Mixing Contest! Tons of prizes!

I dunno. Seems like an invitation to fire up the cookie-cutter factory. And a mix CAN'T be technically bad if it is awesome to listen to. If you "fixed" the Stooges, they wouldn't be as awesome to listen to. Anyway, the one that bothers me the most:

Separation - everything clean and audible in its own space with no EQ clashing

Many productions would fall flat on their ass if you did this. The entire point of Cherub Rock was that you couldn't pick out an individual guitar from the 15 or so playing the rhythm part. They wanted it to sound like a guitar wall. Does an orchestra mix fail because you can't pick out an individual 2nd chair violin? It would be a grating fractured mess if you could. Yeah, a mix can't sound like a muddy blob... but that's just "how does it sound".

Lol. Dude, seriously, STFU and get over it. Play along or don't.

Ok. Over it. It's a fun contest.

Can you guys post a list of tracks? I need to start planning how I'm gonna' compress 36 down to 24.

Right, it's just for fun and shits and grins. It's not like there's a million dollars at stake here, and it could be a good exercise for newer mixologists.

Myriad Rocker is the guy with the tracks. I'm just a volunteer judge. I haven't heard them or the song we're supposed to be judging, so all questions go through him.

And a mix CAN'T be technically bad if it is awesome to listen to.

On the other hand, a song can be technically excellent in the first 3 criteria and the mix still sucks. I judged one of these contests not too long ago and there were some songs that I thought were mixed, performed, arranged, etc very good, but still the overall outcome didn't cut it. And it wasn't based on like or dislike for a genre or songwriting skill; I love all kinds of music; just that some weren't up to standard with other submitted songs.

Overall Mix is definitely a valid criteria, and separate from the other three.

Can you guys post a list of tracks? I need to start planning how I'm gonna' compress 36 down to 24.
Some of those 36 are spot mics on the drums, a room mic, and a PZM. So you can likely reduce that down to 30. Some of the other tracks are just effect swells, a guitar solo, etc. So you might even be below 24 after that stuff is all taken out. As far as tracks go, coupled with your production freedom, there's plenty of options for you to use/not use.

If there's still room, I'd like to enter as well.
There's still room. You're in. I think the count is at 7 or 8. I'll do a final count later.

I'll give it a go. I PM'd you and gave you the link for the song.
I got your PM. However, you have to mix the song that I post. Not just your song. I'm uploading the tracks tonight and will post a link to download them if you would like to participate.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Participant list has been posted on the first (original) post. Tracks coming tonight.

Anyway you could let another person on list or perhaps a judge.

I wouldnt mind getting in on this...:cool:
I'll go ahead and put you on the list of participants.

That's 11 participants, folks. Have to be done at that point. I'm sure someone will either drop out or not submit so D_Vincent will be an alternate. If we end up with 11 mixes, though, that's fine, too. Unless a judge has an objection to doing that?

Thanks Rocker

Just need a link to the stems and were good to go.

When we fnish mix do you want us to put our name on finished mp3 file and then PM it to you or should we leave the name off it.

Whats the bpm of song.

Thanks Rocker

Just need a link to the stems and were good to go.

When we fnish mix do you want us to put our name on finished mp3 file and then PM it to you or should we leave the name off it.

Whats the bpm of song.
No stems. Everything is pretty self explanatory.

You can name it whatever you want. But it needs to be a WAV...not MP3. I'll number them and keep record of what that number translates to. But yeah, PM it to me when you finish.

You had to ask the bpm. I don't recall and my recording computer isn't up and running right now. It will be by the time judging comes around but it's down right now. Just beat detective that shit to find out! :D

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

All - The tracks have been posted on the first page on the original post. Very bottom. Happy mixing and good luck.

Trx dl'd. I count 27 sans the samples.

Here's the board, what will fit on the screen LOL.

Thanks Myriad_Rocker

Is this a heatmiser song?

Attachments

• BOARD.jpg
    BOARD.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 55
Back