microphones for vocals

The short answer is that the AT series is made in China by people who don't get paid much. The longer form is that regarding vocal mics, frequency response charts are virtually meaningless.

what do you mean by the frequency response charts are virtually meaningless
?

It kind of means that the people in China don't really do a great job in creating it.
He doesn't mean that at all. He means that looking at a frequency resonse chart for a microphone isn't going to give you any sort of indication how it sounds or what sort of job it will do on whatever specific things you will be using it to record.
In the same way that telling me how quickly your cooker heats up and how hot it can get won't tell me how nice your food will taste if you use that particular cooker.

Note that I didn't say there's anything wrong with an AT2020, only that it can be built cheaply. And regarding frequency response charts, the scales used on them are often manipulated to make the response look flatter than it is. More importantly, the frequency output curve of every human voice is different. Therefore, every voice benefits from augmentation or attenuation in different frequency ranges. If there were just "good" and "bad" vocal mics, studios would only need one for everybody. If everybody had the same feet and walked on the same surface, we'd only need one universal shoe. And when the song changes, or the key, or the style, or the mix, what worked in one situation may not work in another. What you need is not the best mic, but the right mic, the shoe that fits. There is no vocal mic so good that it doesn't make someone sound awful. And- there is no vocal mic so bad that it doesn't make someone sound good. Furthermore, the major dips and bumps in the frequency response of mics are often in frequency bands that certain vocalists don't even produce. Do I care whether a vocal mic drops off at the bottom at 60 Hz or 80 Hz, when my voice has never produced any frequency below 180 Hz, even in overtones? No. On the other hand, if I was a Bass singer, I might actually care. The *only* way to know what mics make you sound good is to sing into them, and then listen. Most professional vocal recording artists can name mics that work for them, and ones that don't. And- every vocalist's list is different. Looking at frequency curves to select vocal mics is pretty much a waste of time. It's even worse when you realize that two singers who sound the same to you actually need very different mics, not just because of frequency curves, but because of differences in polar patterns, proximity fields, and sensitivity. This makes selecting vocal mics by listening to clips also a waste of time. In the first place, the mic they recorded the clip with affected the resulting frequency output, and then, it was probably made into an MP3, which deleted a bunch of critical digital information.

So- what can we do? We can recommend mics that work for us, or ones that work for somebody else. What can you do? Never pass up an opportunity to sing through a mic you've never tried. It could be your Holy grail. That means it will make somebody else suck. That's the awful truth, and why most major studios have a dozen main vocal mics, or more.

ah well I kinda knew that I love stuff that works great like stuff built in the US

Dude, BLUE stands for Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics - I doubt they're made in the good ol' US of A..

They're certainly much better looking than the Audio Technica mics. Does this matter? In some ways... if you like a pleasing aesthetic and think you'll perform better singing into something that has it....

:thumbs up:

dude it dont matter if you have a good mic or s cheap looking mic it all depends on the element in that aka mic capsule or magnet coil

I just love the good old US of A folks knocking China about quality. Well guys it won't be long until you have been left behind, remember the old Japanese cars (Jap Crap) in the 1070's well they certainly passed the build quality of the US cars after a few more years.

Audio Technica would have their own factory in China with their own quality control, the mics are not built in the back streets, while the AT2020 is not the best mic in the world it is a great buy for the price and you should get very usable results.

Cheers

Alan.

for whatever it's worth... we just picked up two Sure Super 55's.... so happy with them we bought two more. Use them at gigs and for recording... put them up against many other "vocal recording" mics. Just fyi.

for whatever it's worth... we just picked up two Sure Super 55's.... so happy with them we bought two more. Use them at gigs and for recording... put them up against many other "vocal recording" mics. Just fyi.

Those are a nice Supercardioid microphone.

So- what can we do? We can recommend mics that work for us, or ones that work for somebody else. What can you do? Never pass up an opportunity to sing through a mic you've never tried. It could be your Holy grail. That means it will make somebody else suck. That's the awful truth, and why most major studios have a dozen main vocal mics, or more.
Richard is right. You will never know if a particular microphone suits your voice or the voice of someone who you are recording until you actually use it. Borrow a mic or rent a mic.

Back