Mic Comparison: SM57, EV757, 4033, 4050, C1, NTK, 460B

I see where both jet-rocker and Waldo are coming from.

personally, I like direct links and a lot of people do too.

THe best thing to do, is to disable it.

You can't link directly to an mp3 on mp3.com

Yep. Just disable direct linking.

Sonixx, I didn't get to hear the mics, and hope you find somewhere, not nowhere, to repost:)

Unfortuneatly, you can't just 'disable' direct linking, as there is always a way around it. I have made an application that makes it harder to direct link playbacks, but haven't had the time to do this with the downloads yet.

And yes, you 'can' direct link to mp3.com songs, it's just not as easy, and still marked as illegal in their disclaimers.

The biggest issue, is of course that it also narrows down compatibility, making it difficult for some people to download/playback even through a good link.

I will take Jet-rockers suggestion into account, and post extra notices (I already have one in the 'links' section, as well as the disclaimer) on the actual upload page.

BTW, Jet-rocker, notice my post count, and check out other posts on this forum. I don't just come to homerec to bitch at people, in fact, I have spent many hours critiquing peoples mixes, and helping out around here as much as I can.

I already have initiated an 'optional' pay structure on NWR, limitting free usage, etc., and offering infinite space to those who pay.

And if you think I'm being a dick, that's fine, I don't really care what you think about me, but think it's rather rude to slander me for something I didn't do wrong. In order to keep NWR alive and functional for everybody, sometimes I have to be a dick, this much has recently become apparent to me.

I have no qualms with Sonixx, it just upset me that rather than continuing to support NWR, or simply correct the issue, he just deleted his account and walked away... If he wanted to sign back on, I would have absolutely no problem with it, I would just ask that he follows the few rules I have put in place, for the good of everyone that uses the service.

You also caught me on about the worst possible day for moods, as I just experienced another birthday yesterday, and was not pleased to have to work my butt off to keep things running, let alone that getting older doesn't please me... So if I came across blunt, my appologies, I'm not good at sugar coating anything.

Mr Waldo...

I've sent you $10 (support@nowhereradio.com) via Paypal for your troubles.

TheRealWaldo said:
Actually, you should look up 'Bandwidth Theft', it is a prosecutable offense. And if you look at mp3.com, they have the very same clause, only they won't ask you to stop, they'll just slap a lawsuit on you.

I came here asking him to stop, and posted a notice that I wouldn't be so nice any longer. If you look around the forums you will notice I have done this in the very same forums MORE than 10 times. Each, and every time, it costs me time to fix the problem, and the bandwidth for each individual that did break the rules costs me between $5 and $10 each month they do.

I've been nice, and Sonixx was the unfortuneate, or fortunate, however you look at it, one to be the last one that I will be nice too. I don't make a quarter of what alot of you guys do, and can't be 'nice' and eat everybody elses mistakes all the time.

You will note that I did not delete his account (which is what the immediate penalty listed was), he did that, which was what upset me.

It's like getting in an accident, telling the person you hit 'I'm sorry' and running away. Would YOU be happy if you were the person hit?

W.

"... So if I came across blunt, my appologies, I'm not good at sugar coating anything."

Neither am I, if you didn't already notice... But I think that we are reaching some sort of middle ground.

I'm not saying that it's right for people to dick with you. No way.

I'm just saying that you played unnecesarily rough with Sonixx. What he did was accidental... hell he was trying to provide usefull info for everyone here.

Everyone has their days, and I can dig the birthday dread. So I'm willing to leave it at that.

-Jett

Ditto,

Sonixx, your donation is not neccessary, I would rather see you list a few of your tunes and have you be successful.

Just in case you already sent the donation, I should warn you I have not recieved anything, be careful to send to the right addresses. I will apply anything towards the pay services on NWR.

W.

Hi Sonixx,

I tried downloading these mp3 clips both they dont seem to be online any more - id love to give them a listen,

Thanks,

Barry.

Baz97 said:
Hi Sonixx,

I tried downloading these mp3 clips both they dont seem to be online any more - id love to give them a listen,

Thanks,

Barry.
I've since removed my clips and music from nowhereradio. i'll need to search for a place to post these clips as my Bellsouth WEB page only supports 10mb and the clips total about 12mb.

i'll post the location when i find a place.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the mic setup...I guess I deleted it.

regards,
-kp-

You can direct link to an mp3 (or the stream) on IUMA for free. I can upload at any bit rate I want, including VBR rates that I normally use. They have a fat pipe to the internet, and I never get dropouts when streaming from them.
My address is also convenient... http://charger.iuma.com .

And no one from IUMA has ever bitched at me.

charger said:
You can direct link to an mp3 (or the stream) on IUMA for free. I can upload at any bit rate I want, including VBR rates that I normally use. They have a fat pipe to the internet, and I never get dropouts when streaming from them.
My address is also convenient... http://michaeljones.iuma.com .

And no one from IUMA has ever bitched at me.
ditto.

thanks charger and Michael...i'll give it a look soon...

for now i've put the MICs back on nowhereradio each under the mic name in the Artist Sonixx:

NTK
C1
460B
SM57
ND757

i found the pic and i have put it back on my WEB. view it in the first post of this thread...

FWIW...i've also posted my KIT recorded with NTK's as overheads...

Last edited:
IUMA also hasn't been owned by those who started it way back when, they were sold and bought several times, and are now owned by italian major industry. They also sell your music and keep the profits... They haven't sent me the cheque they've owed me from 2nd quarter 2001 at all. Go have a look in their forums some time at how many people are bitching over them, keep in mind more than half of the complaints are deleted, but a few slip through, and if what you will see is a 'few', I think you'll agree with me. BTW, it's also in their contract not to direct link, however, they have no staff to monitor anything, let alone fix anything, Vitaminic is where they are herding all of the artists, and they want you to ditch IUMA, they are pulling a Microsoft style move. Normal outage time for IUMA this year, 12.2% of the time. And they won't deny it (if you can get ahold of them).

They're one of the reasons I started NWR.

For future reference Sonixx, your link is http://nowhereradio.com/sonixx

And a closer to direct (and legal) link to the mic comparisons is http://nowhereradio.com/sonixx/singles

If you want any more legal links, just visit the 'get links' section(s) of your artist admin.

All you folk who want to dig up old dirt, slog off, I had a bad day.

W.

I know one of the IUMA founders, and he still works for Vitaminic. I agree that they don't have any people supervising what happens there now. I also enjoy that level of freedom. The last thing I want is people telling me what kind of content I can or can't post, what kind of links I can or can't do, etc. And the performance downloading and streaming there is stellar, so I must be missing the outages.

Anyway, it's not a pissing contest, just a viable alternative. Those are allowed in the HomeRecording universe, are they not?

You know Sonixx... I'm still just an idiot newbie here (technically)... but I almost feel like I should apologize to you for the gigantic puddle of piss you just had to wade through...

What the hell is wrong with you people....????

Some poor guy came along and asked you to play a f#%king GAME!!!!!!!... Just match up a sound with the mic you think it goes with...

A guessing game... not a "what's the best mic"... or a "which one should YOU buy"... just a stupid game...

You know... like the ones you used to play back when you had a sense of humor..... back when you didn't have large pieces flaming coal shoved up your tightened sphincters... :rolleyes:

Take a step back from your computer monitors for a second... (if you can manage that) and try to fathom just how anal you all sound right now...

accusing the guy of tampering with the results... geez oh pete... and kudos on the lawsuit threats... that was rich... :rolleyes:

I mean seriously... this was pathetic.

WATYF

P.S. Sonixx... I'm not joking.. I really am sorry you had to go through this... I've got my own ftp server and if you need space, I'll be happy to host a couple files for a while.

Jesus guys, look at the dates on the goddamn posts! This is long in the past.

I have no beef with Sonixx, and you guys have no idea what you are talking about!

W.

YEAH!!!!!

Who ressurected this disgrace anyway?!?!? :p

oh yeah... it was that Baz97 guy..

let's all flame him now... :D

O.K... I'm first...

that Baz guy... he's a real... uh... doody brain!!! I can't believe he wanted to download mp3's that were two months old... (doesn't he know that the average shelf-life of an NWR MP3 is only four days!!!! :p ) he may be a newbie... but he shoulda known better!!! That's gotta be some kinda violation of the HR forums user agreement... I wonder if I can press charges...??

:D

WATYF

Yeah, what is wrong with this guy? He actually wants to listen to sound thru microphones and make up his own mind to what he thinks is best.
Doesn't he know this forum is for opinions about what what we heard somebody else say about what his friend thought was the best mic? I mean, holy shit, where is this guy coming from? :D

Last edited:
Back