Muttley, Advice if You Please

Sounds good, Mutt. :)

Last night I got out my pocketknife and had a scrape at the sides of the frets. They're loaded with poly. When I come due for a string change I'm going to get the frets as clean as possible. Maybe that will help a little.

Thats normal. I wouldn't worry about the edge of the fret it's the top of them obviously. If ever you get it taken in for a setup the guy should have one of these to take care of that.

I have a bunch of them with different grades of file and angles..You can use a fine cut file very lightly to knock off the polish but be careful to work from the back of the neck so you don't chip out lacquer on the neck. Go slow.

Hey Zaph. We've three Teles here, all w/Maple necks. I couldn't tell you how they're finished as up until now, I hadn't really thought about it in detail! I'm going to echo Multi's sentiments though; I find the maple necks more 'responsive' and that all the frets were subject to a thin coat of lacquer (easily removed with the scrape of a nail, though not a big deal I'm sure).

If you want, I'd be happy to play in that guitar for you, its no trouble, honest.

Hey Zaph. We've three Teles here, all w/Maple necks. I couldn't tell you how they're finished as up until now, I hadn't really thought about it in detail! I'm going to echo Multi's sentiments though; I find the maple necks more 'responsive' and that all the frets were subject to a thin coat of lacquer (easily removed with the scrape of a nail, though not a big deal I'm sure).

If you want, I'd be happy to play in that guitar for you, its no trouble, honest.

Thanks for the input, Telepaul. I appreciate the offer, too, and I promise to consider it carefully.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

How about investing in a set of replacement tuners that have staggered post heights (i.e. Sperzels or similar)?

Back