entirely.

But no matter what I do for a living, or hobby, I seem to be followed by darwinians.

Ever see a guy cut the tank straps off a classic car with a oxy/acl torch? :mad:

You're welcome - just being honest though.

Regardless as to whether I'm (in)correct or not, I appreciate the comments. I'm long out of the electrical contracting business.

Hell - details don't bother me - people could find me just because they have my real name.

You are on the internet, thats for sure :)

I live in the northeast corner of the state - a little town called central village.......... but i've worked as far out as Danbury - and am now on a project in Hartford called Adreian's Landing.

Okay, gotcha. Waaaaay up there :)

LMAO -mine too.....

Bet you didn't know the "art of racing engineering" is the "art of twisting the rulebook into a pretzal" :D

Works with racing, not with electricity.

residential 240 is amazingly similar to balanced audio, you have two hots leads that the sinewave is passed.

Ok frederic, I couldn't resist, even though I know this isn't the damn NEC.:D Not being an electrician, I don't know the exact terminology, but IF each hot lead is 180 degrees out of phase in relationship to the other, and there is no neutral used at a 240v single phase motor, AND, the current is alternating, is each hot acting as a neutral when it is at negative voltage?(or whatever the term is, you know)
I don't understand this concept. You already know what I DO understand. But this is confusing.

In fact, when current alternates, isn't the neutral hot 60 times a second? This is also a paradox to me. Please clarify if its simple. If not, I'll try and find an explanation on the net. Well, maybe not, I already did and could not find a single explanation. What is "hot"? Isn't that when the voltage is positive. And if current "alternates" it is hot in both directions, 60 times a second isn't it?

Oh, btw, the first link to "alternating current" on the net, said "find it at EBAY"! hahaha!

Thanks

fitZ:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. I will observe everything on the eletrical box do some eletrical testing with a meter. and report back to yall.

btw you guys confused the heck out of me!

Back