Mic Tube swap but noise...is this common?

cnix

I just swapped out the tube in SP T3 with the NOS ge 6072 Black Plate tube. As I turned the power on to "burn in" the tube, there is a lot of noise coming from the mic, like static. Is this common on burn in or have I done something wrong. I pulled the original tube out (like unplugging a power cord from an outlet) and plugged in the new tube in its place.

Can someone set me straight! Thanks

...gently remove the new tube and replace it with the original tube...if that cures the static problem, you've got a bum 6072...it happens...try and return it to the seller for a replacement...if you still have the static, then the mic has other issues...truth is, most tube mics don't require much burn in...static is definately not a good sign (as far as the NOS tube is concerned)...try and be careful when removing/replacing the tube, not to touch the PCB or bend any of the caps or components...and most importantly UNPLUG that badboy and give the mic a few minutes before opening it up...safety first...

Reactions: NL5
Thanks guys. I removed the NOS and replaced with the original tube and the mic is sounding good. Bad tube.

I spoke with the guy that sold me the NOS. He will send me a replacement, but wants me to try something first. He said that this is a 50 year old tube and the contacts may need cleaning. Radio Shack sells a spray that will clean the contacts and this could solve the problem. Sounds like a plan to me unless you guys say something something different.

I have cleaned contacts on bad sounding tubes and it cleaned up the sound. If the guy says he will replace it if it doesn't work, whaddya got to lose?

cnix said:
I spoke with the guy that sold me the NOS. He will send me a replacement, but wants me to try something first. He said that this is a 50 year old tube and the contacts may need cleaning. Radio Shack sells a spray that will clean the contacts and this could solve the problem. Sounds like a plan to me unless you guys say something something different.

...WD40 carefully applied (spray on a paper towel and then wipe all the pins thoroughly and then WIPE DRY BEFORE REPLACING THE TUBE) will often achieve the same results...

Thanks guys, WD 40, the wonder stuff. My grandfather used WD 40 sprayed on his joints to relieve his arthritis. I am a tennis player, have played for years, and when I tore my meniscus nothing helped. I was in the middle of a tournament and tried grandpa's old recipe, WD 40 on my knee, and was able to finish the tournament. EVERYBODY laughed at me, but man that stuff works wonders on lots of stuff.

cnix said:
Thanks guys, WD 40, the wonder stuff. My grandfather used WD 40 sprayed on his joints to relieve his arthritis. I am a tennis player, have played for years, and when I tore my meniscus nothing helped. I was in the middle of a tournament and tried grandpa's old recipe, WD 40 on my knee, and was able to finish the tournament. EVERYBODY laughed at me, but man that stuff works wonders on lots of stuff.

I really hope your joking tin man.

OK guys, taxes are out of the way, work has slowed down, and the honey - do list is complete (gotta make moma happy). I bought a brand new shiney can of WD 40, from a smoke-free store, sprayed the tips of the NOS tube, taking care as kidvybes instructions not to damage the tube, wiped them down, dried them off, and plugged into the T3 to take a listen. What did I hear? Nothing!!!! This WD 40 is some awesome stuff. The mic is clear as a bell.

Now, my current tennis ailment is bone spurs on my heel, severe tendonitis in my right achilles, and the anti-inflamatory's the Dr. gave me do nothing but hurt my stomach. Play on Monday, limp on Tuesday and Wednesday. I wonder what this new shiny can of WD 40, straight from a smoke-free store, can do for my ailments? Hum....... :D

cnix said:
I bought a brand new shiney can of WD 40, from a smoke-free store, sprayed the tips of the NOS tube, taking care as kidvybes instructions not to damage the tube, wiped them down, dried them off, and plugged into the T3 to take a listen. What did I hear? Nothing!!!! This WD 40 is some awesome stuff. The mic is clear as a bell.

...I love happy endings... ;)

simpleybass said:
I hope you aren't really spraying this stuff on your skin.
:(

...that would explain the "numb fingers"... :eek:

I overcooked my Hamburg. Now it looks like a Vienna. Pass the WD-40, I gotta scrape it off the grill. :(

cnix said:
I just swapped out the tube in SP T3 with the NOS ge 6072 Black Plate tube. As I turned the power on to "burn in" the tube, there is a lot of noise coming from the mic, like static. Is this common on burn in or have I done something wrong. I pulled the original tube out (like unplugging a power cord from an outlet) and plugged in the new tube in its place.

Can someone set me straight! Thanks

Hi mate,

I'm sure by now (eight months later after your initial post) that you've successfully swapped out the tube in your T3 with the NOS GE 6072. How does it sound now?

any diff with the NOS RCA 6072?

Could you also point me out to the place you got your tubes from? Do they accept online orders?

Thanks!
Regards,
[Charles]

Got mine from this guy, kcanostubes@verizon.net, but if you google, you will find many. The tube was smoother than the original, but do not know anything about this tube compared to other tube possibilities.

Charlie

Back