Members average number of mics and a list...

How many mics do you own?

Votes: 127 7.8%

Votes: 155 9.5%
  • 3-5

Votes: 408 24.9%
  • 6-7

Votes: 221 13.5%
  • 8-12

Votes: 326 19.9%
  • 13 or over

Votes: 399 24.4%

• Total voters
chessparov said:
The EV 664 is also good at winning Grammy's!

Just ask George Benson. (the song was"This Masqerade")
It was used for the "scratch" vocal and ended up a keeper.

Chris

Well in that case..... Maybe you better trade me for your dragonfly or your sm7:D I'll give you two 664's. Now I know that's a deal you can't refuse:D

Ok maybe just your mxl603's, I would miss these but, for you I'd do it.

Later

Dave

Microphones

The only thing I record in my home studio is my own voice.
But I love microphones and have a collection of vintage models I've used in my over 40 years on the job.
My favourite- RCA 77dx
RCA 74b
RCA BK5b
RCA Paintbush (can't recall the number)
Shure SM5
Shure SM7
Shure SM33
Sennheiser 421
EV RE20
EV 635a
Beyer M260
Marshall V67g
Also a bunch of older non working, display only models from the early days of radio.

here's my list:

neumann U67
neumann TLM 170
neumann CMV 563 tube
neumann gefell UM70
neumann gefell PM750
sennheiser 441
sennheiser 421
beyer M55
thiele M1 tube
MXL V67
behringer ECM8000

no further mics on my wish-list, but I'm desperately looking for a V76 preamp...

michael

1- Shure KSM 44
2- Shure SM 57's
2- Shure SM 58's
1- AKG D790
1- Vtec VT 1040
1- Oktava MK 219
2- Oktava MC012's

The KSM 44 I just bought new, and really like it. The MC 012's I bought new, The sm57's and 1 SM 58 I bought new, and the rest I bought from a guy for 50 dollars!

Showing off......

Neumann U87
Neumann TLM193
(2) Neumann CMV563's tube
(2) Neumann KM84's
B.L.U.E. MZ202 Blueberry
(2) RCA 74b junior ribbons
AnalogElectric CB
AnalogElectric BH-1 binaural head
Behringer ECM8000
BeyerDynamic M380 N(C)
AKG ST tube
AKG D-112
Horner Blues
Stedman SC3
(2) Oktava 012's
(2) Shure SM81's
(2) Shure SSM90 pzm's
(6) Shure SM57's
Shure SM7
Shure SM59
Shure beta 56
Shure 55SH Series II
Audio Technica C-87MKII
(2) Audio Technica Pro37R's
(2) Audio Technica ATM23HE's
(3) Sennheiser MD504's
(2) Sennheiser e609's
Astatic D-104
Electrovoice 635A

analogelectric:

Geeze who's the new rich kid in town:D let's go T.P. his house:D
I bet you have a chrome dimond back bmx bike too.......

Nice collection, would I be correct in assuming you're a pro???

If you have a sight give it a post, I'd like to take a look.

Later
F.S.

My personal mic collection sucks, if I need better stuff at home, which I rarely do, I borrow it from one of the 3 studios I use.

My stuff
2 SM57's
2 Sennheiser 835's
1 SP C-1
1 Apex 430
1 Behringer ECM8000

Crap I have used in the past 6 months that I don't own
Neumann u87
Neumann u89 (i like it better than 87)
Neumann tlm103
Neumann tlm193
AKG Solidtube
Lawson L47
Rode NT2
Earthworks TC30k pair
Blue Mouse
an RCA ribbon mic which I dont know the #
AT 4033
AT 4050

nothing exciting yet, maybe trying some fun stuff soon, though.

H2H

Freudian Slip said:
analogelectric:

Geeze who's the new rich kid in town:D let's go T.P. his house:D
I bet you have a chrome dimond back bmx bike too.......

Nice collection, would I be correct in assuming you're a pro???

If you have a sight give it a post, I'd like to take a look.

Later
F.S.

Yeah but I'm still pretty independent. Actually I have a Specialized mountain bike from 15 years ago. I do have an impressive collection of my old Cabellaro skate boards.

Here's my studio:
http://www.analogelectric.com

--AdamLazlo

analogelectric:
Did you record low, the breeders, and pedro the lion? I saw them mentioned on your homepage...
Thats kinda cool, I like the sound on many of their albums. Thats kinda what im striving for when recording my band, since we play music in a somewhat similar style.
/Jonas

AKG C4000B
AKG C418 (2)
AKG D112
Beyerdynamic MCE-90
Beyerdynamic M-422
EV PL-10
EV RE-27
Rode Tube Classic
Sennheiser E604 (3)
Shure Beta 57
Shure Beta 87

Jonkan said:
analogelectric:
Did you record low, the breeders, and pedro the lion? I saw them mentioned on your homepage...
Thats kinda cool, I like the sound on many of their albums. Thats kinda what im striving for when recording my band, since we play music in a somewhat similar style.
/Jonas

My best advice...Keep it simple. Explore the space in a room and make sure you have a definite vision on how it's going to sound. I can tel you that most sessions do not happen over a couple days but weeks worth of work. Things are tried parts get thrown out. Experimentation, fun, and patience is the key. Most of the Breeders stuff I did, for singles and such, we used fairly inexpensive mics. Kim really likes the sound of Shure SM7's and SM58's. Anytime I have a really really cheap mic she always wanted to try it. Half the time it would work for what she wanted and other times not. I was hired to record Low and Alan solo a couple times for compilations. I mostly used my Neumann CMV 563's and PZM Shure SM90's for ambience. Alan likes to use a mix of inexpensive mics and expensive mics. I was hired to record Pedro live once from a sub mix on the live console.

Are you recording everything yourself?

--AdamLazlo

2 thoughts

After reading most of the posts, I was about to say that I sure am missing a lot in using only sm57 and 58.

I started looking at Musician's frined site for some of the models mentioned above.

Then I looked up Newmann. The shock mount for tlm-103 is more than a lot of mics.

So the thought of getting a great sound for money isn't possible since the money sound is too far out.

The Marshall 603s is sold with the 2001 for $156, that's a surprise for sure, I mean for real. How is that possible?

Ok, then I read analogelectric using sm-5x and thinking maybe it's not so bad after all. But the sm-5x's are for vocals, it seems.

I need something for acoutsic guitar and maybe i'll sing into a SM-58 and not worry about the bleed. I do both live. I had been using sm-57 for the acoustic.

AdamLazlo: Yup, I record everything myself in our basement with loads of cheap equipment. If you're interested, or have any tips have a listen at figuresfromhere.iuma.com
/Jonas H

JunUnplugged,

It seems that the absolute best mics for recording acoustic guitars are condensors, such as the MXL 603s and Oktava MC-012's....and of course the more expensive models. You can purchase the MXL 603s separate for around $70. I go to my favorite store for these...eBay...and buy them new. Of course, you would have to have some sort of a Mic preamp for a condensor, such as might be built into your mixer.

The SM57's are ok for micing acoustics, but are better for micing amps, drums, and sometimes vocals, depending on the singer. I say most of this not so much as from experience, but more from what I've read from posters on this and other sites. I will be getting some SM57's soon, and just orderd an SM58, bundled with some other equipment on eBay. I so far own several Condensors of my own, and 3 cheap CAD 10 dynamic mics, so I need the SM57's to round mine out for basic recording needs...

3xsm57 .....$120.00 for the three
atm pro25..$50.00
atm25........$125.00
2xecm8000$30.00 each
2xmxl603s.$50.00 each
1xbeyerm88.$200.00
1xbeyer m260nc $100.00 what a bargain this was :))))

what i still require

2x studio projects c3's
1 x T3
1 xmxl v67
1x akg d112
1xbeta 58
2x ev re20's
1x Sennheiser 441

Id say if i had to add 2 more mics to this it would have to be a neumann u67 Stephen Paul mod and one of Stephens new mics when they have been realeased and then id say i think i have enough mics for alot of different applications :)))

Back