My Garage Live Room Build.

orksnork

So...we've been tinkering....doing the electric, getting the clouds built, and putting the door in. Finally, today, all of the rockwool, sheetrock, and 703 for the treatments arrive. And we build. Oh yes, we build.

First we start with a dirty old nasty garage. We remove the track for the sliding door, affix it to the house, and frame out the new wall.

1.jpg

next, we take our lovely rock wool and we fill up dem derrr walls!

2.jpg

when building a room for recording purposes, it's essential to treat it to have acoustically accurate and pleasing sound. for this, we buy rigid fiberglass...by the palate...

3.jpg

more updates throughout the day, and through the end of the process...
layer 1, 5/8" gypsum almost complete....pictures then....
then the second layer of 1/2"

First Layer of rock up

4.jpg

Starting second layer...Wave hi to Malcolm (soon to be father in law...he makes sure we don't hack up the whole job!

5.jpg

we'll finish this up soon enough....then we use some acoustic caulk, a bit of spackle....then we're ready to prime and paint!!!

then we can finally hang the clouds (already have been hung and adjusted for height and whatnot, moved em so they don't get banged up)

and then! the hardwood! and then! make the acoustic treatments and huzzah!

actual room size is 22 x 12

all those wires sticking out....there's 9 surface mounted outlet boxes in the room, each with 4 outlets...

lotsa power!

I hate to jump in when you're on the second sheetrock layer . . . but do you only have one exit from the room? It's maybe not required in a utility room, but it's nice to have two ways out . . . I would have considered replacing the garage door with an exterior door, and hanging a second exterior door on your new wall, for access with isolation.

You might also want to consider using the space between the garage and the new wall for mounting monitors in-wall.

MSH: no need for in wall monitors...perhaps you skimmed over the title, this is just the live room :)

Mrhotapples 0_o: materials...uh uh uh...

well...

the room was 24 x 12 and we cut it down to 22 x 12...

I spent 1108 + tax + 15 for delivery for

20 boards of 5/8" - 11.84/unit
20 boards of 1/4" - 10.73/unit
7 bails of the 16" thermafiber (the bails have quite a lot of square footage, the whole room only took about 5 1/2) - 28/unit
3 bails of 24" thermafiber (this was used for the peak of the roof, above the ceiling) - 33/unit
7 boxes of 703 2" rigid fiberglass (each box contains 10 pieces, 2x4) 50/unit

all in all, it was a pretty good deal compared to the price of many of the places i've checked out....

of course that doesn't include electrical supplies, lighting supplies for the clouds, the wood for the clouds, the hardwood, fabric for the treatments, screws, screws, screws, caulk, etc...

also, we didnt get around to finishing the second layer of sheetrock....12 hours straight of working and we were fairly beat.

damn my body hurts...im only 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery...and ive been sitting on my ass for 6 months....

fucking manual labor

the hardwood is sort of a medium oak...while the walls are going to be aurora orange (ceiling staying white)...

the clouds frames will stay original wood color, and then the insulation in them, as well as all of the broadband absorbers and bass traps will be wrapped in a reddish type of situation...still have to pick all the fabric up though...

it will look quite swanky :D

Thanks a bunch:D I've been waiting to do this since last summer. Had to finish the basement first...

Unfortunately, I can't really do the heavy lifting myself (as i said, 2 1/2 weeks out of spine surgery) so I've gotta wait until next weekend to get my makeshift crew back.

Saturday, we'll absolutely finish off the rest of the rock, caulk where needed, and hopefully get the first layer of spackle up.

Then it's really the home stretch. Priming and painting should take an evening. Hardwood should only take a day or so. Hanging the clouds (as I've said, they're all lined up and what have you, hooks in the ceiling) is a 20 minute process...

Getting so close.

Wait till it's all done. You'll be drunk with power over your new domain. Lord of all you survey. Mr Scott, full power please. :D

absolutely. in my mind it looks totally beautiful. i love brand new construction and i think the color scheme with the wood is gonna be so swank.

i'll probably ask the woman to pull our bed in there for the first few weeks :PP

so anyways....im still kind of wonky on what exactly i'm going to be doing as far as treating...

ideally, i'd like to get some hot drum sounds (as hot as i can out of this size room)...

i've got a good deal of 703 to work with for absorption, and can do what i have to as far as diffusion and what not...

all i'm really set on right now is 4" bass traps straddling two foot wide in the corners, from ceiling to floor....

that leaves tons (as you can see, i've got a pallet full)...

i'm going to make some movable baffles so i can tame things as i please (e.g. vocals, etc)...

What I'm thinking is for the long walls (22ish x 8.25 ft) going with 7 2'x4' 2" broadband absorbers, hung an inch of the wall.

they'll be hung like

O O O O
O O O

up down up down....then on the other wall, they'll be hung opposite...
photoshop is messing up on this computer, ill draw up what i mean tomorrow on the other one...still not sure about diffusers...or what i'm gonna do on the short walls...

what i attempted didn't come out right

those are supposed to be offset....so one is up high, then a foot space, one down low, a foot space, one up high...etc

and as far as getting help on this...
i've been posting on john sayers forum, but the cats over there seem to be very enthusiastically avoiding the thread....been asking ideas about the treatment and hvac for weeks with very little in the way of responses...

Back