Mic Comparison: SM57, EV757, 4033, 4050, C1, NTK, 460B

Thanks Cyn Jag

Thanks for your response, My knowledge of recording mikes is extreamly limited. Sincerely, Don

MIKE COMPARISON

I preferred # 5 and curious to know which one it is? Look forward to the results. I have an NTK but in all honesty could not tell which one was that mike. Maybe 2 or 6? i find i have to be more like 18 inches at the 12 th fret on my Gurian acoustic as it's simply too boomy on that guitar aimed at the soundhole.
Thanks for doing this test/comparison

Michael Hart

haha

"please feel free to call me Toll Free at 877-563-6335, and I will go into more detail."

now how many people can say THAT! hehe.

I think these tests are fine as a little game...see Blue Bear make a fool of himself, what not. hehe. ;)

But honestly, anyone who is going to defend them as a good "learning tool" or whatever else, needs to re-evaluate.

I thought Alan and Harvey both did a good job of pointing out the weaknesses in these type of tests. Not that they arn't fun...or don't have a place in the mic forum or whatever.

I think the people doing the tests probably do learn a lot about how different mics or types of mics work - the tests everyone needs to be doing for themselves. On the mp3 side of this test though, there arn't any conclusions one can make - just some bad assumptions.

To me, the whole point about "how can newbies learn..what if they want to rely.." etc. is a pretty weak one. I think that a newbie should only buy a mic which he can really test out - after hearing input from people on places like this board.

There is so much that can be done with any mic that not many of us take the time to discover - like what Harney mentioned in his post (finding the right sound for the time...a cheapie mic might be the ticket).

If you have an SM57, you can get a good sound - if you work with it enough. Look at what John Rubero (i believe that's the name) in the MP3 Mixing Clinic did...made a really great album in my opinion...with only an NT1.

I'm the type of person to quickly blame gear for my faults...but it shouldn't be that way. My point is - newbies need to learn from experience with ANY mic, how to use technique and resourcefulness to get a better sound.

Hearing the guitar sound they are after and matching it up and saying "Ah...the C1 is the sound i am after!"...well, that wasn't their preamp..or their guitar..or their micing technique...or whatever else. It just gives people a bad idea I think.

As a game along - I agree that it is fun to try to pick out which mic is which, and I've taken part on several occassions. I would just say the same that Alan or Harvey said (and yes, I realize that I am a nobody), don't take it too seriously.

Sorry for the rant, hearing the thread starter say that he felt sorry for Alans view of these kind of tests just kind of hit me the wrong way.

I think you did a fine job on your test Sonnix, for what it's worth (pun intended)

Re: haha

wes480 said:
...Sorry for the rant, hearing the thread starter say that he felt sorry for Alans view of these kind of tests just kind of hit me the wrong way.

I think you did a fine job on your test Sonnix, for what it's worth (pun intended)
thanks WES480...

my comment was solely aimed at Alan's comment about my possibly changing the EQ and maybe doctoring the recordings. i have since found this interesting (i didn't know about his Mic CD at the time) that he would make this comment in light of his Mic Listening CD where he has a financial interest. maybe i took his comment in the wrong light, but it struck me that he was possibly questioning my ethics and that i was misrepresenting my recordings.

Sonixx,

In the "heat of the moment" of this thread I can understand you taking Alan's comment that way, and as I said earlier, I went through the same thing months ago and really copped some shit from a couple of people over my mic comparisons.

That said, Alan's point was NOT that he thought you had "loaded" the tests.......only that it is impossible to know exactly how much credence to give these "tests" if you aren't there to see exactly what was done at the time, as there are some people around who would not hesitate to discredit certain brands of mics.

As I said, these "tests" are only relevant to the person doing them. Why?.......Because that person is the one who has "hands on" the controls, and what is recorded is only representative of their particular acoustic environment......no-one elses. Sure it's fun and interesting for the person doing it (I know, I've been there) but that's all.

:cool:

All I can say to add to this godawful mess, is damn that's a nice-sounding guitar! I woudln't sneeze at any of those guitar sounds. And good playing too. I was immensely gratified to see that my beloved Rode NTK was my favorite, even though I got to the party too late to vote. But honestly, these sounds were all pretty nice, and I can see them all being useful in one situation or another.

Thanks Sonixx for subjecting yourself to the usual shootout ridicule, and thanks for actually posting a picture of where the mics were placed... very helpful.

Another one I missed.

Direct Linking on NWR is in direct violation of the terms of agreement, and normally results in account deletion.

Your 'song' links have been disabled, and will not be re-enabled unless you refresh your artists page. If you wish to link to your 'songs', visit your 'get links' page.

I have marked your account as exceeding rotation count, meaning you will be unable to upload for 2 months as a penalty. If you wish to upload sooner, feel free to pay for the service and e-mail me once you have.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE VIOLATORS: I will NOT tolerate this waste of my time any longer, immediate account deletion will occur from now on.

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
Another one I missed.

Direct Linking on NWR is in direct violation of the terms of agreement, and normally results in account deletion.

Your 'song' links have been disabled, and will not be re-enabled unless you refresh your artists page. If you wish to link to your 'songs', visit your 'get links' page.

I have marked your account as exceeding rotation count, meaning you will be unable to upload for 2 months as a penalty. If you wish to upload sooner, feel free to pay for the service and e-mail me once you have.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE VIOLATORS: I will NOT tolerate this waste of my time any longer, immediate account deletion will occur from now on.

W.
yikes... :o eek... :eek: Sorry Mr Waldo. i guess i should have read your agreement closer...sorry for the inconvenience

no need to concern yourself with my account any more...it's deleted...

thanks for having the service though...

So, rather than supporting NWR in any way, shape, or form, you just delete your account and say 'thanks', after running up my bandwidth bill?

Gee, thats nice.

TheRealWaldo said:
So, rather than supporting NWR in any way, shape, or form, you just delete your account and say 'thanks', after running up my bandwidth bill?

Gee, thats nice.
i'm just apologizing...
nothing more to add...

I think I was nice about it, as contractually, he broke the law, and I could unleash a lawsuit on him.

But I won't, as I've been donating my cash, and my time to help artists such as him, and will continue to do so. People just have to understand that I'm not here to be used and abused.

If you think it was a PR stunt, you obviously don't know me.

Get a life.

W.

Waldo....

Somewhere, I hear the world's smallest violin playing a sad-sad song.

A martyr and a megolomaniac rolled into a one. You're a creep that you would even mention a lawsuit. And from the little bit of law that I've studied--good luck. Contractually he broke the contract, not the law. Unless you've been given legislative authority as well.

Like you couldn't have just said, "please don't do that Sonixx." Intead you have to ride in like the bitch sheriff at high noon.

I actually had respect for you until I saw this crap. Everyone has bad days, but you're digging in deeper.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor, and represent yourself and your service with a little bit of class.

-Jett

Actually, you should look up 'Bandwidth Theft', it is a prosecutable offense. And if you look at mp3.com, they have the very same clause, only they won't ask you to stop, they'll just slap a lawsuit on you.

I came here asking him to stop, and posted a notice that I wouldn't be so nice any longer. If you look around the forums you will notice I have done this in the very same forums MORE than 10 times. Each, and every time, it costs me time to fix the problem, and the bandwidth for each individual that did break the rules costs me between $5 and $10 each month they do.

I've been nice, and Sonixx was the unfortuneate, or fortunate, however you look at it, one to be the last one that I will be nice too. I don't make a quarter of what alot of you guys do, and can't be 'nice' and eat everybody elses mistakes all the time.

You will note that I did not delete his account (which is what the immediate penalty listed was), he did that, which was what upset me.

It's like getting in an accident, telling the person you hit 'I'm sorry' and running away. Would YOU be happy if you were the person hit?

W.

Beleive it or not ignorance of contractual conditions, even when a user hits "ok" are enough to take them off the hook 90% of the time. Also, your case for bandwith theft is pretty weak. You'd have about as much luck suing me for slander for calling you an asshole.

To expand on your car accident anology: Basically you set yourself up to be hit by lying face down in the center of the road. Maybe by calling out to one out of 50 cars you might not get hit for a little longer.

There are some things that you could do besides coming to bulletin boards and intimidating the members:

When a user submits anything to your site, have some sort of dialogue box state in big bold letters that under no circumstance should they link directly to the mp3. You could also feature this promintently over every listed song. This change probably wouldn't take too many lines of code.

You could charge for your service. This is an unpopular idea. But why should you carry the collective burden. A modest fee might not be a bad idea. Don't deep six yourself and whine about it. You'd probably lose many members but you wouldn't be in the hole.

So come down off the cross please. You seem like you could be a decent guy. I don't know--all I know of you is from this conversation. And your idea is good.

But don't act like you're being a merciful nice guy, when you're really being a dick.

-Jett

Back