Mixing vs. Mastering

noisewreck

I think I know why there is so much confusion going on here and why we see so many posts asking how to mix/master (both at the same time) or if someone can master individual tracks, etc.

The confusion arises from the name of this subsection of the forum. The subsection is called "Mixing / Mastering", which is likely to lead some to the wrong conclusion.

I think it would be better to split these into two separate sections, as to aid in alleviating the confusion somewhat.

What do you think?

I would tend to agree although it appears that there is so much confusion as to where mixing ends and mastering begins for so many that I don't know it would make all that much difference. Besides watching the fray that ensues is always fun!

I'm all for it, George, and in fact made that suggestion a few months ago when one of the mods (I forget which one) asked for opinions on new forum descriptions. The response was something along the lines of them having already considering the idea themselves, but they decided to keep it this way because they didn't want an overabundance of forum choices.

I don't get it myself; there are three main phases to the production process: tracking, mixing, and mastering, and why tracking gets it's own forum (Recording Techniques) but mixing and mastering do not is something that never made a whole lot of sense to me. Three phases, three forums makes more sense to me.

But then again, since so few home recorders actually mix anything these days, I suppose a separate mixing forum would be probably about as quiet and as used as a modern-day library. :cool:

G.

I agree. It needs to be split. I would also suggest a sticky at the top of each forum with a brief explanation of what mixing/mastering is. Reading all these threads where people want help 'mastering' their stuff, and they don't actually know what mastering is, is getting kinda boring.

The BIGGEST advantage to splitting the three would be the eventual change/or establishment of the mind set that they are different & ought to be talked about discreetly.
So many youngsters see the words paired & then see mastering plugs for their DAW & assume they can just bung on another VST & run with the "mix master" concept.
We should have:
recording techniques;
mixing techniques;
the MP# mix clinic &
mastering techniques
as discrete forums & point newbies at the right place for their current circumstance/s.
I know I'd learn more & be able to compartmentalise the ifo better if it comes from discrete sources.

I agree

Good idea. Split them up and make a sticky defining what each one is. :)
But you know...there will still be people posting questions about mastering in the mixing forum because they don't know what they are and they are too lazy to use the search function.:rolleyes::mad:

Suggestion noted

stay tuned

Gecko are you the mod or have an inside scoop?

One other issue that I have is that the session time-out for the forum is very low. I realize the need for this (to save computer resources), however there have been several times when I have a longer post and when submitted I get the "you have to login" notice and lose the post. I now am in the habit of copying the post before hitting submit, submitting incrementally and editing as I go, or just letting the post go to vapor. All of these options are kind of annoying.

Gecko are you the mod or have an inside scoop?
Yeah, he is one of about a half dozen or so mods these days. Check out the bottom of the forum page.
One other issue that I have is that the session time-out for the forum is very low. I realize the need for this (to save computer resources), however there have been several times when I have a longer post and when submitted I get the "you have to login" notice and lose the post. I now am in the habit of copying the post before hitting submit, submitting incrementally and editing as I go, or just letting the post go to vapor. All of these options are kind of annoying.
Tom, I'm curious; how long would you estimate you have before such a session timeout? I've gone a good 45 minutes and probably a bit more in some instances (creating graphics for the post, being interrupted by the telephone, etc.) and I never suffered a session timeout from the BBS itself.

G.

how long would you estimate you have before such a session timeout? I've gone a good 45 minutes and probably a bit more in some instances (creating graphics for the post, being interrupted by the telephone, etc.) and I never suffered a session timeout from the BBS itself.

G.

Hmmm. I would have thought that you experienced this as well. It will sometimes timeout in what seems like 10 or 15 minutes. I wouldn't think that it's variable based on the number of people logged in but maybe? I often post from my iPhone (hence some of the shorter posts and mispellings) and winder if this might be an issue too. Maybe Safari on an iPhone doesn't have good cookie support.

What's involved in becoming a mod here? If the mastering section opens up I would think that John, Tom W. and I would be a good team for this if they are up for it. I don't have copious time for this, but between the three of us possibly it could be covered.

Yeah, he is one of about a half dozen or so mods these days. Check out the bottom of the forum page.

Ah, I usually only come to view this section of the forum and didn't see that link. There's already a good group of mods. I had thought that specifc people are in charge of an individual section, but it appears here that mods can control several.

Chili is even a super mod! You would be like the ace face in London during the 60s! Maybe noisedude would know this.

Hmmm. I would have thought that you experienced this as well. It will sometimes timeout in what seems like 10 or 15 minutes. I wouldn't think that it's variable based on the number of people logged in but maybe? I often post from my iPhone (hence some of the shorter posts and mispellings) and winder if this might be an issue too. Maybe Safari on an iPhone doesn't have good cookie support.
I can honestly say that in the almost five years I have been here I have never experienced a session timeout from this BBS. I'm working from a standard Wintel PC running Firefox 99% of the time (though I have for unrelated reasons on occasion also used an old version of IE.) I can only speculate here, but I wonder if maybe it might have something to do with the fact that I have Firefox set to "remember" my login info for this BBS so I never have to actually log in. I'm sure this is stored in the form of a cookie. I just have my CP page bookmarked, and I go right in without ever actually having to go through a login page, and no session timeouts.
What's involved in becoming a mod here? If the mastering section opens up I would think that John, Tom W. and I would be a good team for this if they are up for it. I don't have copious time for this, but between the three of us possibly it could be covered.
I'd offer myself the same way for the mixing forum. But I'm not sure if they are even in the market for any more mods or not. I'll leave gecko or chili or msh or one of the others to answer that one.

G.

I would definitely be in to helping out with that, and also think a distinction between the forums would be helpful.

The concept of "Home Recording" isn't what it used to be.

Now a days, many records, whether they are newby demo or pro major releases are being fully or partially recorded, mixed and sometimes mastered at a home studio.

The level of experience is all over the map. Understanding, learning, educating, and adapting to this way of working is increasingly becoming most important on all levels.

The only time out I see is hit 'new posts' (which I presume is just a search function?) and going to the next page after sitting idle for a while.

Back