Mix check - Mean Street

Thanks TripleM - With regards the 4K guitar drop you hear - are you referring to the rhythm guitars or the lead guitar - or both? The tone knob is rolled back to 8 but there's no eq cuts on any of the guitars.

I'm hearing it on both. Maybe it's just me, but I usually hear that on your guitars. Nobody else mentions it, so it might just be me. But the guitars just sound ever-so slightly muffled. Maybe move the mic a little closer to the center of the speaker. Or dial in some more presence. Or nudge up the tone control on the guitar.

Or don't listen to random chuckle-heads on the internet like me. :)

Mix 2 May 9 now posted (see OP):

Lead Guitar - volume down
Rhythm Guitars - panned L/R
Backup Vocals - panned closer to center
Drums - added compressor, volume up
All Vocals - eq cut 4K

:D

Caught! I altered my usual amp tone settings ever so slightly for this song; an effort to improve my tone. I engaged my graphic eq on my Ampeg SVT4PRO and introduced about a 1-2 db cut at about 900 hz and a 1-2 db boost at 45 hz. Otherwise all other settings were my usual. My recording channel I use a low shelving eq which I vary with the key I'm playing in to taste.
I have to agree that Gerry's guitars sound great as do his vocals.
Jason of course sounds great as usual. His mixing techniques for drums are very interesting. Thanks Jason!!

Clean mix. Sounds real good. I think I was hearing less of the harmony vox on this mix. Those are great.

I like this tune. Everything is real clean. Vocals are done very well. In particular how the harmony bknd vocs sit.

My only thoughts are on the drums. It is a "vintage" style song, but recorded modern, with that clarity. Yet the drums are laid back as if this was an older recording. If the tune had a more gritty saturated sound, laid back drums would fit just fine.
But I think to keep in line with the "modern" recording aspect, I personally would like to hear a bit more of the drums.
But that's just my opinion.
Overall I think its a great job.
:thumbs up:

On headphones I can hear everything loud and clear. My only complaint with the mix is the kick is all attack and no boom. It could do with just a little bit more beef, not a lot just enough to thicken it a little IMO. Vocals and backing vocal are great. Real nice groove too. Good job

I didn't comment on the 1st mix. I didn't want my bad ear to influence you fellows.
Mix 2 is a big improvement all around.
The drum mix sounds terrific. I get the comment about attack versus meat in the kick - maybe a little more thud would be good.
The guitars are well placed and sound cool. The lead tone is lovely.
Bass - nice tone Mike, the tweak you've done, what ever it is, has created a tone that cuts while it carries the bottom end. It def has some old proggy growl as well as meat with the potatoes. The bass has made significant steps forward in the last couple of track you blokes have posted. The best bit is being able to hear the runs & lines you're playing - swinging stuff!

Mix 2 - Huge improvement. I can hear the drums perfectly. I totally hear what others have commented regarding the attack on the kick, and it's buggin' me. It's because I used the SSLG preset on it, which is for very aggressive music, and it just doesn't fit this. Perhaps I'll re-mix it and get you guys another wet track...

Great mix, guys.

Wow. I think this is the best mix of yours I've heard yet ido. I'm listening on my tracking phones (Senn HD280s), and it sounds really loud and punchy and full. Big improvement over mixes from years past. I have no problems with the tones, the levels or any of that stuff. I'm sure there's stuff you could still do to improve the sound, but I can't think of what...sorry. Good performances all around. Well done.

Clean mix. Sounds real good. I think I was hearing less of the harmony vox on this mix. Those are great.
Thanks Robus - The harmonies are reduced a bit on this mix as they were (to me) a bit loud once I moved them towards center. When I get a new drum track I'll try upping them a bit more for you.

On headphones I can hear everything loud and clear. My only complaint with the mix is the kick is all attack and no boom. It could do with just a little bit more beef, not a lot just enough to thicken it a little IMO. Vocals and backing vocal are great. Real nice groove too. Good job
Thanks BH - I'll see if Jason can send us a new drum mix (per his post above) so I will post a remix once that is done.

I didn't comment on the 1st mix. I didn't want my bad ear to influence you fellows.
Mix 2 is a big improvement all around.
The drum mix sounds terrific. I get the comment about attack versus meat in the kick - maybe a little more thud would be good.
The guitars are well placed and sound cool. The lead tone is lovely.
Bass - nice tone Mike, the tweak you've done, what ever it is, has created a tone that cuts while it carries the bottom end. It def has some old proggy growl as well as meat with the potatoes. The bass has made significant steps forward in the last couple of track you blokes have posted. The best bit is being able to hear the runs & lines you're playing - swinging stuff!
Thanks Ray - Mike's bass playing is definitely top notch. I really like the bass runs in "On The Edge" in the latter part of the song, but his bass playing has always been excellent. The tone on this one is just right.

Mix 2 - Huge improvement. I can hear the drums perfectly. I totally hear what others have commented regarding the attack on the kick, and it's buggin' me. It's because I used the SSLG preset on it, which is for very aggressive music, and it just doesn't fit this. Perhaps I'll re-mix it and get you guys another wet track...
Great mix, guys.
Thanks Jason - Yes if you would like to do a remix and send us a file that would be great :)

Wow. I think this is the best mix of yours I've heard yet ido. I'm listening on my tracking phones (Senn HD280s), and it sounds really loud and punchy and full. Big improvement over mixes from years past. I have no problems with the tones, the levels or any of that stuff. I'm sure there's stuff you could still do to improve the sound, but I can't think of what...sorry. Good performances all around. Well done.
Thanks heatmiser - there's always something we can improve - it's a never ending quest (after several years lol). In any case it's good to hear this one sounds good.

Yeah. The 2nd mix sounds real good. Pro stuff right there. Good job, guys.
Thanks Chili - appreciate the listen and glad to hear the mix sounds good.

:D:D:D:D

I listened to mix 2. Sounds excellent - enjoyed the song, the playing and all the parts sound well balanced. Nothing came across as bei g out of whack to me. Nice work all three of you :)

Back