Mr8-usb-pc Help Please!

Monsterpop

Heres the thing,,, i thought i would try hooking it up to the pc via the USB socket. SO i did,,,,,and had just tracks 7 and 8 to get onto the pc somehow.
So i did,,,and opened them up in N TRacks,,only to discover that only about 3 quarters of each track were there. Its al complete when i play it on the MR8, but when it gets to the pc theres some of it missing.
what the hells goin on? bearing in mind,,,im less than expert in these matters.
PLEASE somebody help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Refresh my memory... you are using Wavmanager from the Fostex site... right?

I'm pretty sure I asked you this once before...
And your OS is post-win98?
What CF card are you using?

It plays fine on the MR8, but not on your software, right...? What software are you using?

You've tried bouncing it transfering tracks more than once, using wavmanager, and get identical results?

That's wierd...

(Automated voice) Please stay on the line and the next available representative will be with you shortly......

mr8 etc

hi

i didnt bother with the Wav Manager,,,
cos i thought i could just use it straight onto N TRacks?
Im using WIndows XP Pro.
I can play the finished ,mixed tracks on 7 and 8 on the MR8,,but when i move it onto the pc,,,open it using N Tracks,,,,part of the two files just aint there
its very frustrating indeed. i only thought id try doin it thi sway,,,cos what i usually do is record it from the stereo outs onto Mini Dsic when its done.
bloody pcs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Monsterpop said:
hi

i didnt bother with the Wav Manager,,,
cos i thought i could just use it straight onto N TRacks?
Im using WIndows XP Pro.
I can play the finished ,mixed tracks on 7 and 8 on the MR8,,but when i move it onto the pc,,,open it using N Tracks,,,,part of the two files just aint there
its very frustrating indeed. i only thought id try doin it thi sway,,,cos what i usually do is record it from the stereo outs onto Mini Dsic when its done.
bloody pcs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Use the wave manager. That's what it is designed for. It provides a stable interface for you to load your tracks on the pc. If you just pull them off the mr8 without it, you can expect the results you got. You may want to look at the cf card too. I have pulled files off by going into the drive assigned to the mr8 when I hook it up with the usb and had no problems moving them to a folder to edit. Your card may not be compatible. Have you upgraded the mr8 software off the Fostex site yet? I am guessing that since you don't use the wave manager, you probably didn't. It's free, you should do it.

n tracks

after the wav manager, at the end of the wav file in n track, click on the end of the track and drag it to the right, the rest of the track will appear, for some reason this happens to me all the time the informatin is there, just need to grap the end bar and drag it as far as it will go....

Last edited:
tracks 7 and 8

do not mix down to 7 and 8 like this, you are defeating the purpose of mixing on the pc, if you have already bounced down on the mr8, record your tracks, import one at a time to n track and mix down to a single mono wav, but dont save it, leave the tracks as they are in n track...use the mixed down file to import back to mr8 on track one, add more tracks and repeat....

if you bounce down and find the vocals arent strong enough or there is too much bass or whatever, you cant fix it, this is the whole point of MIXING on the pc and not the mr8....

i just dont understand this convoluted way of doing things.
why not just record on the pc to start with. ??
unless i'm missing something.

manning1 said:
i just dont understand this convoluted way of doing things.
why not just record on the pc to start with. ??
unless i'm missing something.

Well duuuuhhhhh!!!!! :eek:
Because we have the MR8 dude!!! :D

This has been brought up around here many times before. For me it was because I didn't want to deal with latency, I didn't want to have to boot up my computer everytime I had a rough idea I wanted to "jot down", and the MR8 is red. :D :rolleyes:

record on the pc

man its a pain in the ***, as i have said before, download a demo version of n track or whatever, and try it, just getting the sound card setings right are a real pain, then there is the latency issues, then you still need to buy a interface, and those arent cheap either,

besides, we all bought this thing, then found about its limitatins, and have to adjust and compensate for that, and it takes alot of pc power to record to the pc

lots of people do it and have great success... too much bother for me...

and it really is red.....

Both my MR8 and my laptop are portable... My laptop does a great job mixing, but I don't have all the required peripherals to record directly to it... That's where the MR8 comes in... Plus, the laptop looked really stupid and stopped working when I painted it red...

:cool:

going back the the original post, I am also having this problem. Kinda. I have used the mr-8 for about 2 years now, and it has worked perfectly, but just recently it started acting up.

I am using wav manager, but when I transfer all the tracks, and open them up, it skips after about 2:37 of music. It plays fine on the mr-8, but somehting gets screwed with the usb transfer. anyone have any ideas?

It does this on all of the tracks 1-8, all at the same time, even if i open them with windows media player, real player, and musicmatch jukebox.

usb

have you tried a card reader, man that sucks after all that time to get a new problem, shuoldnt reallymake a difference but worth a shot for 10 or 12 dollars... also maybe a new usb cable....

tried and tried, i think it is something wrong with what it writes to the card??? idk, this sucks

.......................yes, its red :eek:

notbrad

have you tried re-installing wave manager? just a guess.

oh, btw, the red color did it for me too.

so paint your pc red !!
listen...an amd sempron pc is good for 40 tracks , mix down to stereo , ....
do another 40 tracks. costs about 350 bucks.
paint it red and put a delta sound card in it for 99 bucks.
paint the town red with music ....with no latency.

manning1 said:
so paint your pc red !!
He just doesn't get it guys, does he ;)

It's a red thing, you wouldn't understand... :cool:

manning1 said:
listen...an amd sempron pc is good for 40 tracks , mix down to stereo , ....
do another 40 tracks. costs about 350 bucks.
paint it red and put a delta sound card in it for 99 bucks.
paint the town red with music ....with no latency.

This is the direction I will eventually go, and I hope that when that mystical "extra money" i keep hearing about comes around my way, that you are around to help me with my technical woes and misery :D

I've been chatting up the IT guy at work, who has built his own computers, though he is more game oriented and can not fathom why I might possibly need the powerhouse I desire for recording... :rolleyes:

notbradsohner said:
yep, and i reformatted the card

Damn, I'm sorry for making light of your problem (not that this was my intention). I had a long BORING day at work...

Reformatted card, reinstalled wavmanager...........which firmware are you using again? :confused:

As suggested by dave (i think dave suggested it), try the cheap CF card reader route to see if your card is damaged...

Last edited:
Back