I just cant seem to drum with the click in the background, in
the studio and here at home.
We had a little project in the drum section, track was left
and a few added drums, different views from different
drummers is :eek: .
The track is 96bpm but that seems to slow for the song, how
can i lower the volume of the track and up the volume of the
bpm.
Any tips for using this is most welcome.
thanks

uhhh....

Record your click to a track, then raise the volume on that track and lower the others.

Turn your metronome up?

-------------------------------------

Use a tone on ur metronome that isnt masked by ur music?

?!?

PARTAY!!!!!!!!!

You know I've never met a drummer that uses a metronome that didn't think it was too slow, or too fast or "off". But seriously once you start getting used to it, it makes editing a freaking breeze. Just keep it up and eventually it'll be second nature to you. Oh and also if the metronome is on your software then just enable a few more tracks if you need more volume, other than that just record it like it was stated earlier and keep turning it up.

Don't play 'to' the metronome, play 'with' it. Act like it is going to be part of the song. You have to pretend that you are in a latin rhythm section with 5 other guys all playing different percussion, the metronome would be the guy playing 1/4 notes on the cowbell.

Sometimes it helps to have the metronome playing 1/8 notes.

Farview said:
Don't play 'to' the metronome, play 'with' it. Act like it is going to be part of the song. You have to pretend that you are in a latin rhythm section with 5 other guys all playing different percussion, the metronome would be the guy playing 1/4 notes on the cowbell.

Sometimes it helps to have the metronome playing 1/8 notes.
Excellent point!

fraserhutch said:
Then I doubt you've met a good drummer :)

Well my statement wasn't entirely true. I actually recorded a guy from the Dave Matthews coverband Crash. He was phenominal. He also played great with a metronome. I also had one other drummer that just played with a metronome, no band, just the click. He wasn't really that good though. Maurice(from Crash) is just amazing. Other than that you're right, talented drummers, yes, good ones, not really.

Good drummers, those that actually study and practice, in my experience do so to a metronome.
Actually, the same goes for pretty much any musician I would want to play with in an ensemble.

So, playing to a click track should never be an issue for a decent drummer, in fact, it certainly hasn't been in my experience.

jonnyc said:
You know I've never met a drummer that uses a metronome that didn't think it was too slow, or too fast or "off". But seriously once you start getting used to it, it makes editing a freaking breeze. Just keep it up and eventually it'll be second nature to you. Oh and also if the metronome is on your software then just enable a few more tracks if you need more volume, other than that just record it like it was stated earlier and keep turning it up.

your heart beat ain't gonna cut it...metronome...it's your friend...you just don't know it yet.

i have just learned to play with the click track, i pan the click to the left side and have the backing track or depending if im playing live have the rest of the sound to the right. i have to ahve the clickmrather loud cos i play loud :)

Lots of the drummers I have met seem to think they have a perfect sense of time, for them using a metronome or click track is an insult to their ego. Like Fairview said, it's when a drummer realizes that you play with a click, not to it, that the rythm all comes together. A click is just a reference, an aid to keep everyone on time, and not just for drummers.

Well thanks for the tips there all taken in and digested.

I use sonar4 at home, load in a track someone wants me
to add to, set the bpm, start the track and i cant really
hear the click, is there anyways to make the click louder?

Other than that all i could think of was making the track
a few db lower?

Please be patient with my beginner like questions.

thanks

You could always track a click track and thus treat it like any other audio track.

scotsman1 said:
Well thanks for the tips there all taken in and digested.

I use sonar4 at home, load in a track someone wants me
to add to, set the bpm, start the track and i cant really
hear the click, is there anyways to make the click louder?

Other than that all i could think of was making the track
a few db lower?

Please be patient with my beginner like questions.

thanks

I just turn down the song and turn up the headphones. It isn't permanent, you can turn it back up later.

fraserhutch said:
You could always track a click track and thus treat it like any other audio track.

BINGO! Just use some midi, whatever sound you want (COWBELL:P) and make a 1/4 or 1/8th note pattern.

It's funny...

I just recorded some tracks with a local jazz/fusion group and brought my Tama Rhythm Watch to the sessions... They were so blown away by how 'off' their meter was (at first they were blaming me ) they have now gone out and bought a Boss Dr Rhythm.... The Rhythm Watch was too 'dry' for them but the Boss gives them more natural clicks to work with.

Normally I deal with drum students who use the 'the metronome doesn't let the music breathe' crutch... This was the first time I've ever shown other musicians how beneficial it is....

Scots... Fraser hit the nail on the head... Record the click as a separate track and adjust accordingly.... You'll find a formula that works for you and then you'll wonder why you ever recorded without a click :)

wx3 said:
BINGO! Just use some midi, whatever sound you want (COWBELL:P) and make a 1/4 or 1/8th note pattern.

How cool would it be to have a whole kit made of different sized cowbells :p

The secret is to find the worst tone possible for the metronome and turn it up. Once it's really loud and horrible to listen to, you can't help but follow it.

Back