Micing classic guitar: Shure SM57 or what?

Feanor IV

Hello,

I'm going to buy a mic to record my classic guitar, which I use both for strumming (in an "acoustic" pattern, but with nylon strings) and for playing in a classical way. So, I don't really know which mic to buy.

I already have an AKG c900 for vocals and I intend to buy a few more mics for vocals, but I really need one or two for my guitar as well. For my guitar I was considering the Shure SM57 which seems to be a classic, and for my vocals I was thinking of buying AKG c535 and SP C1 (those of you who have read my other posts here have already helped me with this :)).

So, the question is: a) should I buy the SM57, or maybe you prefer something else? b) maybe one of the mics I'm considering for my vocals will serve for the guitar stuff as well? In this case, would I rather buy only that one?

Any opinions please? :)

THANKS! :D

i wouldn't do that,

get yourself a condenser for accoustic guitars,

the 57 is awesome for Electric guitars, put one in front of your amp and YESSSSS! but an accoustic guitar, mhhh, istn't really loud enough to make a 57 scream :D

whats your budget?

maybe the best idea is not to buy a bunch of vocal mics but
try to get like ONE or two decent mics that can be used for several things,

i don't know the AKG c900 you talk about, but who knows it kinda works for your gut? if you're on a budget i'd only buy a new mic if you really are UNPLEASED with the current mic you're using

my 2 cents

I see your point. Well, for my classic guitar mic, I'd like to spend preferably less than $150 but if you guys think it's not good enough I might go up to $250 or sth. I mean, it's obvious that I can get sth better with $250, but I prefer to give up to $150 :) However, if you believe that the quality will be MUCH better if I go up to $250, I can do it i think :) So, give me your recommendations! :D

maybe the best idea is not to buy a bunch of vocal mics but
try to get like ONE or two decent mics that can be used for several things

Well, is there any specific item you could recommend? For vocals and classic guitar. If this matters I have a rather high voice but not very loud.

I recomend Shure's SM81. When I took some classes at NYU, they used it almost exclusively for acoustic guitar, and I know a lot of other major studio do too. You can get one for around $200 on ebay, they're a little more new though. They're rock solid (as pretty much all Shure mics are) and they have a great reputation...

-Peter

Studio Projects B1
CAD M179
AUDIO TECHNICA 4033, 4040.4047
I don't use Marshalls but do a search some folks do
Nice acoustic sound from a mc012 (two is great)

It can be great on vocals and acoustics, I have never used it on classical or finger style, usually go to a sdc or omni

Several good mics have been mentioned, especially AT4033 and Shure SM81. Frankly, the C535 you mentioned for vocals isn't a bad choice either. I use C414B-ULS, and it works very well, but isn't in the stated price range.-Richie

Ok, then, here's a list of the mics you've told me about guys! :) Please vote on them. Keep in mind that I'm also doing vocals, so if a mic of the following is apropriate for both classic guitar & vocals, I prefer it. However I would not like to lose anything from the guitar sound in order to get a mic that also works for vocals. Guitar is priority! :)

(you can always recommend another mic, of course, but please state your opinion on these, just tell me one or two you consider to be the best..... :))

• AKG c535
  • AKG c2000
  • SP B1
  • SP C1
  • CAD m179
  • SHURE SM81
  • AT 4033
  • AT 4040
  • MARSHAL MXL603
  • OXTAVA MC012
  • BEHRINGER B5 (pair)

Thanks in advance :D

Feanor IV said:
Ok, then, here's a list of the mics you've told me about guys! :) Please vote on them. Keep in mind that I'm also doing vocals, so if a mic of the following is apropriate for both classic guitar & vocals, I prefer it. However I would not like to lose anything from the guitar sound in order to get a mic that also works for vocals. Guitar is priority! :)

(you can always recommend another mic, of course, but please state your opinion on these, just tell me one or two you consider to be the best..... :))

• AKG c535
  • AKG c2000
  • SP B1
  • SP C1
  • CAD m179
  • SHURE SM81
  • AT 4033
  • AT 4040
  • MARSHAL MXL603
  • OXTAVA MC012
  • BEHRINGER B5 (pair)

Thanks in advance :D

For nylon string guitar and vocals, I'd pick the M179 from the list.

I would second (or I guess third) the SM81. I asked this exact same question about 4 weeks ago, and I was recommended the SM81. It totally exceeded my expectations. My guitar sounds fantastic, and I'm plugging the thing into a $70 behringer mixer. I haven't had much other experience with using it on other sources, but I consistently hear praises about its versatility from other people. I was able to pick up a nearly new one off ebay for $235. When more cash becomes available, the next natural upgrade would be to get a second SM81, which I am planning to do after I get a decent preamp.

I feel as though I am committing some recording sin by butchering the SM81's integrity with that friggin behringer. :D

Oh, and if it makes any difference the guitar is a Cordoba 40R.

57 sounds like ass on acoustic gtr. Get a Studio Projects B1. Only $79 and a great acoustic gtr mic. A better mic for acoustic instruments than the C1, IOO.

The SM81 rocks on guitar, but a vocal mic, it's not. I'm sorry, but I can't recommend any relatively cheap mic for classical guitar *and* vocals. Classic guitar, IMHO, records best with 2 small diaphragm condensers, and vocals best with one large diaphragm condenser or a kickass dynamic. This becomes less true when you get into more mid-priced LD condencers, such as AKG C414 or Neumann TLM103. On a budget, it doesn't make sense to try and make one mic do it all. My personal choice for a < $500 total would be a pair of Studio Projects C-4's on the Classic, and AKG C2000B on vox, but that's just me.-Richie

Feanor IV said:
Keep in mind that I'm also doing vocals, so if a mic of the following is apropriate for both classic guitar & vocals, I prefer it. However I would not like to lose anything from the guitar sound in order to get a mic that also works for vocals. Guitar is priority! :)

KSM32 might fit the bill, it's a little less than the 414 & TLM103, but still out of your range.

I've been happy with the way my AKG c535 captures the sound of a nylon stringed quatro...the B1 does an acceptable job as well. For my voice (non-sibilant), the 535 sounds better on vocals as well...

hope that helps ya out!

Back