Merry Christmas from the Greg_L family - another two-fer! 2014 edition!

LOL @ Ghost of Christmas Presents!!

VERY nice ....... your usual tight fat guitars and great drumbing.

12 days was great and yes, it has become a tradition to hear your kids ...... but Ghost kills!
Nice git lead too.

Very nice tunes for my Christmas collection.

Merry Christmas mang!

:)

Last edited:
LOL @ Ghost of Christmas Presents!!

VERY nice ....... your usual tight fat guitars and great drumbing.

12 days was great and yes, it has become a tradition to hear your kids ...... but Ghost kills!
Nice git lead too.

Merry Christmas mang!

Hey thanks a lot buddy. Merry Christmas! :)

Last edited:
Cool to keep the tradition alive. I'm liking the 12 days more than the Ghost.
No nits on the mixes or anything. Just enjoyed the listens.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Saw this ad for a punk gig tomorrow and for some reason thought of your cheery Christmas Ghost song....

01616_1XTg7HC3UvJ_600x450.jpg

This is my fourth time hearing one of these. Always a pleasure! It's funny hearing about the cycle of your kids' motivation. I imagine the last step will be excitement once more.

This is my fourth time hearing one of these. Always a pleasure! It's funny hearing about the cycle of your kids' motivation. I imagine the last step will be excitement once more.

Thanks dude.

I like the kids' current state of indifference. It makes my job much easier. :D

Ha awesome!!! Thanks Again greg! Masked Intruder might want to be buy this song off you someday Sir! I see it as a future holiday classic in my house.

*grins* I came here hoping that you had created your annual masterpiece. It certainly didn't disappoint. Makes me want to start a similar tradition while my kids are still young... Thanks tons for sharing, Greg. I was smiling and laughing through both of them.

Late to the party but an awesome job as always. The kids sound REALLY EXCITED to be doing the song (where is the sarcasm emoticon?).

haha it sounded like a great time though.

For the Ghost of Christmas Presents what did you do with your vocals? I'm curious how you record them, with what, and what you do after. You and I obviously do different styles but your vocals do always seem to sit well. Not sure what the proper terms would be but they always sound like they were really well recorded. I doesn't sound like a dude in a room with a mic, it sounds just like the rest of your recordings (by that I mean really well done). I'd love to know the process behind that.

thanks for another fun Monday morning of jamming out to your stuff

For the Ghost of Christmas Presents what did you do with your vocals? I'm curious how you record them, with what, and what you do after. You and I obviously do different styles but your vocals do always seem to sit well. Not sure what the proper terms would be but they always sound like they were really well recorded. I doesn't sound like a dude in a room with a mic, it sounds just like the rest of your recordings (by that I mean really well done). I'd love to know the process behind that.
^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^

Ha awesome!!! Thanks Again greg! Masked Intruder might want to be buy this song off you someday Sir! I see it as a future holiday classic in my house.

*grins* I came here hoping that you had created your annual masterpiece. It certainly didn't disappoint. Makes me want to start a similar tradition while my kids are still young... Thanks tons for sharing, Greg. I was smiling and laughing through both of them.

Late to the party but an awesome job as always. The kids sound REALLY EXCITED to be doing the song (where is the sarcasm emoticon?).

haha it sounded like a great time though.

thanks for another fun Monday morning of jamming out to your stuff

Thanks a lot guys. Merry belated Christmas, and happy new year.

My vocals, wow, I think this is the first time anyone has mentioned my vocals besides to tell me that they suck, which I do usually agree.

Like everything else, I don't do a whole lot to them. I use an AT2020, stand about a pencil length from the mic, and just try to be loud and clear. I also know where to stand in my room, basically singing into a corner loaded with bass traps. Most often I don't even EQ the vocal tracks, but I do compress the bujeezus out of the vocal track. It evens everything out pretty well. From there I'll add some impulse response reverb or delay, depending on how I want it to sound. Generally whatever "space" effect I add is very subtle. It's there, but I don't like hearing a bunch of reverb decay or anything. And that's about it.

Thanks. Your vocals always sound well recorded. You're not going to be doing any duets with Beyonce but no one can call you out on the quality that's for damn sure.

Thanks a lot guys. Merry belated Christmas, and happy new year.

My vocals, wow, I think this is the first time anyone has mentioned my vocals besides to tell me that they suck, which I do usually agree.

Like everything else, I don't do a whole lot to them. I use an AT2020, stand about a pencil length from the mic, and just try to be loud and clear. I also know where to stand in my room, basically singing into a corner loaded with bass traps. Most often I don't even EQ the vocal tracks, but I do compress the bujeezus out of the vocal track. It evens everything out pretty well. From there I'll add some impulse response reverb or delay, depending on how I want it to sound. Generally whatever "space" effect I add is very subtle. It's there, but I don't like hearing a bunch of reverb decay or anything. And that's about it.

do you compress while tracking or afterwards during mixing?
After, in the mix. I don't do anything to anything on the way in. And when I say "compress the bujeezus out of them" I mean it. I compress my vocals super duper hard and nasty. I don't know if that's common, but it seems to work for me. What's funny is I'm pretty super-anal about getting everything right on the way in and doing very little to it afterwards. I regularly do nothing at all to my guitar and bass tracks. Drums, guitars, bass, nothing goes in without being the best it can be within my capabilities. I'll micromanage drum tuning, guitar sound, bass tone, mic placement, etc on everything. But vocals? I just yell that shit out and slam it to death in the mix.

Thanks. Your vocals always sound well recorded. You're not going to be doing any duets with Beyonce but no one can call you out on the quality that's for damn sure.
Cool, thanks. And I'd make Beyonce cook me pancakes and give me foot rubs. I'd own that fake ass kunt.

one more ..... what kind of mic pre and compressor?

No special mic pre. Just whatever is in the Firepod. I use a free Modern Antress compressor plug.
MCP.jpg

It's great to see you and the family still doing this. Sounds great and late Merry Christmas hope it was all the greatest and shit. Happy new year too.

Back